hummer h1 lmm duramax conversion ECT issues

hummerh1

Sep 2, 2013
ok so I have a 1993 hummer h1 with a duramax six speed conversion. it has a giant intercooler and rad. mishimoto low temp thermos and hayden heavy duty fan clutch. it will reach 225 up a hill not towing. it stays around 177-195 on flat. what can I do to prevent hills to raise up my ECT? I bought a snow performance stage three water injection and a small oil cooler. have not installed them yet. what can I do I need help! will these things help me or no? and and all suggestions are welcomed! I need this thing to run cool, 225 not towing up a hill is unacceptable and I want to tow with this thing. not heavy but tow a small boat or trailer.
here is a link to the oil cooler

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360508149094?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
If you haven't already, delete the egr and dpf. Also try replacing your themostats.

hummerh1

Sep 2, 2013
I have read on other places that egr will actually make a truck run hotter because more fuel is added to make up for more fresh air?

hummerh1

Sep 2, 2013
its an lmm. my next mods are an oil cooler and pure water injection. hoping these two things will help keep things cool when under load. more comments and opinions would help. :thumb:

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Definitely delete egr. Helps on cooling down also and spool up. What are you reading the coolant temp with? V2 or just factory gauge? Factory gauges are not all that accurate. If you have a different source for temps, and its still hot, have you cleaned the front radiator and cooling stack from bugs and debris? Id also check the thermostats.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Is your radiator clean and clear and mounted in a good location? Thermostats in good shape? How many miles on the water pump?

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
This may sound stupid, but is the fan spinning the correct direction and is the clutch engaging properly? Swapping to electric fans might help. Is any air trapped in the coolant system? Also the radiator could be to small, I know you say it's Giant but if its not thick enough, or is a bad design it might not flow enough. Also make sure it has a good shroud around it, cooling systems don't work well if the air can't be funneled through it, and just goes around it.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Need to know details like what radiator you are using, what intercooler? Being a swap it can be a nightmare trying to get everything to work right. Also make sure your intake is sealed up and only bringing in outside air preferably from in front of the vehicle. Also make sure beings it is a hummer that the engine heat can be exhausted as I believe the engine compartment is actually sealed up pretty tight in those. Air must be able to get into the radiator as well as out of the engine compartment.

hummerh1

Sep 2, 2013
the radiator I believe is 3" thick or 3 and 1/2. air can escape through the bottom just as a normal 2500hd. what do you think about a small oil cooler and stage 3 water injection. shouldn't this bring ECT's way down? or am I mistaking here and should formulate another plan of approach?

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Post a picture of you engine bay.......you should be running in the 190's, so something is wrong with you set up. Yes oil cooler may drop you engine coolant temp, but not that much and the water injection will drop your exhaust temp, but I don't see it dropping coolant temp. Your best bet would be getting more air through you core stack maybe by putting in some electric fans or air fins.

hummerh1

Sep 2, 2013
the factory oil cooler is still on there. if I put on electric fans wont that actually block the air from being drawn from the stock fan? should I run both? look in the original thread to see the oil cooler that I bought and tell me what you guys think.

hummerh1

Sep 2, 2013
the stack consists of three and only three things on top is the tranny cooler then the inter cooler and then the radiator.

hummerh1

Sep 2, 2013
here is a couple of engine bay shots

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 71
  • t_image_347.jpg
    t_image_347.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 71