Is it possible to mess up your alignment when launching in 4wd?

The End

Dec 9, 2012
On the way home from the drag strip last night truck pulls to the right. Just had it aligned Thursday.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
I would say pretty likely rather than possibly lol. When I use to race my lbz alot I did notice with sleeves and braces and bars cranked down the alignment would last a little longer but was still off leaving the track. Where were you racing at

The End

Dec 9, 2012
I have sleeves and I lowered the front, got good angles on the axles. I was racing at an 1/8 miles track in Lakeland Fl. I thought maybe I knocked something out but if I bent something that makes more sense.

What does everybody do to avoid that?

That solid axle swap is looking better and better everyday.

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
I've bent upper and lower steering shafts and messed up my gear box, could turn the wheel 90 deg. right and left but the tires didn't move!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You could have simply not put your torsion bar adjustments back to where you had them set before.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
You could have simply not put your torsion bar adjustments back to where you had them set before.
This is also a valid point. I have washers on my t-bolts so that after i let them down I can just snug them back up to the washers and know they are back in the right spot. Helps when you are adjusting them often.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
I counted the turns on the way down and used a paint pen and wrote the number on the frame. All Season's centerlink brace helped a lot on my 4wd launches and was an easy install.

The End

Dec 9, 2012
I got the truck lowered where I wanted it and then did the alignment. I'm leaving it low in the front so I won't be adjusting it up and down for the track.

Maybe I will try the centerlink, I was under the truck earlier and my idler needs to be replaced.

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
I've got a straight centerlink and sleeves. When I launch a few times it puts the alignment slightly out. On a plus note, I went and bought a lifetime alignment with Firestone that's good nationwide for as long as I own the truck and as many times as I want.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ive launched my truck many many times. Yet to have to go back and get an alignment.

If you got good steering parts and everything is sinched down tight, it shouldnt be an issue if you put the torsion bars back correctly. 1/2 turn off can make your truck pull one side or the other

The End

Dec 9, 2012
Ive launched my truck many many times. Yet to have to go back and get an alignment.

If you got good steering parts and everything is sinched down tight, it shouldnt be an issue if you put the torsion bars back correctly. 1/2 turn off can make your truck pull one side or the other

That's what had me thinking something is bent. I have the t-bars where I wanted them when I got the alignment and sleeves. I don't have to adjust them up and down after the track.

07bluelbz

Work Hard & Play Harder
Sep 6, 2009
Beaumont,Texas
That's what had me thinking something is bent. I have the t-bars where I wanted them when I got the alignment and sleeves. I don't have to adjust them up and down after the track.

That could be your issue. The bars need to be all the way down. Even if the cv's are straight,when you launch they wont be.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I stopped worrying about alignment 2 years ago. After 20-30 passes it would be out again and I'm not getting aligned every couple weeks. I think 4x4 launching messes up the steering box and damages the idler/pitman arms, no matter what mods you have.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
If you run your T-bars up and down it will mess up the alignment no matter if you get them exactly back too were they were. Better off leaving them in the race position all race season and then have the the front realigned at the end of the racing season. I ended up putting the entire Dmax store Kryptonite frontend on White Out...End of problem, and I drove it all over the country racing last year.