Is it possible to remove ABS and disable all warnings

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I dont have abs on my LBZ. Desoldered the the abs & brake lights when I put in my LEDs. No DIC message and codes only show up with a tech2/efi scan.

Yes, you have a "SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM" message in the DIC on initial startup, and a chime...

but obviously you just have to press a steering wheel button and the message goes away and you never see it again

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
No chime with the aftermarket radio. the stock radio got stolen out of my truck so the aftermarket head unit is hardwired in. But no, there is no service brake system on the DIC on startup. :confused:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Josh
Have you considered a tis2web reflash of tcm and ecm for a non abs built truck.

Bwaahaha an IPC from a "non-ABS truck"!?? What is this? 1990?

And since when does the ECM and TCM have anything to do with ABS? (other than on 09+ trucks with ESC/TCS, on those particular trucks obviously the ABS module is in direct comms with the ECM/TCM at all times)

A medium duty built truck uses a standalone abs system iirc and I don't think its on the comm bus.

No...thats incorrect.

Also you could just buy an ipc for a non abs truck.

See the first response above...

Guys. First of all, this is a GMT-900 that Josh is working on. NO CLASS 2 DATABUS. Only GMLAN. GMT560 kodiak/topkick is Class 2. So nothing out of a -560 will work in a -900. And second of all, all -560 trucks have ABS...so finding some "non-ABS calibration" is a fallacy because it doesnt exist. And third of all, -560 ABS systems are not "standalone", they communicate with the cluster etc..

And forthly, the ABS, SIR (airbag), and other "safety critical modules" must send a keep-alive "everything is ok, Im checking in" message to the IPC every second. If the IPC doesnt get this constant "system OK" message every second, it DEFAULTS to a "failure mode" that turns the warning lights and DIC messages on.

Problem with the ABS ---> ABS module requests warning light illum.

ABS module unplugged/missing ---> IPC sees no ABS module, and turns on warning illum itself

Ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
No chime with the aftermarket radio. the stock radio got stolen out of my truck so the aftermarket head unit is hardwired in. But no, there is no service brake system on the DIC on startup. :confused:

ah ok probably because you still have the ABS module plugged in. When you said "my LBZ has no ABS", I interpreted that as "I removed the ABS from my truck".

If you unplug the ABS module completely, or there is a severe fault such as low brake fluid, THEN it will say SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM.

If its just a wheel speed sensor fault, it will only turn on the ABS light...no DIC message.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
ah ok probably because you still have the ABS module plugged in. When you said "my LBZ has no ABS", I interpreted that as "I removed the ABS from my truck".

If you unplug the ABS module completely, or there is a severe fault such as low brake fluid, THEN it will say SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM.

If its just a wheel speed sensor fault, it will only turn on the ABS light...no DIC message.

If the vehicle speed sensor wire is severed, the SBS message flashes and the chimes and lights stay on full time...ask me how I know:D

PS: Call me back too.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Ok ben thanks for clearing things up.
Josh did not state make and model in first post. I did not see the pics.

Iirc federal law REQUIRED that all vehicles had abs starting in 2012. Most manufactures were ahead of that but I was hoping there was an easy solution.

And when I say med duty I mean 6500 7500 trucks not 450/550 kodiak.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ok ben thanks for clearing things up.
Josh did not state make and model in first post. I did not see the pics.

Iirc federal law REQUIRED that all vehicles had abs starting in 2012. Most manufactures were ahead of that but I was hoping there was an easy solution.

And when I say med duty I mean 6500 7500 trucks not 450/550 kodiak.

No, the recent federal law that went into effect requires all 2012 and newer vehicles under 10,000lbs GVWR to have ESC/TCS. (electronic stability control/traction control)

I think ABS was mandated years ago. Its been standard equipment on all GM pickup trucks/SUV's since 1995. Optional rear-wheel-only-ABS started in 1988 I think?

GM has had stability control on the short-bed HD single-rear-wheel trucks since 2009...The remaining long-bed SRW HD trucks got it in 2011. And for the new body style 2015 trucks, the duallys finally get stability control. 2014 and older duallys have only ABS, no ESC/TCS.

Due to GVWR, technically only the 1500 and 2500HD trucks under 10,000lbs gvwr are the only trucks required to have stability control...but GM decided it was an important thing to have on ALL of their trucks because it greatly reduces rollover risk, makes the trucks safer, and incorporates other nice features like trailer-sway-control, hill-start-assist, and panic-brake-assist.

Ford didnt put ESC on any of its HD trucks until 2011, and dodge didnt put it on any of its trucks until 2012, when it was finally made mandatory. So GM has been pretty far ahead of the curve on the safety forefront.

As far as the GMT-560 Kodiaks (GMT-560 is the 2003-2009 4500/5500/6500/7500 trucks), all of the 4500/5500 trucks have ABS standard. Im almost positive the 6500/7500 kodiaks have ABS standard too, but im not 100% sure on that.

Regardless though, the GMT-560 medium duty instrument clusters are totally different than the pickup truck instrument clusters and the software in them is in no way compatible. Its like asking "hey can I flash this LMM tune onto my LB7?!?!"

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Right on. You are seriously into these trucks. I can't remember all that. I know the abs on the big medium duty is all the same because we are always air gapping rear speed sensors.

I was thinking there were government or police calibrations that did not have abs.

I realize on can bus the tan and tan white circuits must flow through the abs module, or terminate with 120 ohms.
What will happen if they put a switch that controlled b+ to the abs lan wakeup terminal at the abs module?
Its in the data bus schematics.
Basically Just wake it up then let the abs go to sleep while driving.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
What will happen if they put a switch that controlled b+ to the abs lan wakeup terminal at the abs module?
Its in the data bus schematics.
Basically Just wake it up then let the abs go to sleep while driving.

again............IPC wont get the continuous "im awake and there are no faults" message from the ABS module if its powered down/asleep........and the IPC will turn on the warning lights and DIC messages.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Ok ben then how hard would it be to monitor the ack syn packages and basically record them. Put them on a box with the same timeout resend value as the abs module. Then splice it in to low speed lan. Basically broadcast the system ok message.
Use that in conjunction with wake up switch?
So that initial comm checks out ok.
I am not here to argue just brainstorming ideas.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ok ben then how hard would it be to monitor the ack syn packages and basically record them. Put them on a box with the same timeout resend value as the abs module. Then splice it in to low speed lan. Basically broadcast the system ok message.
Use that in conjunction with wake up switch?
So that initial comm checks out ok.
I am not here to argue just brainstorming ideas.

Sure you could do that.

But you would have to completely reverse-engineer GMLAN. Its all proprietary; there is no documentation on the message structure and formatting. Then you have to design a module to broadcast the message.

If someone wants to put a couple hundred hours into the R&D, and then come up with the module, all the power to them. But it wont be me...not worth the time and effort to sell, what, maybe 4 or 5 of these modules? You would have to charge well over 500 bucks to break even. No one is gonna pay that.

It would be 1000x easier to just make something that would duplicate the rear wheel speed sensor signal and input that replicated signal onto both front wheel speed sensor inputs to the ABS module. If I really wanted to do it, thats what I would do.

Ben

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Sure you could do that.

But you would have to completely reverse-engineer GMLAN. Its all proprietary; there is no documentation on the message structure and formatting. Then you have to design a module to broadcast the message.

If someone wants to put a couple hundred hours into the R&D, and then come up with the module, all the power to them. But it wont be me...not worth the time and effort to sell, what, maybe 4 or 5 of these modules? You would have to charge well over 500 bucks to break even. No one is gonna pay that. ...
Oddly enough, I am working on an unrelated project that requires basically all this R&D. Since it is being paid for anyway, I might just try doing the ABS spoof while I am at it.

This will be taking off early next year. If it works out, and I remember this thread, I can sell the OP a module for ~$150 (whatever cost ends up being). And Ben is right: if another company wasn't paying for the R&D, it would be ridiculously expensive.

But don't hold out for this. It will be a bit before I start, and it may not work out at all.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Would that be safe?
I think it would be ok ss long as all 4 wheels were doing basically the same thing.

I was thinking just take the abs module and hook it to a flash drive turn it on and record what it spits out. I know can bus passes a token around but the message we want is on low speed.
Who cares what it says just repeat the message.

That's what I was getting at with the on off wake up deal.
No onr is asking you to build a module.
We are just talking about cooky ideas and diesel trucks and maybe some how we will figure out something useful.
Thanks for the info

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Would that be safe?
I think it would be ok ss long as all 4 wheels were doing basically the same thing.
It wouldn't be anymore unsafe than what you are proposing.

No onr is asking you to build a module.
We are just talking about cooky ideas and diesel trucks and maybe some how we will figure out something useful.
Thanks for the info

I asked him to build me a box on the first page of this thread, and I like Ben's idea. I think it would work great. :D

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Ok glad you guys got a plan.
Keep us posted

The 09 speed sensors are digital so that may make it easier

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ok glad you guys got a plan.
Keep us posted

The 09 speed sensors are digital so that may make it easier

Its AC versus DC sensors. ;)

The FRONT wheel speed sensors have been the same DC sensors since 2001.

The 2009+ rear wheel speed sensors on trucks with ESC (IE, trucks that have independent wheel speed sensors for each rear wheel) are DC, yes.

duallys and 2009+ trucks without ESC only have the single AC speed sensor mounted in the tailshaft of the transfer case.

Ill have to test my findings on someone elses truck with factory 3-channel ABS because my truck now has 4-channel ABS with ESC retrofitted with rear-wheel-speed-sensors, so the ABS setup is unique/completely different than any other GM pickup truck (in the world as far as I know)...

Ill see what I can come up with.

Ben