Injector Questions?

PlayGun

Feb 17, 2012
Tennessee
Hey guys I have been looking through various websites at injectors and something has me concerned. I know from past experience that you have to replace injectors sometimes, or you just do it for performance reasons. Am I reading it wrong or are injectors for the LB7 300-500 bucks a piece????? I could buy a whole set for my Dodge for that price, again I could be reading it wrong but it looks that way to me.:eek:

PlayGun

Feb 17, 2012
Tennessee
WOW, so a man needs to save up and be ready for that one. So you could drop 2 grand on injectors in a heart beat. Why are they so expensive, are they more advanced than the dodge injectors? And where does a man find the best deals on them? And are they a good long lasting injector or do they foul allot?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
WOW, so a man needs to save up and be ready for that one. So you could drop 2 grand on injectors in a heart beat. Why are they so expensive, are they more advanced than the dodge injectors? And where does a man find the best deals on them?

which Dodge? are you comparing 12v injectors to high pressure common rail injectors?

PlayGun

Feb 17, 2012
Tennessee
which Dodge? are you comparing 12v injectors to high pressure common rail injectors?

Yes sir, I had a 97 12 valve and I now take back my previous statement, because I forgot to think,lol. I forgot that the common rail injectors make upwards of 20000 psi. Well that would explain the cost. Those good ole 12 valves, hard to beat on cheap mods, they are like the small block Chevy of diesels. I am still gonna buy a Duramax though, they drive sweet, Chevy has the best interiors and they have the best tranny in the business. I'm just gonna have to put 2k back for injectors. Are the sets of Bosch injectors they sale on Ebay for 1600.00 legit? And are reman set for 750.00 ok to use as long as they are spec'd?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
look into an 04.5+ the injector issues were overcome by a redesign of the injectors... 01-04 are internal(under the valve covers) LLY(04.5-05) LBZ(06-07) LMM(07.5-10) LML(11-current) don't have the same issues their injectors are also not under the valve covers so injector replacement takes a fraction of the time compared to LB7's

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Avoid lb7's if possible. Lly and up rarely have injector problems. If you do get an lb7, if and when it comes time to replace injectors make sure they are Bosch remans and I'm sure you can find them for under 300 a piece

Blackhawk878

Jan 16, 2012
Grovetown, GA
So would upgrading nozzles on an LLY be beneficial to injector life if you are doing some heavy tuning? From what I understand it will help the motor (less timing, etc.) but what about the strain on the injector itself? Seems it would be better in the long run since less pulse width required for the same amount of fuel.

Also, any reason I shouldn't just go with bigger nozzles for 100K mile injectors on an LLY rather than rebuilding them completely? Understand need to have them bench flowed either way just want opinions/thoughts.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
So would upgrading nozzles on an LLY be beneficial to injector life if you are doing some heavy tuning? From what I understand it will help the motor (less timing, etc.) but what about the strain on the injector itself? Seems it would be better in the long run since less pulse width required for the same amount of fuel.

Also, any reason I shouldn't just go with bigger nozzles for 100K mile injectors on an LLY rather than rebuilding them completely? Understand need to have them bench flowed either way just want opinions/thoughts.

I can only share information that i have learned first hand... Since 07 I have ran 3300 pw on stock injectors with big timing as high as 38* to no ill effect. If i wanted more power I would upgrade my injectors but at 700hp im happy where im at :D

Blackhawk878

Jan 16, 2012
Grovetown, GA
I can only share information that i have learned first hand... Since 07 I have ran 3300 pw on stock injectors with big timing as high as 38* to no ill effect. If i wanted more power I would upgrade my injectors but at 700hp im happy where im at :D

Fair enough. Ya, sometimes I get to far into the protect everything as much as possible.

PlayGun

Feb 17, 2012
Tennessee
I may just spend the extra cash and buy a 04.5 or newer. The injector thing is starting to spook me a little. I just really liked the body style of those trucks.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
I see injectors fail on all of the duramax engines, the key to injector life is keeping water out of the fuel and good filtration. The later injectors for the lb7 seem to have evened out the playing field quite a bit. As far as I'm concerned you guys should keep buying LLY, lbz and LMM trucks so it keeps the lb7 prices down for us guys who aren't scared

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I may just spend the extra cash and buy a 04.5 or newer. The injector thing is starting to spook me a little. I just really liked the body style of those trucks.

If you go with a lb7 try to get one that had them replaced by the dealer already. If you do get a lb7 I'm a lot cheaper then the prices you posted for injectors heck I can send you ones 30% or biggier for the prices you posted. With a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty.You will have to put out for a core charge at first but you get that back.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
If you get an Lb7 take it to a good dealership or diesel shop before you buy it and have the fuel system all checked out. That way you'll know if you're going to need to do them soon or not. It's cheap insurance really, if I'd have done that I'd have gotten my truck for less than half what I paid for it.

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

Find a 2006-2007 LBZ and dont look back. Best two years of the Dmax, bar none. (But I still like my LB7. :))

PlayGun

Feb 17, 2012
Tennessee
Find a 2006-2007 LBZ and dont look back. Best two years of the Dmax, bar none. (But I still like my LB7. :))

Yeah that's what Diesel Power said too. But man I like the body style of the early LB7 trucks. And I checked prices and it pretty much doubles, so that's not gonna happen,lol. I am a carefull driver and always service my vehicles on time with good quality parts and lube. I think I may go for the LB7 and have my buddy (GM Certified Diesel Mech.) check it out for me to make sure there are no trouble codes. We used to hang out alot but not so much anymore, but were still friends. Anyway, I'm gonna go for an LB7 I just like the look of those trucks, and I can score a pretty nice stock truck for 10k. Both of the trucks I have found are owned by men over 55, (that don't mean they didn't hammer them) and thats a good indicator they were at least taken care of, and they have records from the local Chevy dealership, with the money I save from not buying the newer model I could buy a couple sets of injectors:hug: Thanks for the help guys, and I would love to have the 06-07 truck, but I just love the look of the 01-04 trucks. You guys are gonna hear alot from me, when I was at the Cummins forum I was always on.

Springer415

slowly gettin' nowhere
Nov 10, 2011
Delton, Mi
I work for John Deere and some of our injectors run upwards of $1200 a piece but that is not here nor there. If you want an lb7 at least get on 03-04 do to the new electronics similar to the later duramax's.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006

Tom im honestly not a believer in that... absolutely some LBZ's run big power and live where others aren't so lucky. Not because I have one but IMHO its kinda hard to look at LLY's as being inferior to the LBZ's. My truck has made good power for a long time and as far as I can tell to no ill effect.