LB7 or LLY

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I've got a friend that has a 2003 LB7 and his buddy wants to to trade him pickups; his buddies pickup is a 2004 LLY.

Both pickups have around 200k miles, built transmissions, LS platforms, rims, and exhaust.
The LB7 has a an air dog 2, aftermarket intake, and ridge runner tuning.
The LLY doesn't have a lift pump, stock intake, and duramax tuner tuning.

I personally like my LB7 and wouldn't trade so I personally wouldn't trade but I can also understand how the injectors are more reliable, but there are some LLY's that over heat.
Figured I would put this up for him on the board so other with more experience than myself would give their thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
Yellowchevy

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I wouldn't let my lb7 go.........I just like it better and I can see why the guy with the lly would want to trade lol.:spit: I'm sure I'm stirring the pot on here and the lly boys will be chiming in shortly :roflmao:

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I would rather keep my LB7 too. People are too scared of the injector problem I think, they aren't that bad once you learn how to do them. Plus I hear LLY are a bitch to tune.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
pretty much same tuning i think, except you have the vane position to mess with. i would trade just because of the injector problem, and i like the vvt turbo. i think the biggest problem with the lly overheating is the turbo mouthpiece is so small from the factory. get an lbz or afe and you should be fine.

Fastorange

Jan 31, 2009
ohio
they are pretty much the same truck... put and ihi on a lly and its pretty much the same... ive always heard about them over heating but knock on wood mine never has

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I would personally rather have the LLY, but if the LB7 has been a good truck for him I say keep it. Too often we trade to get something better to find its got short comings.

Rwblaine82

Nov 29, 2011
I have a lly and never overheated once, it actually runs too cold. Been in my friends lb7, its a good truck too. He already did injectors in his BUT I did injectors in my lly too. Believe it or not all 8 failed on me 160 miles away from home, now it runs new.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I'm torn..... Love me some LB7 and no emission junk. However last night a remodel contractor dropped his LLY by my house so I could go through it and check for issues. He has no wrenching skills and always has other do work for him. Truck is an 04 Lily with 209,000 on the clock. Original water pump don't leak, original wheel bearings still ok, suspension wear parts check out, serp belt good, balance rates SPOT ON, desired vs actual SPOT ON, he said its never overheated, trans fluid changed once and still looks clean, no blow by, the list went on. Truck is freak of reliability. The only thing he's had done is a thermostats, and pump rub fix.

IDK it's a toss up. The grass is not always greener...

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Thanks guys. I told him if it were me I would keep it but that's my opinion.

I love my LB7 and wouldn't sell it even though I know the injectors will have to be replaced, gives me a reason to go bigger :D. Even so I would still keep it due to no emissions and I know everything about it. It really comes down to what a guy likes to do; get a pickup to what he likes then sell it or keep it.

The one thing he really likes is the sound of the variable vane turbo :D

Yellowchevy

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
If its a even trade then why don't he just drive the LLY for the weekend and see for himself what he thinks. If there isn't plans for added mods then I should take the LLY. The variable vane turbo is more fun driving when tined properly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Don't let the injector issues with LB7's scare you, do a search and you will find that LLY's are having injector issues to now. Got one in the shop now with 153K on it, and 5 of 8 were dripping fuel. One was so bad it was hydrolocking and wouldn't even start. Took the injectors out and pulled 3 apart and they were so worn I couldn't hardlt get the valve portion apart because of the wear grooves. And to me it wasn't that much easier getting the LLY's out than an LB7. The extra 2-3 hours to do LB7 injectors is better than the extra cost of LLY injectors when they fail, not to mention holding your tongue just right to get those rear LLY injectors out. And the new 09+ LB7 injectors have proven themselves to be pretty good.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Overheating is some what of a myth and tuning is easier than lbz's and lmm's that's a fact.