I wish GM would release a 1/2 ton diesel!!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Um how about because your F*&#ing wrong and your huge head won't let you realize it?? Your arrogance is highly over-bearing and annoying. That's what our problem is with you.

Im not wrong. You said there is no engine out there that doesnt have a specified timing chain service interval. Audi V8's dont. So STFU.

Do you think maybe there is a reason the Dmax runs a gear on their cam and not a chain like a BBC? Or no probably they just do it just because.

And 6.2's/6.5's, and a bunch of other OTR heavy duty engines run chain-driven cams. So whats your point?

Go take an engine mechanics trade school course and maybe you might pick up a thing or two

Oh wow a TRADE SCHOOL COURSE!!! Yeah, I should go take one. I bet the knuckledragger teaching the class might even tell me what a piston does.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Um how about because your F*&#ing wrong and your huge head won't let you realize it?? Your arrogance is highly over-bearing and annoying. That's what our problem is with you.

Also I could give a shit about your Audi. We are talking about a high boost by gas standards diesel engine. Do you think maybe there is a reason the Dmax runs a gear on their cam and not a chain like a BBC? Or no probably they just do it just because. :rolleyes:
Go take an engine mechanics trade school course and maybe you might pick up a thing or two.

Stick to soldering wires and making boards. It's what you do best!

Take some engineering classes, the sudden acceleration and deceleration of the engine puts the most stress on a chain. Boost pressures can actually assist in the opening of the valves. Hence the reason you install heavier springs in high boost applications - It levels itself out in a sense.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Take some engineering classes, the sudden acceleration and deceleration of the engine puts the most stress on a chain. Boost pressures can actually assist in the opening of the valves. Hence the reason you install heavier springs in high boost applications - It levels itself out in a sense.

I think you need to take the engineering course. Your correct on boost helping open the valves somewhat, but your basing this on an engine running at medium to high boost all the time which of course it doesn't. So for the remainder of the time it's pushing a higher load-un-assisted. It far from levels it out. Especially when you add idle time and cruising at low boost at which time the valve train does all or most of the work.

Yes fast accell./decel. does add stress, but the load is for the most part constant so it's not as violent as one thinks - like for example it would be nowhere near the loading and unloading of a belt driven supercharger or CP3.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Im not wrong. You said there is no engine out there that doesnt have a specified timing chain service interval. Audi V8's dont. So STFU.

Well after a quick google quest they probably should.
http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...iming-chain-streched-50k-miles-2814298/page3/
Also I found a service tech saying he recommends replacing the timing chain after a water pump failure as he has had several cases where shortly after the chain failed or was stretched enough for the guides to fail. But whatever.... I forgot you know everything.

And 6.2's/6.5's, and a bunch of other OTR heavy duty engines run chain-driven cams. So whats your point?
All low boost among other major differences is my point.

Oh wow a TRADE SCHOOL COURSE!!! Yeah, I should go take one. I bet the knuckledragger teaching the class might even tell me what a piston does.
He probably would. And maybe you would learn something. That is if you can get that window put in in time.

Gawd!!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

I said specified timing interval, as per audi. Dick. Not some prognosis that some technician pulled out of his ass. That doesnt mean random shit cant break sometimes...but the fact is that the engine was designed with a lifetime timing system that does not need scheduled service.

Duramax cam gear pins shear sometimes. So by your logic, we should regularly pull our front covers and check the pins.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I said specified timing interval, as per audi. Dick. Not some prognosis that some technician pulled out of his ass. That doesnt mean random shit cant break sometimes...but the fact is that the engine was designed with a lifetime timing system that does not need scheduled service.

Duramax cam gear pins shear sometimes. So by your logic, we should regularly pull our front covers and check the pins.

:banging:
:banghead:
I give up.
All hail the mighty knowitall Ben.
:bow:

Back on topic-whatever the F that was......

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I wish GM would build a Duramax powered Suburban
I've been saying this for years. I know my folks would buy one (we had the 6.2L diesel powered ones back in the day), and I would strongly consider one myself. But I suspect they have run the numbers, and the market is just not there.

Then again, if they ever come out with a 1/2 ton diesel, it should be a no-brainer to put it in the Suburban. IIRC they are in the same EPA classification, so it should be easy enough for them to do.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I could care less about the titan. I'm glad smaller diesels are gaining momentum but I am not a Nissan fan. I personally don't see a point in G.M. coming out with a half ton diesel. 3/4 ton trucks are getting more and more refined and the new Colorado will be a good stand in as a light 1/2 ton. Nissan doesn't have a 3/4 ton truck so I think a mid-sized diesel was a good move. It'll get better mileage and have more power than their gassers.
My hope is that the titan succeeds and Toyota is watching. I'd love for them to come back with something bigger and better for the Tundra.
When the Tundra gets a diesel, hopefully a 4.5-5.5 liter version, I will go into debt. I love the way a tundra rides and drives. I am a die-hard yota guy but my fuel is diesel, if I can't have a Toyota that way a G.M. 3/4 ton is the next best thing in my eyes.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
I thought I head Toyota was going to throw the same cummins engine in the Tundra as planned to go in the Titan?

baddaddition

Mar 10, 2013
As it seems the market has cornered the folks that should've never bought a 3/4 ton with the 1/2 and 3/8 ton trucks. For those who truly use their 3/4 ton and 1 tons. The Dmax has been proven... Minus the minor issues.. However.. All these new new set ups and upgrades will do nothing but errect issues as they are put to their test as most will do...going from a 3/4 ton to a smaller unit. So I'm subscribed to hear what the complaints will be as the new line-up comes through. I myself cannot complain about the power and ride of the Dmax 3/4 ton as its taken the cake on a smooth riding powerhouse when done right. So as many new prescripts companies come forth with a solution to many E.D. cases..... It comes with many side affects as well as a price.... Ginny pigs...As I recall the Duramax was the push for the common rail and has continued to remain the same as years progress..unlike dodge and ford... As well as many other leaps and bounds they made in the first gen. Not much has changed. IMO give GM time to watch others fail and they again will become the predominant truck in retail and reliability.