"If it's possible.... custom turbo?"

zfuller123

StarLite Diesel
Sep 2, 2006
Utah
www.starlitediesel.com
ya... i think after i drive it tomorrow and mess around with it, if i'm still seeing the problem with this WAY different tune, i'm going to start posting logs and everything else. Picked Matts brain, Larrys brain, Guys brain and still have a couple more to go that i haven't wanted to bug yet - but damn... not finding any indications of any other problems and in general, the truck runs too damn good to have an injector or some other problem like that. balance rates are beautiful - on and on about how pretty it is 'on paper'.:)

Have fun for me up there! one of you guys win some money! Wish i was going - i tend to do well at the money events...

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
the only idea i had was the fprv was popping off but if they put the race valve on there thats impossible . maybe start a new thread and see if anyone else has seen this problem before .

Actually it is possible and when it does leak with the race valve it useally takes the fuel rail out with it.......Didnt believe it till i seen it myself

zfuller123

StarLite Diesel
Sep 2, 2006
Utah
www.starlitediesel.com
What do you mean by this? That the fuel rail itself is leaking at the plug (or could be)? And if it is/does - that would explain why the pressure drops - correct? Since i didn't put the valve in myself - i'm not sure if the return line hooks up to the end of the rail still or not. How would i go about trying to figure this out?

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Do a bottle test Zach. I have seen more than a couple of race valves leaking past dropping rail pressure. Basically a burr causing a slight leak and then under high psi, starts cutting.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Do a bottle test Zach. I have seen more than a couple of race valves leaking past dropping rail pressure. Basically a burr causing a slight leak and then under high psi, starts cutting.

Exactly and after time it just got worse and worse

Ive never had a issue with mine shimmed (3 washers ) Best of luck Zach

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1995&highlight=bottle+test

Also if you dont want to do a bottle test you can vice grip the fuel line downstream of the valve.....But thats not very safe

Last edited:

zfuller123

StarLite Diesel
Sep 2, 2006
Utah
www.starlitediesel.com
Let me know what you think about this and how likely it is for a leak...

I had the regular FPRV shimmed in there until a week or so ago. It had been working fine until recently (never dropped rail until about 2 weeks ago). I figured, after exploring lots of other possibilities, that it must just be a weak spring. In my stock motor, i had problems with the valve popping open once in a while at 23000 psi - but that was before it was shimmed. I've had it shimmed since the motor went back together and not had the problem til recently.

So - i had Gillette throw in the race valve. The first one they tried was apparently bad - it wouldn't start in the rail. So they got another one and it popped right in. However, i still have the same issue. Does that sound like i've got something leaking there - and likely have had? I will read up on the bottle test. I definitely need this figured out - it kills any sort of consistency at the track....

Thanks!!

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
at this point Zach i would not assume anything is good, report back on the bottle test . it has to be leaking what else is there ?

Last edited:

zfuller123

StarLite Diesel
Sep 2, 2006
Utah
www.starlitediesel.com
Exactly and after time it just got worse and worse

Ive never had a issue with mine shimmed (3 washers ) Best of luck Zach

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1995&highlight=bottle+test

Also if you dont want to do a bottle test you can vice grip the fuel line downstream of the valve.....But thats not very safe

Thank you simon. Just read it. Seems easy enough for sure. Knowing me it'll only be a 9 hour project to get it done. Also found out just barely that i got a pinched trans cooler line. Probably going to be a long weekend... missing a bracket after the motor went in to hold the lines up above the steering stuff up on the front of the motor.... and now ones kinked. No wonder she gets warm pulling the trailer now.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
My guess, after seeing this same problem with many trucks, is a leaking race valve. Problem now, is the fix is usually a new rail and shimmed FPRV.

Before anything, make sure that race valve is TIGHT.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I had let a buddy shim my fprv and he nicked the edge and install it in the rain worked for a few miles then started loosing rail pressure, tried race valve fix it for a 1,000 miles, but the rail its self was already hurt and the race valve was junk then also, replaced the rail and a new race valve and tqed tight and never a issue since.

zfuller123

StarLite Diesel
Sep 2, 2006
Utah
www.starlitediesel.com
POSSIBLE SUCCESS!?

Went to pick up the truck tonight from the guy that built the trans. had him servicing it and checking some things out for me (hence the newly found kinked cooler line) - and jumped in to start it and no lift pump.

Its happened to me twice now, but always seems to come on after starting it up and then shutting it off. No luck this time :mad:.

Got to investigating, and believe i had a bad connector going to the hot side of the relay which powers the pump. Wiggled it with the key on and sure as shit started hearing the pump, but sounded weak. wiggled it some more and sounded better.

Needless to say - came home and ran all new wire. Comes on and is now holding 16 psi at idle and sounds a bit louder than it used to (working harder?). Not sure why this wouldn't have shown up on the gauge if this has been a constant problem - but just went and did some tests after i got the trans lines tied up for the time being. Only launched a couple times but no hint of the problem!!

Not into having much faith these days and still plan to do the bottle test this weekend - i want to be 100% on this. Friday at the track will give me an indication as well, just not under the circumstances i want to be finding out in. Hopefully it was REALLY that stupid. Still wondering why the gauge wouldn't have showed the problem though if the pump was cutting in and out every once in a while:mad: