Inflation .... whats your thoughts on todays Markets?

Jul 29, 2021
Chinas Evergrande actually isn’t the problem. The problem is that it tips the cards to a more systemic problem in the Chinese economy. Everything there gets propped by the Government. Note, I’m speaking from direct past experience trying to start up a company there.

It won’t be just Evergrande. It may not be tomorrow. But in the next couple of years, that government will have more than a couple of Evergrandes fail at the same time. When the losses get upwards of $1t, then the government will struggle to cover and we will be impacted.

As for fall of 2021, it won’t affect us much.

Don’t pull out of the markets altogether. Inflation will consume the value of your cash and make you poorer. Just go for conservative yield and any dividends you can get in the short term. Keep growing those assets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
bringing this back up, what are your guys thoughts on things. Still trying to wrap my head around the idea that the dow is holding descent, we havent had a total crash yet, unemployment is down, help wanted sign everywhere, steel is finally on the down turn...

i always thought a crash would come, now i am starting to think we are going to become stagnant for a long time.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
We are in a bear market and will probably be so until Q4 2023 . Getting investments to grow will be tough for some and not possible for others depending on what you invest in. High cost of living is cooling off the economy and the work available will follow until late next year.

IMO we won't have a crash like 2008 because this isn't a over leveraged housing market like that. Over priced sure but nowhere near the same.

Reactions: 68ss

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
We are in a bear market and will probably be so until Q4 2023 . Getting investments to grow will be tough for some and not possible for others depending on what you invest in. High cost of living is cooling off the economy and the work available will follow until late next year.

IMO we won't have a crash like 2008 because this isn't a over leveraged housing market like that. Over priced sure but nowhere near the same.
It definitely won’t be the same but I’m seeing people tightening their spending. Is it from fear of a crash, or are people running out of money 🤷‍♂️. I seen a lot of people over spending because of the added benefits during the pandemic and they have become accustomed to the lifestyle they were able to afford. But this is based on the restaurants we own, I feel like I at least see quick changes with peoples behaviors when anything happens, stock markets, weather, news. It all changes our busy hours and what people spend. The amount of declined credit cards is up about 10000% compared to the last two years.

Reactions: 2004LB7

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
my cousin works as a mortgage broker. i asked her how things have been at work, she says the past couple weeks have been completely dead.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
High cost of living is cooling off the economy therfore it will lower the amount of work out there so potential for layoffs, less hours, etc.
this

it will drive to less spending when the money starts to run out. the Biden cash will dry up and people will start to tighten up. this will cause less revenue for business so layoffs will follow. layoffs will create loss of a paycheck so even less spending. more will end up on unemployment and the economy will slow. essentially what we would call a recession

housing will suffer because many buying at todays ridiculous prices will not be able to afford them when layed off. more houses will end up on the market causing the prices to fall. homelessness will increase more then it already is. stocks will be down, etc.

it has the potential to be worse then the 08 recession but it really depends on how it's delt with right now. or more specifically last year. so far it's not looking good

Reactions: gmduramax

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
it has the potential to be worse then the 08 recession but it really depends on how it's delt with right now. or more specifically last year. so far it's not looking good
If the movie the big short has taught me anything is that anybody could get a mortgage prior to the 2008 crash 🤣 I'm hoping banks did better this time because people are dumb.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
what do you mean when you say the work available?
Around here you'd have to be pretty blind to not find a job making $20/hr with little experience even. Most are just afraid of "work"
my cousin works as a mortgage broker. i asked her how things have been at work, she says the past couple weeks have been completely dead.
Well maybe more people have come to realize mortgage brokers are worthless
High cost of living is cooling off the economy therfore it will lower the amount of work out there so potential for layoffs, less hours, etc.
Only places around here looking to cut back are hospitals, and even then it's only certain areas. The imaging dept my wife works in will probably clamp down on OT and unnecessary schedule openings, but at the same time the Hospital offered RNs a $10k sign on.

My employer is still needing to hire, very big backlog like in 2012-2013

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Around here you'd have to be pretty blind to not find a job making $20/hr with little experience even. Most are just afraid of "work"

Only places around here looking to cut back are hospitals, and even then it's only certain areas. The imaging dept my wife works in will probably clamp down on OT and unnecessary schedule openings, but at the same time the Hospital offered RNs a $10k sign on.

Recessions take time to get into and the after effects as well. What's happening now will probably really be showing its true colors in 9-12 months.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
We are seeing a slow out here in AZ

flooring installers were 6-8 weeks out, now they are about a week. Major distributors are holding stock for longer. Builders are seeing a slow in purchase rate but vendors are catching up on products. Windows went from 4-6 months to be installed to about a month.

all of it is "catching up" and not due to waiting on products or items. On my side of things, ive not seen the slow as dramatic as AZ based distributors have. out of state, it seems to vary. im betting within a few weeks, we will see a drop in orders.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
my family is deep into the scrap industry, and it has slowed waayyyyyy down. non ferrous is next as well. That will follow through to the metal as well, as the price of steel has been going up and is over 200 percent higher then it was 2 years ago.

i think things are slowing because of the interest rates, idk if its because shes a mortgage broker lol

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Also, for the first time in a year and half, im finally staffing back up on workers. Indeed seems to be the best place we have tried and in teh last 2-3 weeks, weve brought 3 guys on. those positions have been open this whole damn time

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
We are still building like crazy here in Houston. I'm not sure if it will take more time for the down turn to hit us because our oil industry or what. When the last recession hit if didn't affect us until 09.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I haven't seen much about it on the standard News outlets but have any of you been following things going on in other markets Like in China and India?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Volume has dropped over the past couple months, so people arent spending like they did the last couple years. '23 is going to get interesting.

Reactions: Yngdmax92

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Also, for the first time in a year and half, im finally staffing back up on workers. Indeed seems to be the best place we have tried and in teh last 2-3 weeks, weve brought 3 guys on. those positions have been open this whole damn time
I think you may be lucky 🤣 we still have a location closed because we can’t staff it. And I’m stuck working weekends. But hey in better news this thread is still going and everyone is getting along 🥰

Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
the employees we have hired prior to this whole mess are still with us. the ones we hired in the past year or so are pretty worthless. we've gone through probably a half dozen over a year. most just get up and quit. so.e didn't even last a month. some that lasted longer called out so much it was like they weren't even there

hopefully this new batch will be worth something and will last.

the only good thing about all of it is at least we are getting more people applying then during the pandemic. we where so under staffed but no one wanted to work. only recently did that start to change. I'm wondering it their stimulus money and unemployment is running out so they are forced to look for work