Job

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Seeing what members pay for homes and trucks and I would imagine insurance I'm interested to see what everyone does for a living.

I am a Marine...have been for going on 6 years.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I measure chit. :D

I started my own dimensional inspection lab in 1993, and somehow it's still running. In '93 about right now, I was working 12-20 hour days, 7 days a week. I only worked 8 hours on Christmas '93 though. It wasn't until the business was about 5 years old before I cut back to under 60 hour weeks. I'm probably there 30 hours a week nowadays.

It's still a small business, Kat works with me there. We have 5 employees, most have been with me more than 7 years.

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
I own a small business working on diesel engines and trucks and I work in a laboratory testing materials used in the production of concrete, designing and testing concrete mixes to meet certain criteria and seeing thats in placed on jobs in spec correctly and sample it from time to time. We also train engineers all the ins and outs of concrete.
Lots of windshield time and sitting in the truck really.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
I measure chit. :D

I started my own dimensional inspection lab in 1993, and somehow it's still running. In '93 about right now, I was working 12-20 hour days, 7 days a week. I only worked 8 hours on Christmas '93 though. It wasn't until the business was about 5 years old before I cut back to under 60 hour weeks. I'm probably there 30 hours a week nowadays.

It's still a small business, Kat works with me there. We have 5 employees, most have been with me more than 7 years.

Pretty neat story of how it began for ya. I'd love to start my own business just startup capital is where I see the most trouble.

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
Design, install, repair and generally maintain the CCTV, security system and fire systems for CBS Studios and CBS Television in Los Angeles. Between the 2 sites its 60+ acres with too many buildings and stages for me to count.

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
I work for a sheet metal shop, we do everything from furnace installs, high rise commercial hvac systems, ornamental metals, commercial kitchens, and welding of all metals. When we where busy we where 20 guys but we are down to 7 now. I also have my own machine ,welding , fab shop on the side that helps pay for bills new tool/machines and toys. Eventually I would like to transition to my own shop.

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
Ranch foreman and farmer. We have about 400+ head of angus/angus cross mama cows right now. And grow by about 20 head each year depending on how many replacement heifers we keep. We have a Hispanic family that lives on the place and they take care of them throughout the year. I generally just take care of the replacement heifers, bulls, and calves we raise on winter grain. When I'm not checking cattle I'm generally on a tractor or fixing one.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
Family business is a small 80 site 55+ mobile home community. I do sales and maintenance.

If anyone needs a good deal on a summer home hit me up :rofl:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Elevator Constructor, build, modernize, repair, and service Elevators. Ive done pretty much all of the deparments, right now im in new construction on an adjusters crew.

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I work for a Caterpillar Dealership servicing heavy equipment

I used to work for Cat driving a low bed and hauling all of their heavy equipment. Then I got into an industrial accident and broke my arm and lost my job. Now unemployed and taking a few classes debating getting back in a truck.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
I work for one of the heavy lift companies. We basically move or lift just about anything out there designed to be moved.

Was there when they installed the bypass section of the Bay Bridge in SF.

Missed 3,500 tonne b/c of the bay bridge thing going on.

Was there when 2,500 tonne left the ground and had legs put under it.

BombDocDiesel

Army Bomb Squad
May 20, 2009
Belcamp, MD
Jiz mopper at a peep show......wait; Custodial Engineer.

Seriously, Army for 16 years so far. Three years ago my career field actually started getting paid for what we do. We're still so screwed up even with $100-150K bonuses on top of all the special pays people are still jumping ship left and right.

USMC EOD is the smallest group out there and they don't get shit for pay. I respect the hell out of those guys. I would still being doing this job no matter what. I have no idea what's going to happen in a few years when I have to find a real job.