Is it possible to remove ABS and disable all warnings

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
A friend of mine is building a truck with non-factory axles, and there is no way to hook up ABS on it. Even if there were, the tires are so big the ABS would never work right anyway. Does anyone know if it is possible to disable the ABS system so the light doesn't come on and the warnings don't pop up on the DIC?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It's getting the suspension built right now, but here are a couple of pics of the truck so you can see why ABS won't work. The tires are 52" military tires and the axles are out of an old 4wd medium duty Chevy truck.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 310
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 306

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
If you can't turn it off with EFI live, I would say just take the light out of the dash so the light doesn't come on. I my end up doing that to my truck because it is like 450 bucks for a new ABS pump.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
If you can't turn it off with EFI live, I would say just take the light out of the dash so the light doesn't come on. I my end up doing that to my truck because it is like 450 bucks for a new ABS pump.

You can find them at any junkyard for way less than 100 bucks all day long.

Ben

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
No, there is no way to remove the warning light and DIC messages.

Would you be interested in building some sort of fooler module that would plug in to the speed sensor and send signals to the ABS module for the front wheel speed sensors?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Dakota Digital (and probably many others) build speedometer correction boxes that basically just fool digital speedos. You'd need two, but you could calibrate the wheel sensors so they appear to be stock size tires. ABS might even work in that case (not sure how well...)

Ben (and any Electrical Engineer or Computer Engineer worth his salt) could build you a box to do that as well, but the costs for a one-off box might be off-putting. Unless there is a large market for this kind of box I am overlooking :rofl:

Keep the photos coming as the build goes along. That looks like it will be a fun rig.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
Josh, I don't know what the difference is between the bus I bought and the 2500-3500, but the bus didn't have a BCM and the ABS had its own computer. I never installed that stuff in my truck and I don't have any codes. The truck you have a picture of looks a lot newer then my LLY. Mark did the tuning and turned off the things that needed to be turned off so I wouldn't have any codes.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Josh
Have you considered a tis2web reflash of tcm and ecm for a non abs built truck. A medium duty built truck uses a standalone abs system iirc and I don't think its on the comm bus.
Also you could just buy an ipc for a non abs truck.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I am able to get abs sensors for the same size tires. They are for a CAT wiring harness and air brakes. Probably won't work but what do I know.

Basically in medium duty 650 6500 the ford international gmc all use the same systems...........you know the ones that always through rear wheel speed sensor codes for air gap?

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

TexasRob

Dec 19, 2012
Canyon Lake Texas
Basically in medium duty 650 6500 the ford international gmc all use the same systems...........you know the ones that always through rear wheel speed sensor codes for air gap?

Never said they worked right:D But figured I'd through my 2 cents in. your obviously more mechanically inclined than I am so I figured it was worth a shot.

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
I dont have abs on my LBZ. Desoldered the the abs & brake lights when I put in my LEDs. No DIC message and codes only show up with a tech2/efi scan.