LB7 FPRV Shim Mod ???

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
How do you know if it pops?

Fuel rail pressure will fall off, and most likely will not come back up untill you allow the truck to come back to an idle, or maybe even sut it off and restart it. Thats what mine has done when it poped open anyways.

hot-dog

Feb 26, 2009
My truck has been having trouble holding rail pressure over 18k psi at 2500µs. Its a early 01 (build date December of 2000). it will start at 21k and then drop very quickly, and then spikes to 26k when i let off the throttle. I have ported the FCA but never even thought about doing anything with the fprv, do ya'll think that my symptoms sound like i should address the fprv?

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
Ok Im bringing this thread back again. I am having a problem with my truck not holding rail pressure. I am commanding over 25000psi and it is almost cut in half at WOT. but when I let off it jumps up to 26000psi and comes down fine.

Any suggestions? Where is the FRPRV located?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Ok Im bringing this thread back again. I am having a problem with my truck not holding rail pressure. I am commanding over 25000psi and it is almost cut in half at WOT. but when I let off it jumps up to 26000psi and comes down fine.

Just because you command it, doesn't mean you can hold it. Do an injector return rate test(bottle test), and I bet you will find it is bleeding off to much fuel.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
Just because you command it, doesn't mean you can hold it. Do an injector return rate test(bottle test), and I bet you will find it is bleeding off to much fuel.

Yes I know you may not be able to hold it if you command it. But for the LB7's at what point does it bleed off the fuel or is that what the bottle test will determine?

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
bullfrog did a nice billet block with new fuel return lines and pluged his rail pressure relief. I can't seem to find the pics of his setup? I am working on doing the same thing now to mine. I wish i could find the thread it was in it looked good!

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009

In the fuel junction box on the drivers side rail. Its normal to see a spike in rail

psi when you let off the throttle quickly. I'm going to plug mine as well, maybe

it will solve my rail psi issue.

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
I just fixed a fuel issue, and it was in the tank. There is a screen attached to the pick up hose, and it was plugged with junk. Cleaned it, drilled some bigger holes in it, and cleaned the tank and all is well. Can't delete it because it keeps the pickup off the bottom of the cup it sits in. I have a log of my truck making 23k rail at 50% throttle, go down to 8-11k almost instantly when I hit 75-100%. Now holds rail perfectly.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Can any of these lead to hard start issues? Weather the truck is warm or cold when starting?

Not that I've heard . You need to do a return rate diagnose as that could cause hard starting . You can check your balance rates on the injectors but a return rate is best.

I'm assuming your batteries are good.

millerman04

< The Man Cave
Jul 14, 2010
Clearville, Pa
Batteries are brand new as of a year ago. Balance rates seem good. Pinched off the return line and I had fuel spraying out up top on the motor. I think it was coming from the fuel pressure relief valve. I've read where if that happens then its weak and needs shimmed. Also read it can cause hard starts especially when motor is well warmed up. It's been started hard while warm for a while. But after it cooled down over night, it would fire right up the next morning.

FC5452

Mar 17, 2013
Eastern PA
So this seems to be the go to thread on the lb7. Have an 01 that intermittently decides to pop an 0093 cel, whether at load or just a leisure cruise down the road.
Truck has a bully dog on it which was run on 2 most of it's life of 98k.
Bully is set back to stock and been that way for a month now, at first I was leaning fprv, bottle test was not done, trying to get the owner to perform one. Besides the bottle test and me nor having a tech 2 to check desired vers actual is there any other things to check without 2K in equipment

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
So this seems to be the go to thread on the lb7. Have an 01 that intermittently decides to pop an 0093 cel, whether at load or just a leisure cruise down the road.
Truck has a bully dog on it which was run on 2 most of it's life of 98k.
Bully is set back to stock and been that way for a month now, at first I was leaning fprv, bottle test was not done, trying to get the owner to perform one. Besides the bottle test and me nor having a tech 2 to check desired vers actual is there any other things to check without 2K in equipment

It's not uncommon for the P0093 to be a false code on an 01. It is a known issue with 01's to pop it for no reason. Make sure it has the latest factory flash from GM in it 1st as early operating systems had problems. Quite a few of us have upgraded to an 02 operating system for several reasons, and this being 1 of them.

FC5452

Mar 17, 2013
Eastern PA
Thanks I'll bring that up to him, he has taken it to his mechanic and I'm having a hard time getting info back as to of he has checked balance rates , actual vers desired and whether or not a bottle test was done.
His mech would only say he could not find anything. It's a single cab which I'd love for him to sale me, damn thing is imaculately taken care of except for this issue.
I will make this suggestion to him, before he pulls the plug on a cp3.