Kicking around the idea of a centerlink brace

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
Okeana OH/West Lafayette IN
There's only so much thread on the stock idler and pitman arm studs.

You make the center to center distance of the heims the same distance as the center to center distance of the pitman/idler arms.

Houser04lly

Feb 27, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
Thats good to know . Thank you for that info. The all seasons brace has one Hiem in the center? and then the brace is fastened to the idler and pitman arm studs on each side correct? I understand why it wouldnt work with the braces .. Studs are maxed out

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
Thats good to know . Thank you for that info. The all seasons brace has one Hiem in the center? and then the brace is fastened to the idler and pitman arm studs on each side correct? I understand why it wouldnt work with the braces .. Studs are maxed out

It doesn't use heims like the Tomac style. It uses a wear plate to rub against the diff housing when the centerlink tries to twist, saves you from having to weld/fasten a stud to your crossmember.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Again....find out what the Allseason brace is made out of...judging by his pics it is not any thicker. And again, the idler/pitman arm stud nuts were not fully engaged even with my stock centerlink w/ a flat thickness of .995"

Well same question back at you. Do you know if that steel is just mild steel like you used or chromoly? Why is it yours "looks" longer and has more angle? Your basing everything off a pic, it doesnt tell you much other than basic design. If theirs did what yours did, you would hear about it so obviously there is more to it than what you built. Its not a simple thing to do but with time and trial and error, you can build something that works.

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
Well same question back at you. Do you know if that steel is just mild steel like you used or chromoly? Why is it yours "looks" longer and has more angle? Your basing everything off a pic, it doesnt tell you much other than basic design. If theirs did what yours did, you would hear about it so obviously there is more to it than what you built.

Chromoly angle?? More angle? Has the same angle as any properly done brace, keeping the vertical bars perpendicular to the ground. It looks longer? Length (assuming you meant height) wouldn't matter, the same force would be applied at the studs. Actually a higher brace would be best and lessen the forces on the rest of it (torque moments). It's a weldment...there isn't anything hiding in the pictures other than the material.

For reference.
Steering-Bracket.gif

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Chromoly angle?? More angle? Has the same angle as any properly done brace, keeping the vertical bars perpendicular to the ground. It looks longer? Length (assuming you meant height) wouldn't matter, the same force would be applied at the studs. Actually a higher brace would be best and lessen the forces on the rest of it (torque moments). It's a weldment...there isn't anything hiding in the pictures other than the material.

For reference.
Steering-Bracket.gif

Then why did yours bend?

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
yet a well built Solid Brace would do the same

If you could use thicker material where it actually attaches to the centerlink or find some other way to attach it to the studs, besides using nuts to sandwich it against the flats on the centerlink, I think it would work awesome even if you didn't have perfectly flat tie rod angles.

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
Here is the one I built for my truck a few months ago. I used 3/8 by 2" stock. I used a 3/4 hiem link for the lower piviot point. So far so good.

Attachments

• Center link.jpg
    Center link.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 70

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Been running my Tomac style brace for 5 years or so. No issues. I have not had to replace the pitman and or idler since it's installation. Setting up the pivot on the frame was the hardest part.

Not near my truck right now or I would click a picture for you.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Here is the one I built for my truck a few months ago. I used 3/8 by 2" stock. I used a 3/4 hiem link for the lower piviot point. So far so good.

Forgive my ignorance, but I take it that is replacing the centerlink entirely instead of just a brace? Maybe it's the way I'm looking at it, but I can't get the fit in my head. Edit - I think it's the centerlink ends that are throwing me off.

Been running my Tomac style brace for 5 years or so. No issues. I have not had to replace the pitman and or idler since it's installation. Setting up the pivot on the frame was the hardest part.

Not near my truck right now or I would click a picture for you.

That's good to know you've had success for so long with this style of brace. If you could get a picture when you get a chance I'd like to see the design.

Do you notice any adverse effect on the steering during normal driving?