Injector stuck in cup

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Changing injectors on my truck, they are 165k originals and they look nasty. 6/8 came out smooth with junk on the tips but I got two that are stuck. One I can twist in its bore but won't come up and the other is plain ass stuck it won't move whatsoever. Any ideas or tips on how to get these out without ****ing them up so I can get my core return on them.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Ive used a slide hammer with a vise grip attachment on the end. The curvature of the vise grips will usually reach around the plastic part on the end and grip the metal body. Just make sure it doesn't slip and damage the plastic.

So far I have not been denied core even though it digs into the metal body. You might want to check with your injector supplier first though.

DewDewMax

Drive fast, take chances
Jul 9, 2014
Sudbury Ontario
heat up the cup with a small torch and twist the cup as you pull. sometimes you have to hit the cup downwards as you twist with a brass drift or a cold chisel

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
Put a pry bar under the hold down and screw a line on the injector,work it out with some pressure while pulling on the line.Cup will prob pull out.

DewDewMax

Drive fast, take chances
Jul 9, 2014
Sudbury Ontario
oh, sorry I thought you were trying to get the cups off the injector with them out! I use a big prybar under the hp inlet, always come out without damage

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Put a pry bar under the hold down and screw a line on the injector,work it out with some pressure while pulling on the line.Cup will prob pull out.

I've tried that just not real hard yet trying not to break anything, I'll have to give it another go. I don't have a slide hammer or that would have been my first thought too.

The other ones all came out really easy by just using a line as a handle

rg3whitelbz

Jan 19, 2013
Maryland
If you can't get it out tonight with prying you may want to find a snap on dealer tomorrow and get their puller tool. It's part number IPK 1330 or something like that.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Ohhh your not using an injector puller?

To get the cup off I usually take my two biggest screwdrivers, one on each side of the top of the cup then pop it off..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
To be clear the injector and cup are both still in the head. I'll see if any guys I work with have a puller tomorrow

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
If you need it I can send my injector puller out tomorrow. I don't think I have any Injector jobs this week

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I'd send you puller but I broke it on the 3rd injector!!:mad:
I had 2 that the cups came out the last time I did them. Being my injector puller broke I just took a socket and rotated the injector back and forth for a good 5-10 minutes. I then put a pry par underneath it and it popped right out!!

If that doesn't work I'd do the slide hammer for sure. I'd send you mine but its buried in my trailer with everything else for the move.

Yellowchevy

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
To be clear the injector and cup are both still in the head. I'll see if any guys I work with have a puller tomorrow

Don't worry about losing your core charge with us. That won't happen here! Give us a call tomorrow and I'll give you a few tricks to try.

pgr11

Sep 8, 2014
Hesperia, CA
I had one stuck real bad when I did mine a few months ago. Used a pry bar and a fuel line threaded onto the injector. It took 2 of us, one prying from the side through the wheel well and the other pulling up top. It took a little convincing but finally broke free with the cup still attached. To get the cup off I placed the injector in a vice and with 2 large screwdrivers worked the cup up. It still wouldn't come completely so I took a punch and hammer tapping upward all around the lip of the cup. It eventually came off. Looked like this after
ea3cbb9f33a33b2644c04ac877e53bf9.jpg

Cakes

Mar 14, 2014
Vegas
Did the prybar method a few times under the fuel inlet tab part of the injector body, if they're still in the head. One came out and what a pain it was to separate the 2 afterwards.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i got a puller and/or adpater that will work.

old injector hard line nut welded to a universal joint welded to a nut that threads onto my puller. never had one so stuck like your saying but its worked on some stubborn ones.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I've never had one I couldn't get out with this.. Knock on wood... I've got an injector job Thursday

4cac83effb3b364fb1d6f684f6ab950b.jpg

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
One I can work side to side its just being stubborn and will probably pull the cup with it, no big deal. The other one I can't move at all.