I have seen the impossible!

nathan2034

Feb 7, 2011
any reason I cant put lly heads ficm/ecm/harness/ turbo and all top end on my lb7? should work as far as im concerned

9mmkungfu

Aug 29, 2011
Northern Virginia
im in the process of the lly engine swap from 01 lb7 to a 05 lly rite now. i found the injector wire colors are not the same. just swaping spot for spot on the c1 and c2 clips. see how it works out . Any advice from people that have done the swap would be helpfull....also what other road blocks have you guys run into.
Will

Hey Will, any updates?

KdNicoll

Jul 28, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Anyone on here got a ('05/'06) LLY motor or a ('06.5/'07.5) LBZ with 6spd Allison for a motor swap into a '03 LB7. I had my injectors go out in '06 and they were replaced under warranty and now again @ 82k. I'm tired of doing this injector R&R and thinking about doing the swap. Read the whole thread and pretty interested now. Waiting on a call back from RPM Motorsports but looking for possible motors to DIY. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Trust me you will be glad when you change that LB7 out. :thumb:
Russ had a hard time locating a motor for me, but came through. Good luck with the change over.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Going to be doing this swap very soon. engine is here truck is here. just waiting on a part for the other rig i have on the lift and then its on. any tuning tips would be helpful. but from what i understand the LLY injectors flow less fuel and so timing needs bumped, fuel PW needs raised, and Pilot will need raised? anything else. oh I don't know if the LB7 truck has EGR or not yet but i have deleted one that had it and since it is completely different and this vehicle is from and licenced in California i'm guessing i will have to swap the LB7 Egr over to the LLY to be legal down there? and is there any chance it won't have EGR since its a cali rig? Thanks.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
Let me know how ya make out,i have an 02 lb7 and a complete 04 lly parts truck,i am thinking about this swap and have been reading this thread for quite some time,are there any other benefits to this swap other than easyer inj swap?power increase?tuning capability?Id like to do it anyways just would like to know before I start wrenching on lb7,lly is out and ready!

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
There is no reason to do the swap other than ease of changing injectors and knowing full well you'll never push a cup. Now with the availability of screw in cups, and once you delete all the uselessness on top of the valve covers, it is honestly just as well to stick with lb7 heads/ injectors. I would not ever use the lb7 ecm/ficm again if I did it again....and I may still swap it over to Lly ecm/ficm one day simply because I can.

slowski03

Jul 10, 2009
I am Interested in doing this swap. Has there been any updates or changes in doing this swaps? And does anyone have a parts list? And my truck's build date is 9/02. Thanks for your help

slowski03

Jul 10, 2009
Ok I have an 03 lb7 and want to perform the lly head/injector conversation. From what I have read it sounds like I just need the lly harness, injectors, high pressure lines, low pressure lines, the heads, valve covers?

slowski03

Jul 10, 2009
I am goin to ask rob at atp cause I have my autocal through him. An I think it may be cheaper than buying the ficm and ecm. But I am trying to see if I can get a lly locally

Last edited:

GMcKenzie

May 21, 2014
New member. Joined for this topic.

I have a 2001 and have replaced my injectors once. Truck has under 150,000 kms, so under 96K miles on it. Someone is selling an 05 LLY locally for less than the price of a set of injectors and I'm wondering what all comes across in a head swap, and what other parts are interchangeable (turbo, CP3, etc.). I have some black smoke right now under acceleration and when towing, so I'm not sure if I buggered something when I did the injectors (did them myself), or have a turbo issue or what.

Anyway, if I do the conversion is it easier to swap motors entirely or just the heads? I have an 01 so I know it isn't plug-n-play and I need to find someone in BC (Canada) who can do the EFI live stuff.

Love my truck and plan to keep it but hate the idea of doing the injectors again.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.

I have a 2001 and have replaced my injectors once. Truck has under 150,000 kms, so under 96K miles on it. Someone is selling an 05 LLY locally for less than the price of a set of injectors and I'm wondering what all comes across in a head swap, and what other parts are interchangeable (turbo, CP3, etc.). I have some black smoke right now under acceleration and when towing, so I'm not sure if I buggered something when I did the injectors (did them myself), or have a turbo issue or what.

Anyway, if I do the conversion is it easier to swap motors entirely or just the heads? I have an 01 so I know it isn't plug-n-play and I need to find someone in BC (Canada) who can do the EFI live stuff.

Love my truck and plan to keep it but hate the idea of doing the injectors again.

Black smoke most likely is not from bad injectors in your case. if you are towing heavy, an 01 will haze a little anyhow, but it can be indicative of poor airflow.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.

Pull off your driver side boost tube and see if there is a hole rubbed through by the power steering pump..

GMcKenzie

May 21, 2014
I've pulled everything off the drivers side. No holes on the metal tube and I've tightened everything back down again. New filter, cleaned the MAF. Everything is kinda pointing to something with the turbo. I need to go through the passenger side stuff still. It smokes if I push it not towing and smokes a bit more towing. Trailer is about 8200 lbs.

Still interested in what can be used from an 05 on an 01. Trying to decide if the motor is worth buying and swapping head over the winter (I get a beater for the winter months).