LB7 FPRV Shim Mod ???

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I think there is some confusing info here or maybe I'm confused.

I believe it's a FRPCV which is a Fuel Rail Pressure Control Valve which is what this topic is about that pops on a LB7 that is located on the driverside fuel rail. There is no shimming that I'm aware of except they are plugged.

I had mine pop and they don't throw a code but they sure make a mess.

The FPCV is located on the CP3.

I believe the whole shimming thing came about on the LLY motors of FRPCV . No?

Last edited:

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
For simplicity's sake, I generally refer to the solenoid as the FCA, or fuel control actuator (I believe this is how Bosch refers to it as well) and the mechanical relief valve as the FRPRV or fuel rail pressure relief valve. But thats just how I keep it straight in my head...LOL! That being said, what are you guys opinions on plugging VS shimming for a weekend warrior/partial daily driver? I'm leaning more towards shimming just for safety's sake, but...to plug it and take away a possible weak point in the fueling system is very attractive...

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
For simplicity's sake, I generally refer to the solenoid as the FCA, or fuel control actuator (I believe this is how Bosch refers to it as well) and the mechanical relief valve as the FRPRV or fuel rail pressure relief valve. But thats just how I keep it straight in my head...LOL! That being said, what are you guys opinions on plugging VS shimming for a weekend warrior/partial daily driver? I'm leaning more towards shimming just for safety's sake, but...to plug it and take away a possible weak point in the fueling system is very attractive...

I for one am not a fan of plugging on an LB7. Injector bodies are too fragile IMO.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Mine isn't plugged but I recall the early LB7's had issue with them popping. From what I remember you could just get in there and tighten it back up I believe. I believe GM came out with a updated one as mine was replaced under warranty years ago. I do know that if you ran a early Pressure Box they were almost guaranteed to pop.

Nonetheless I believe there is nothing to gain there anyway on a LB7. It was the Lilly's where all this came about if I recall. On a heavily modified truck LB7 perhaps something has to be done,say a plug. Only the big dogs can answer that.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
The lb7 and lly's needed because they would pop when rail pressure of much over 24,000 was created. The lbz and lmm already had facory pressure of 26,000+ so the earlier two needed help with shims.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
I was told by a reputable source not to shim the LB7's. That it has an opposite effect to the LLY's and LBZ's. Thats why kit is not available.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I don't believe it's necessary unless you ramp up fuel pressure as Mike stated. Theres nothing to gain. If you have a early 01 although you'll have to address it as they have been known to pop even with out ramping up the fuel pressure. Been there done that :D

Rereading the original poster sounds like he has to address it

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
So far I've ran up to 27k and haven't popped mine yet. If you decide to modify it you would tap the end and install a plug then reinstall it. The return fuel can still go into the return line then. CP3's return fuel so it is necessary for it to work properly.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
What are you plugging? Are you putting a plug in the banjo bolt are in the fprv? I've been thinking about this for awhile since I started having problems holding rail pressure even when I had dual cp3s. My injectors passed the bottle test so I'm leaning toward the fprv not holding.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
What's the opposite effect?

Maybe I understood wrong, but when you shim it it raises pop off press. The way I understood explanation was shimming a LB7 lowers pop off press. and was told to remove the washers
that were installed installed.

joeracer01

Oct 18, 2010
Adding shims (washers) will compress the spring mechanically and make it harder for the fuel to compress the spring from the needle side.
This means more fuel pressure will be needed to make it release / open.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
It should work if you shim the spring on it. ive decieded im going to plug it i ust have to find out the plug size. if no one knows i will have to find one myself this weekend.