I wish GM would release a 1/2 ton diesel!!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Dodge has their 1/2 ton diesel.

Nissan recently released their new 1/2 ton diesel which surprised me by their impressive numbers that went with it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/12/2016-nissan-titan-xd-detroit-official/#image-40

So what is the hold up with GM? Worried about 3/4 ton sales? From the numbers boasted by the new eco-boost and now the Titan on towing capacity and payload they maybe should be. There are a lot of people I know that the capacities of these two vehicles definitely meet or exceed what they require and depending on the pricing the Nissan comes out with it may hurt 3/4 ton sales across the board. City folks and weekend warriors around my parts are likely going to jump all over this if the price is right. The numbers exceed most 1/2 tons and fall just short of the 3/4 ton.

They never should have scrapped the 4.5 Dmax in the 1/2 ton IMO. FWIW I think the colorado/canyon diesel is a waste of money for them to invest in but that's just me.

For risk of being burned at the stake here, although I plan to keep my LBZ for many more years, my next new diesel may just be Japanese!!:villagers:

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
Dodge has their 1/2 ton diesel.

Nissan recently released their new 1/2 ton diesel which surprised me by their impressive numbers that went with it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/12/2016-nissan-titan-xd-detroit-official/#image-40

So what is the hold up with GM? Worried about 3/4 ton sales? From the numbers boasted by the new eco-boost and now the Titan on towing capacity and payload they maybe should be. There are a lot of people I know that the capacities of these two vehicles definitely meet or exceed what they require and depending on the pricing the Nissan comes out with it may hurt 3/4 ton sales across the board. City folks and weekend warriors around my parts are likely going to jump all over this if the price is right. The numbers exceed most 1/2 tons and fall just short of the 3/4 ton.

They never should have scrapped the 4.5 Dmax in the 1/2 ton IMO. FWIW I think the colorado/canyon diesel is a waste of money for them to invest in but that's just me.

For risk of being burned at the stake here, although I plan to keep my LBZ for many more years, my next new diesel may just be Japanese!!:villagers:

agreed

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Considering the cost of diesel up here (not sure about the lower 48) being there is a 30 cent gap between gas and diesel per liter I can't see the 1/2 tons (currently getting double or more the fuel economy of the 3/4 ton+) doing anything but causing the 1/2 ton diesel sales to increase for those that require the HP and Tq of a diesel for towing.
When guys are getting 30+ mpg real world mileage out of their 1/2 tons which can tow ~12 000lbs and haul ~2000 lbs it seems to be a no brainer to me where the market is.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Look at how long it took them to come to the table with a Turbo, DI Diesel. They hit it out of the park when they finally did, so I hope the same will be said for a future 1/2 ton diesel.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Look at how long it took them to come to the table with a Turbo, DI Diesel. They hit it out of the park when they finally did, so I hope the same will be said for a future 1/2 ton diesel.

Agreed!!! They were about 10 yrs behind dodge and what 5-6 yrs behind ford. But man they did bust it out of the park with the DMAX.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I think the Nissan XD with the Cummins is going to be a great seller! Agreed, GM is going to mis the boat!:thumb:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I love the looks of the Titan and that they went with a bigger engine compared to the 3.0L ecodiesel in the RAM 1500. However, someone said they are expecting 20% better MPG out of the Cummins compared to the gas trucks BUT that still only puts them at like 16city/22hwy for MPG and that ain't gonna cut it. The HD trucks are getting that and the only other diesel 1/2 ton is approahing 30mpg hwy. THAT's what I'm wanting!

I bet this v8 cummins will be a bad mofo when tuned though! High revving DOHC, good fuel system and two-stage turbos!

I am loving these options coming out for the diesel powered 1/2 tons though! Too bad they're priced waaaay to close to 3/4 and 1 ton trucks at $50K. Just can't see blowing that kind of money on something guaranteed to lose value/money unless it's a work vehicle.

Maybe I can afford a 2016 model in 2020 but I doubt it. :(

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I love the looks of the Titan and that they went with a bigger engine compared to the 3.0L ecodiesel in the RAM 1500. However, someone said they are expecting 20% better MPG out of the Cummins compared to the gas trucks BUT that still only puts them at like 16city/22hwy for MPG and that ain't gonna cut it. The HD trucks are getting that and the only other diesel 1/2 ton is approahing 30mpg hwy. THAT's what I'm wanting!

I bet this v8 cummins will be a bad mofo when tuned though! High revving DOHC, good fuel system and two-stage turbos!

I am loving these options coming out for the diesel powered 1/2 tons though! Too bad they're priced waaaay to close to 3/4 and 1 ton trucks at $50K. Just can't see blowing that kind of money on something guaranteed to lose value/money unless it's a work vehicle.

Maybe I can afford a 2016 model in 2020 but I doubt it. :(

Dodge tested this motor before they went with the 3 liter. They didn't go with it because they were looking for 30+ mpg-closer to 40 if possible. I read the 5 liter was getting upwards of 25 consistently and close to if not 30 so that combined with the 310HP and 555Tq it's a killer combo. Towing MPG will also be much better than any gasser out there (which btw is what their 20% claim figures are based on). By quite a bit I reckon based on how shitty the mileage was in my 6 liter gasser I used to drive (6-7mpg towing 7000lbs at 60mph).
Unknowns right now are if it will have DEF (likely), price, actual economy, and how well the new Aisin 6 speed and their new diffs hold up.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I seem to remember someone cough cough Ben :D saying half ton diesels were a waste of time for gm as there wouldn't be a demand.... looks like dodge did pretty damn well I see these ecm diesels everywhere out in the west

He might be smart with electronics but IMO that's where it stops.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
LOL Yeah, but I meant the whole truck. I also own an '09 Titan.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that GM needs a half ton diesel truck. I have worked on and driven many half ton Chevy's and GMC's with the old 6.5 turbo setup, including 2 door Tahoe & Yukons. I loved them then, and I believe they would sell like hotcakes. :)

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
I haven't seen an ecodiesel yet. Guess people around here like there hemi to much. The titan with a cummins will probably cost almost as much as 3/4 or 1 ton ford/chev anyways. It's close to a 40 cent gap per liter here now between gas and diesel. I almost envy my wife's 14 sierra and it's mileage. Then I remember why I bought my truck, and all my ****s go out the window :woott:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I seem to remember someone cough cough Ben :D saying half ton diesels were a waste of time for gm as there wouldn't be a demand.... looks like dodge did pretty damn well I see these eco diesels everywhere out in the west

I said a half ton V8 diesel is dumb, because it will barely get better fuel economy than a 3/4 ton diesel. Yet it will only be able to tow half as much.