LMM: i need some tuner advice please..newbie

Fox78

Oct 7, 2013
Zanoni, MO
Hi. I am new to this site and I have been looking at alot of different posts about tuners. I am fairly new to this LLM motor and this type of truck. I had an 06 LBZ with a BD PP and it worked good. The 06 had a 4" cat back and a k&n intake.

I have a 08 stock right now with 180k and want to have some fun. I pull a TT when I get a chance to go camping but mostly I just want the power back and not have to do alot uof upgrades.

I have seen alot of talk about not using the bully dog anymore and to use EFlIVE but I have no idea what that is. Is t something I have to do or is it something I have to take it to someone?

I am looking for some sound advise. Thank you in advance for your time.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
The most user friendly thing out is a autocal. It's kinda of like using a Ppe programmer or any other handheld programmer except it has custom tunes on it.

Fox78

Oct 7, 2013
Zanoni, MO
So I don't have a LLM I have a LMM... it was a typo.

Quinton... thnx for the input. Please forgive me but what is a ppe? I know I can keep on looking through the forums but was kinda hoping I could find the answers here.

What is autocal? What wold I have to do with the whole regen thing that my truck has on it?

Than for the help

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
PPE stands for Pacific Performance Engineering, they make parts for our trucks. And an Autocal is a scan tool used with efilive which are the most reliable tunes.. And they give mad power gains too

Fox78

Oct 7, 2013
Zanoni, MO
Thank you superswamper. I was just going the the forums some more and was looking at Creatures Of The Night Performances website and that was sheding some light on things.lol

There is a whole world out there that I need to learn. I was looking at the eflive 2 but I guess I will have to get the exhaustand I tack also. What about trans mods?

TLKDRTYLLY

1833 AAV Crew Chief
Jun 9, 2013
Hampden, Maine
How much power do you want to be playing with? Trans safe power, or are you willing to spend some cash and build your 6 speed with a nice Suncoast kit?

As far as EFI Live goes, your more than likely going to have to delete the DPF and Catalytic Converter. If you run tunes on it, you will eventually clog the DPF so badly the truck will go into reduced engine power mode and barely move. It does this because your computer doesn't know it has a DPF, so it will not Regen like it would when soot built up. Exhausts are relatively cheap and not hard to install.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
The trans depends on how far you want to take it, if you want to go past a 150hp tune then you will have to build your trans, but I would get trans safe tunes before anything else. Most enjoy just that which is plenty of power.

TLKDRTYLLY

1833 AAV Crew Chief
Jun 9, 2013
Hampden, Maine
Yeah. Maximum. I have a stock trans on my '05 LLY. My big tune is 200hp, my next tune is 150,100, tow, high idle. My trans is fine until it shifts into 5th, then throws itself into limp. In my 150 tune, my 5 speed handles it through the gears no problem. I have 204,000 on it, towed trailers all it's life. But with that said, I do not expect it to last very much longer because of my big tune. But it is, very fun.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Thank you superswamper. I was just going the the forums some more and was looking at Creatures Of The Night Performances website and that was sheding some light on things.lol

There is a whole world out there that I need to learn. I was looking at the eflive 2 but I guess I will have to get the exhaustand I tack also. What about trans mods?

If I can help you in any way just let me know.

Fox78

Oct 7, 2013
Zanoni, MO
Thank you gentlemen for all your input.

Ripmf666 I will be getting ahold of you by tomorrow sometime just to talk at least.

You guys have bin a really big help.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Thank you gentlemen for all your input.

Ripmf666 I will be getting ahold of you by tomorrow sometime just to talk at least.

You guys have bin a really big help.

Fox you have come to the right place for help with anything/everything Duramax pickups! The search option will greatly help you find info for your specific questions. Important for you to understand tuning options. "Programmers" usually refer to a handheld device that will input custom calibrations. They are generic in nature and are produced to cover the needs of the average enthusiast (give mild power and MPG gains). Most of them do not pose immediate risk to the well being of your stock transmission. The PPE unit is the most respected option (Below EFI live) for increased power/torque etc. It is capable of quite a bit more power addition than Banks, Hypertech, Bully Dog etc.
These programmers are all fine for MILD power increases with the PPE being the exception... It can be turned up fairly high power wise well beyond the limits of your unmodified transmission.
The more serious enthusiasts (most members here) want as much power as possible and are constantly modifying their vehicles. Be it bigger injectors, strong transmissions, bigger turbos etc. As these modifications get more serious so does the need for custom tailored tuning for the engines computer. This is where EFI live custom tuning comes into play to maximize potential of those modifications.

EFI tunes can be flashed into your vehicle with a V2 module or an Autocal device and will require some software installed on your laptop. It is better tuning hands down but also a bit more high maintenance as far as your involvement in the process.

My suggestion is to seriously consider your horsepower goals and plans for the truck. If you want a quicker truck, better MPG, and a bit more power to pull a trailer, I would keep things simple with a PPE programmer. If you want a ton of power and forsee a project truck constantly being modified into a HP monster with a strong transmission, bigger turbo etc I'd hands down go with EFI live.

Hope this has helped shed some light on the differences.

Last edited:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Yeah. Maximum. I have a stock trans on my '05 LLY. My big tune is 200hp, my next tune is 150,100, tow, high idle. My trans is fine until it shifts into 5th, then throws itself into limp. In my 150 tune, my 5 speed handles it through the gears no problem. I have 204,000 on it, towed trailers all it's life. But with that said, I do not expect it to last very much longer because of my big tune. But it is, very fun.

Have you dynoed this 150 tune? cause doubt a 150 rear wheel tune will hold in a 5 speed. whose tunes?

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
Talk to Henry, buy exhaust, egr blocker plate, and an autocal with tonys tunes on it and be happy until you want to spend 4000+ on your Trans. Then do that, get new tunes for free and be happy again. Repeat until your truck is worth more than your house.

TLKDRTYLLY

1833 AAV Crew Chief
Jun 9, 2013
Hampden, Maine
I'm running Diesel Addictions Hot Street 200 over stock. Awhile back I got my truck dynoed at Carolina Dyno with my biggest tune being 100 for the same reason you said. I didn't think it would hold more. I dynoed in at 348rwhp. Which is about right. I had my tunes upgraded to 200, and that is about 440-450rwhp. My trans handles it no problem. I just run it with overdrive off and in tow/haul and my truck screams for being nearly stock.

TLKDRTYLLY

1833 AAV Crew Chief
Jun 9, 2013
Hampden, Maine
Well then, if the 5 speed alli can handle 150 over stock, im getting myself a bigger tune!

Be careful driving in 5th gear with it for a little while. Let the transmission learn the new values, or it will bug out and limp. As far as 1-2-3-4 it will be fine if your trans doesn't have any current issues. Now, I'm not saying it's trans safe... I don't recommend over 100. But yes i do run a 200tune.

brandon06dmax

the reckoning
Apr 29, 2013
jactionville nc
I can vouch for tlkdrty he does run a 200 tune and beats it pretty good I seems to be holding up well bolth r trucks r tuned by DA and his tunes are very stout