"If it's possible.... custom turbo?"

zfuller123

StarLite Diesel
Sep 2, 2006
Utah
www.starlitediesel.com
Hello all:

I have a question that is most likely stupid, but i'm dumb so i'm going to ask it anyhow.

I've read Pat's posts about "which turbo is right for me", and i think for what i want to do - the GT 4094 is what i'd go after from his advice and what i've read.

I "try" to race the truck every now and again at the track, and about every saturday on the streets. However, like most, it's a dual purpose dually :)

I have a 42' toyhauler i pull with it as well, and EGTs are somewhat of a problem, even with stock tuning. So, for all these things i'm getting ready to do a turbo.

Now for the fun part. My brother works at a very large company - Detroit diesel. He works at a plant where they build (and rebuild) just about everything diesel you could ever imagine... including all sorts of Garrett turbos. And after hitting up a buddy of his that's over the turbo 're-man' department, apparently i can get one "cusotm built" if i provide the specs. I'm sure i could get the standard 4094 no problem if that's all i wanted, but since the opportunity has presented itself - and apparently presented itself somewhat cheaply - i'm wondering if Uncle Pat and anyone else might have some ideas on what i "should get" or if 'custom built' really doesn't mean anything at all for my application? It would seem that if it's really possible to 'tweak' one of these things, some of you here might have some excellent ideas on what could be done to maybe reduce low end lag without losing top end, etc. etc. etc. I would think if this pans out, for somebody out there this could be a dream come true to have one built to suit... so, how would you have it built?

Any input greatly appreciated, as well as all advice on "what" i'd need to tell them for the application (T3 or T4 pedestal, etc. etc.... remember, i'm dumb and would end up with a turbo that could only run a freight train).

Thanks!!!

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
No sense in re-inventing the wheel if you don't need to. Any charger significantly larger than either GT4094 or HTT S300G will limit your towing ability at cruising RPM.

Hybrid chargers are great (that's what both the 4094 and HTT started out as), but you need to dink with them to get the right combo.

zfuller123

StarLite Diesel
Sep 2, 2006
Utah
www.starlitediesel.com
do you think the 4294 (which is somewhat mentioned in your post 'which turbo is right for me' is too much? Can tuning help to compensate for the possible lag that might be experienced with that larger turbo - especially when taking off with the 5th wheel behind me.

I tow down the highway 65 - 75 MPH, and definitely want to be able to maintain that up many of the grades (they are not so much steep as they are long) without having the egts pegged at 1350 and the motor being defueled (I use the Banks when towing to keep things safe).

So per my question, i'll just see what a 4094 and a 4294 costs, and then make a decision based on your feedback. Can you tell me what i might have to have 'fabricated' to make either of those work? Also, Chris told me to ask about the pedestal... which i'm clueless about, so if you can tell me which one i'd need that way....

Once agian, thank you for your advice. I appreciate it even though i'm sure you don't even remember who i am.... (you're an announced 'sponsor' on my truck at the local drag strip though... trying to get your name out here in Salt Lake) - as well as make sure i stay in front of the local dodge boys.

smith6.6

Aug 14, 2006
waukesha Wi
I've been running the HT for almost a year know and Ihave a 34.5' toy hauler that turbo works very well I wouldn't go any bigger if your going to tow you will end up with really high EGT.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
from all experiances reading about the 42 series is that it is too big for towing aplications, it takes too long to spool and when it lights its not towable, there is a member on here running a 4202 and he tried towing a 20 something gooseneck with fourwheelers on it with results he was not happy with, i would say stick with the htt or the 4094

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
do you think the 4294 (which is somewhat mentioned in your post 'which turbo is right for me' is too much? Can tuning help to compensate for the possible lag that might be experienced with that larger turbo - especially when taking off with the 5th wheel behind me.

I tow down the highway 65 - 75 MPH, and definitely want to be able to maintain that up many of the grades (they are not so much steep as they are long) without having the egts pegged at 1350 and the motor being defueled (I use the Banks when towing to keep things safe).

So per my question, i'll just see what a 4094 and a 4294 costs, and then make a decision based on your feedback. Can you tell me what i might have to have 'fabricated' to make either of those work? Also, Chris told me to ask about the pedestal... which i'm clueless about, so if you can tell me which one i'd need that way....

Once agian, thank you for your advice. I appreciate it even though i'm sure you don't even remember who i am.... (you're an announced 'sponsor' on my truck at the local drag strip though... trying to get your name out here in Salt Lake) - as well as make sure i stay in front of the local dodge boys.

So did you get a turbo?

zfuller123

StarLite Diesel
Sep 2, 2006
Utah
www.starlitediesel.com
havent updated the sig yet. still in the 'beta' testing stages of everything. it runs... just not right or consistent, and waiting to get 'my' turbo back from Nathan (MPI) to get things shoved back together and see where we get.... Top charger is Stage 2 Danville though... and i love it.

zfuller123

StarLite Diesel
Sep 2, 2006
Utah
www.starlitediesel.com
yes... had to. blew the poor LLY up. been a long road, but so far it's seeming pretty promising. got lots of people that really want me to chuck dual fuelers on.... but i dont want to hurt this motor. When i have my full setup back on it, i should have WAY more air than i'll need - which was the idea... keep egts way down, especially when towing... though the towing part is still under construction too. didn't have a good experience the first trip out this year.... but lugging 20k behind an 8000 # truck full of people and gear... pretty good load. goes as fast i want it to up any of the hills i've found so far... just fighting the LLY heat demon... i got something for it's ass on the next trip though.:D

POUR'N COAL

Feb 22, 2007
havent updated the sig yet. still in the 'beta' testing stages of everything. it runs... just not right or consistent, and waiting to get 'my' turbo back from Nathan (MPI) to get things shoved back together and see where we get.... Top charger is Stage 2 Danville though... and i love it.
Your sig is worse then mine :rofl:

zfuller123

StarLite Diesel
Sep 2, 2006
Utah
www.starlitediesel.com
k... i'll tell you what i got if you tell me what you got.... i really want to know how that switch hooked to your gas pedal turns on the third cp3 and extra turbo in your truck box though. I just don't understand how you can do that in that big white monster...:coolspot:

zfuller123

StarLite Diesel
Sep 2, 2006
Utah
www.starlitediesel.com
i wasn't going to go to Montana... i wanted to, but when you told me about it last week (last event i guess) i didn't have enough time to get it cleared from work to get it off. I'd LOVE to go, but i can't get it off on that short of notice. Trucks not ready anyways unless this tune i'm getting ready to go dump in it tonight and test fixes my defuel/ rail drop problem. been fighting that all week. Had Matts guys put that regulator AND rail plug in and still dropping rail like a mo fo when it spools up about half the time...

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i wasn't going to go to Montana... i wanted to, but when you told me about it last week (last event i guess) i didn't have enough time to get it cleared from work to get it off. I'd LOVE to go, but i can't get it off on that short of notice. Trucks not ready anyways unless this tune i'm getting ready to go dump in it tonight and test fixes my defuel/ rail drop problem. been fighting that all week. Had Matts guys put that regulator AND rail plug in and still dropping rail like a mo fo when it spools up about half the time...

ya i remember now , Damn if that race valve didnt fix it WTF :( sorry man you just cant catch a break on your truck . let me know if you need a hand , wish you were able to come with us .

Last edited:

zfuller123

StarLite Diesel
Sep 2, 2006
Utah
www.starlitediesel.com
I'm going to go out and test again friday night and see what happens. Trying some tuning changes - but it is as freak a thing as i could have happening - and it literally is random. I have one log thats about 2 minutes long. All boosted launches. The very first run i try it starts spooling great - hits 2200 rpm give or take and them wham - rail drops to 15000 while still commanding 23061.... regulator even opens all the way up to 0.0 mA and 60000 mm3 flow. Nothing. So i let off the break roll a few feet with my foot on the floor then give up. go about 500 feet down the road while still logging, turn around and line up and try again. spools to 2600 rpm and roasts all 6 of em for about 100 feet. run it to 50 mph give or take then let off and slow down. turn around do it again to 2400 rpm take off like a bat out of hell (hooked better this time for some reason :D) and run it up to 60 mph. All of course same tune, same everything. lift pump never drops below 9 psi. I'll be go to hell if i have any thoughts left. at the mercy of smarter people now.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
the only idea i had was the fprv was popping off but if they put the race valve on there thats impossible . maybe start a new thread and see if anyone else has seen this problem before .