injector balance rates ????

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
Is that in park or drive? If park I would suspect #8. What are the issues you are having? Smoke at idle?

LBZMIKE

Nov 15, 2014
colorado
That was in park and cold about 30 out and not warmed up but i dont have any issues at all other then low rail pressure when geting in it

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Try it again once it's warmed up. Unlikely a bad injector is causing your low rail pressure, especially in a LBZ. 4.1 is borderline, but that doesn't mean much at cold engine.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Try it again once it's warmed up. Unlikely a bad injector is causing your low rail pressure, especially in a LBZ. 4.1 is borderline, but that doesn't mean much at cold engine.

It can actually cause rail issues... My LLY had 2 that were returning to much fuel but all 8 had perfect balance rates. Big tune would only hold 18k rail. Might not be this guys issue but can't be ruled out yet.

op we need more info on your truck, what do have done to it and what tuning?

LBZMIKE

Nov 15, 2014
colorado
I have egde evo on 100 hp tune here is a pic of it warmed up good

Attachments

• 1418236070573.jpg
    1418236070573.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 80

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
It can actually cause rail issues... My LLY had 2 that were returning to much fuel but all 8 had perfect balance rates. Big tune would only hold 18k rail. Might not be this guys issue but can't be ruled out yet.

op we need more info on your truck, what do have done to it and what tuning?

It definitely can, but is much less common than other issues you'd expect in a LBZ. Balance rate also doesn't necessarily indicate high return flow rate... that's a separate test.

Before I went changing injectors because one is borderline, I would look at the CP3 and FPRV first.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
It definitely can, but is much less common than other issues you'd expect in a LBZ. Balance rate also doesn't necessarily indicate high return flow rate... that's a separate test.

Before I went changing injectors because one is borderline, I would look at the CP3 and FPRV first.

Agreed, I think we are saying the same thing... My truck had 2 injectors returning way more than spec. but both had perfect balance rates. It would only hold 18k rail on the big tune with those 2 injectors being bad.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Agreed, I think we are saying the same thing... My truck had 2 injectors returning way more than spec. but both had perfect balance rates. It would only hold 18k rail on the big tune with those 2 injectors being bad.

Ya return rate test would be a good thing to do, before swapping any parts out. Cheap and relatively easy.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Hold on. First thing is do a bottle test on that race valve you put in... Sometimes they don't seat properly.

Also does it pop a rail code on every tune, even stock?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I had a race valve in my LBZ and every time I towed it popped a P0087 code. I put in a factory valve with 3 shims and no more issues.
I believe it's hit or miss for the race valve to seat proper unless it's in a PPE rail and installed with a good dose of Vaseline on the valve seating face as well.

To the OP set it back to stock and check your balance rates again with it warmed up to operating temperature and in park.
Also do a bottle test with your 100hp tune and see if its returning any fuel past the valve. If it passes this you need to get injector return rates checked.
IIRC this needs to be done with a Tech 2.

LBZMIKE

Nov 15, 2014
colorado
I also just ordered the shim kit for my original fprv due to all the people saying they suck and from what i can tell everyone suggest that i put all 3 washers in ???

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
If it passed the bottle test, the race valve is probably not the issue...

One more time, does it loose rail pressure on all the tunes, stock included?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
If it passed the bottle test on your 100hp setting then it's not the race valve.

You need to check balance rates on stock before you start throwing parts at it. Also what fuel fittings do you have ported?