June '24 Chat -- June bugs or Cicadas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
How people handle death is weird to me.
when my Dad was dieing we kept his friends in the loop With basic big picture info. Which allowed friends from out of state be able to visit and say their good byes. It allowed friends to drop of home cooked dinners, others came by and cleaned the house, just visit and run errands for us. Couple friends setup a "meal train" for our family as well

just had a family friend pass last night, knew he was on the short end of life back in March when they brought him a hospital bed. He'd technically been terminal for several years. But was still active even having his lower leg amputated.

Got message from mutual friend that they started liquid morphine and Ativan and stopped all other meds yesterday, and he passed this morning.

What annoys me is there was no news between March and yesterday that death was emasculating him faster than before.

Having been in that situation just having someone be there, help with domestic stuff, just basically loving on the family makes a huge difference.

Definitely putting in my living will, that if im dieing slowly, to let my friends know. Vs oh BTW Adam passed last night, yeah he's been bed ridden for last 6-8 weeks slowly dieing.🤦🏻‍♂️

I just find how they handled the situation, all around disrespectful and disingenuous in regards to his friends.

It's hard to help when you don't know something is wrong..

IDK maybe I'm wrong on the whole thing.
Just my $0.02
Vent/Rant off

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I just find how they handled the situation, all around disrespectful and disingenuous in regards to his friends.

It's hard to help when you don't know something is wrong..

IDK maybe I'm wrong on the whole thing.
Just my $0.02
Vent/Rant

I can see your point, but it's also a family matter and some people are more private or have different family dynamics. Not to say its fair to you as a family friend. That's a excellent idea to put it in your living will though!

I'm not close to any of my family at this point in time. I wouldn't know who or how to contact any family friends anymore.

I'm also a "private" person. I've had friends that almost get "offended I don't ask for help". That's just not who I am. I'm not sure if it's just because I'm a lot more of an introvert in my old age or what.

Reactions: malibu795

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I can see your point, but it's also a family matter and some people are more private or have different family dynamics. Not to say its fair to you as a family friend. That's a excellent idea to put it in your living will though!

I'm not close to any of my family at this point in time. I wouldn't know who or how to contact any family friends anymore.

I'm also a "private" person. I've had friends that almost get "offended I don't ask for help". That's just not who I am. I'm not sure if it's just because I'm a lot more of an introvert in my old age or what.
I'm definitely an introvert as well Been most my life..
I not exactly "close" to my immediate family either, i rarely talk once a month to any of them.

I get your point, on the other hand, you don't seem to complain about not having "help".

It's definitely a double edged sword though.

Being respectful to me also means being at a minimum respectful to those I care about as well..

For some perspective, This friend has yelled at me for knocking before I come in his house at random visiting lol

Like I mentioned before maybe I'm way off on the Fringe edges of the topic.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Being respectful to me also means being at a minimum respectful to those I care about as well..

For some perspective, This friend has yelled at me for knocking before I come in his house at random visiting lol

Like I mentioned before maybe I'm way off on the Fringe edges of the topic.

I don't think your off on the fringes. You suffered a loss too. It's unfortunate for everyone. Let's just hope the wishes of the deceased where met before his time of passing.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I don't think your off on the fringes. You suffered a loss too. It's unfortunate for everyone. Let's just hope the wishes of the deceased where met before his time of passing.
We all need to be reminded sometimes that each person deals with a loss differently. Some want to be left alone, others want the support. And sometimes it's the wish of the person on the death bed to not burden others with their issues and to not involve more then necessary. Some want to see all their friends and family before going. It's different for each person and respecting their wishes is the best we can do

I agree about letting close friends and family know after the event as soon as possible if the deceased didn't want others to be involved at the time. But once gone it's nice to not be left in the dark for considerable time

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If you ask all us six kids, 4-2 we miss Mom more than Dad. Thats not to say we four DON'T miss Dad, its just we miss Mom a LOT.

Weird that I used the "June Bug" title this month, and this week I found our yard has been infested with Japanese beetles. Got traps all over.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
So.....have got 4 estimates. Lots of $$$ no matter which way I go.

It comes down to Amana vs Trane vs Ruud.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
What's after sale service look like?
Decided to live that phrase, "either shit or get off the pot". Decided on the American Standard/Trane setup. Overall better equipment quoted, and price difference is not so bad.

The company is 114-y/o local place. Excellent reviews.
And in the "incredibly small world" category: turns out I actually DELIVERED to his family on my route when the current owner was a kid. Absolutely blew my mind. He knew many of the same people I do.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Just in time for the heat wave to be over lol, I'm sure the HVAC tech will appreciate the cooler temps for install 🤣
I remember when I had my plumbing contracting business, this would happen. Summer time I would get repipe jobs that were in the attic and winter time they were under the house. The summer jobs I would disconnect a couple of the AC ducts, in the attic, and then go turn air on to 70 degrees. Then have a fan below the attic access blowing the inside air up through the opening. It would drop the temps 20-25 degrees but still 105 in there. Lots of water breaks

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Whoever was looking for an LLY ZF truck, here it is:

That truck is in good shape.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Decided to live that phrase, "either shit or get off the pot". Decided on the American Standard/Trane setup. Overall better equipment quoted, and price difference is not so bad.

The company is 114-y/o local place. Excellent reviews.
And in the "incredibly small world" category: turns out I actually DELIVERED to his family on my route when the current owner was a kid. Absolutely blew my mind. He knew many of the same people I do.
Have you looked into getting a multi-split AC?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I remember when I had my plumbing contracting business, this would happen. Summer time I would get repipe jobs that were in the attic and winter time they were under the house. The summer jobs I would disconnect a couple of the AC ducts, in the attic, and then go turn air on to 70 degrees. Then have a fan below the attic access blowing the inside air up through the opening. It would drop the temps 20-25 degrees but still 105 in there. Lots of water breaks
We do attic installs a lot down here in TX. That is one of the reasons I didn't want to get into HVAC. Then when the tech showed up to service my units a few weeks ago he did that..... damn if I had only known.... still glad I didn't get into HVAC. I'm a skinny guy so you can guarantee I'm gonna be crawling and all the shitty places.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I know the site has been mentioned here before, but have any of you ever bought special module programming access from CameraLoops.com before?

I'm on a project to upgrade the HMI and radio modules in the Regal to HMI 2.5 and it's more functional interface.

None of the regular sites I use for such things wants to use the 2017 modules I found out of a 2017 Regal, instead want me to buy new.

Just figured I'd ask.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I have not. But all my stuff is about 20 years old now.... I did have that special GM software but the license expired. I was going to see if it could be bypassed to make it useable again just haven't had time to look into it.

Reactions: TheBac
Status
Not open for further replies.