I need a new clutch

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Ive run them both, Run the unsprung for a while and pull it back out, let me know what you find! Unsprungs have their place but it has a cost as well!

Maybe Vailair will be the wave of the future, Unless one shows up on my doorstep for free, ill keep dealing with Peter. BTW im not so much a fan of SBC as i am the service ive gotten from Peter @ SBC, IF he went to work for vailair then id probally buy one, untill then there is gonna be a SBC in the first 11sec stick truck....hopefully!

Last edited:

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
I wanted a unsprung because Dan told me it would be stouter in the long run.

I run Valair cause of their great service. When my single that Dan built for me started slipping from the increased power I called Dan. He cut me a hell of deal on my dual disc. As long as your honest with him he will do you right.

Gmclbz

Jul 8, 2008
www.upstatedieselperformance.com
cheer.gif

:D

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
The solid hub is stronger and I run one in my 01 that I sledpull. I have a sprung hub in my 03 and it's way more forgiving. I smoked one SBC at 90K miles and SBC hooked me up with a good deal on rebuilding it and told me when I was ready for a Triple disc he's hook me up with one of them.

I wanted a unsprung because Dan told me it would be stouter in the long run.

I run Valair cause of their great service. When my single that Dan built for me started slipping from the increased power I called Dan. He cut me a hell of deal on my dual disc. As long as your honest with him he will do you right.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Like I said, South Bend Cheerleaders...and just to clarify I have no problem with SBC. They make a nice product.

Go on DP and search my username in the ZF aftermarket thread!
I was one SBCs harshed critics. There early Dmax stuff was Crap IMHO. But Peter worked hard to make it better. So quit being a tool.;)

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Wow, you stick truck guys are worse than us Allison guys when it comes to trans parts...

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
Go on compD and read all the horror stories about people doing just stupid stupid stupid stuff with the SBC clutches, mostly about idiots with 400 rwhp and 3.55's trying to grab 4th gear and riding the clutches on the pulling track for 150 feet, Peter at SBC stands behind his clutches even when there just absolutely abused and beaten and clearly in cases where any other company would tell you to go pound sand. 95% of the SBC DD clutch failures you'll read out there are operator failure, and like I said amazingly Peter stands behind them yet.

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
Unsprung are harder to drive but are stronger when it comes to sledpulling. The sprung hub is a lot more forgiving in terms of drivability. I have both and prefer to drive the sprung hub but know the solid hub will hold more abuse.

So whats the difference between sprung and unsprung hubs? Am i missing something?

durafrickenmax

You drive a what?!
Jul 30, 2009
Bridgeport,WV
I have a SBC single disc ferramic that is starting to slip. I abuse the clutch regularly. After talking to Peter I am going to upgrade to dual disc as soon as my funds allow for it. The single discs do not like 3rd gear launches and trying to break tires loose shifting to 4th.

durafrickenmax

You drive a what?!
Jul 30, 2009
Bridgeport,WV
I have had the clutch almost 2 years and have around 30000 miles on it. It was working good until I tried a 3rd gear launch in 4wd. I was on a sand drag strip and it just slipped and didnt grab at all. Ever since it has not been holding as well. A few times when the boost really kicks in it has slipped. Also when speed shifting it slips sometimes and it never did that before.

brown bear

como estan beeches!!
Mar 31, 2009
Durango CO
Dang i just got back from a road trip and i notice that my clutch slipped for the first time. i dont think i've put more then 3000 milles thats freaking sucks i got so pissed off
how could have that happend ? i was looking to get a new turbo but i think i have to get another chutch firts :mad:

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
That sucks man. Not trying to be an a-hole but you should have read and gone on ahead and put in a dual disc. Or get Mike to turn the power down. And I've been there before, and the old saying goes you live and learn.

brown bear

como estan beeches!!
Mar 31, 2009
Durango CO
i know i was like f... this and that you know... but i thought it could last me alittle longer so ill be lookin to get a dual or even a triple disc

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
X2. No offence because I too have been there :(. I slipped my dual disc the other day sledpulling so I'll be getting a triple if it goes out. It probably just slipped cause it was under sever strain {unsural pulling setup :rolleyes:} and I've got to be over 600hp now.

That sucks man. Not trying to be an a-hole but you should have read and gone on ahead and put in a dual disc. Or get Mike to turn the power down. And I've been there before, and the old saying goes you live and learn.