Info: How to Build a 10 Second Dmax:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Some folk feel a need to spank anything with a license plate attached with their Dmaxes. A 10.999 will pretty much do just that 99% of of the time. So here's some thoughts on how to do just that.

First let's talk about the engine:

You will need a power to weight ratio of about 8.5lb/rwhp or better.
That is:

Code:
Weight	RWHP
7000	824
6750	794
6500	765
6250	735
6000	706
5750	676
5500	647
5250	618
5000	588
4750	559
4500	529
4250	500
4000	471

So how much motor you need is dictated by your weight. At about 650rwhp+ you will probably bend the rods, so if your raceweight is over 5500lb, it means you will need a race motor. I'm going to assume a raceweight of over 6000lb for the rest of this thread.

The minimum requirement I'd suggest is Crower rods and "delipped" pistons. While you are there, you need to key the cam and crankshaft. Adding headstuds, coated pistons, high speed valvetrain, ported heads, stroker kit, etc, can all add lifespan to the engine and help you go to the next step, but is not absolutely necessary based on experience.

To extract the HP, you will need to up both the air and the fuel. A single GT4202R or other 3.0 inducer charger would be the minimum to do it without drugs, or with the right amount of nitrous, you could do it on the stock charger, although it won't survive long. For "fuel only", the minimum fuel adder would be dual CP3's. Pretty much twin-compounded chargers would be a shoe-in. Lift pump manditory no matter what. You will get fuel starvation from the g-force.

EFILive would be the #1 choice for tuning a 10 second or faster truck, as you can change the tuning to suit track conditions and part changes, and get data from your runs.

Next you will need a transmission. Best solution is still the Allison, and when built right, can survive quite awhile in the 10's. Running a Dodge trans has not proven necessary in the 10 second range, nor is the Dodge trans without problems. Your converter will be determined by how you get your power. But a looser converter tends to be easier to work with. Mike L has tested about 8 different converters on our trucks, he would be the best source for converter selection. You should not need a CoPilot for most trucks, depending on the tuning, but it can give you more options. The trans build itself? You will need to spend your money. Do not skimp. Do not fall for "guaranteed to 1000HP" sales campaigns. Go with the best, which in my experience is Mike L. Use a transfer case brace if 4x4.

Gearing. You can't get any decent race tires bigger than 30", and most are 28". This will cause MPH limit problems as you go faster than 120. A 10 will take about 124mph or faster. I'd suggest 3.42's from Yukon. We are not sure yet whether a 6-sp Allison could be used, so far the testing has been negative.

Tires. The 28" dia M&H 275/60-16's on PYO's are my favorite. They are light, affordable, and can cut 1.5's on a moderately prepped track. 30PSI should be the right balance between traction and rolling resistance.

Front axle for 4x4's. You will need a Super Diesel (or copy) straight centerlink and sleeves. Period. Cognitos ain't going to hang nor will the factory centerlink. Drop your Tbars down to the lowest level.

Rear suspension. Soften it up, and increase the shock dampening. Traction bars should be used. Wheelhop will break your truck, and you can't run the number with a busted-ass truck. I pulled all but the long leaf and overload leaf, then added CalTracs and stiffer shocks.

Safety equipment. You will need a SNELL Helmet, SFI Firejacket, 5-pt SFI harness, and a rollbar to 10.00. The rollbar specs are in the $10 NHRA rulebook. Go with the ChromeMoly (4130) version to save weight.

I'll add stuff as I remember.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
How many street trucks with twins in the 10s have there been ? good write up pat i asume a cam is also in tht list of parts ?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
How many street trucks with twins in the 10s have there been ? good write up pat i asume a cam is also in tht list of parts ?

I'm sure a cam helps but Casper on his 10 second passes ran a stock keyed cam

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
According to the new rules, if you put a cage in a truck that meets spec this & that you don't need the rear bars. No stupid bars sticking out the back window on a RC.

jrad12381

May 12, 2008
Reno, NV

With dual cp3's and a built motor to handle the power, MPI's standar kit will make the RWHP to get in that range. Mod your stocker, and upgrade to the 80MM comp wheel charger and it should be no problem.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
With dual cp3's and a built motor to handle the power, MPI's standar kit will make the RWHP to get in that range. Mod your stocker, and upgrade to the 80MM comp wheel charger and it should be no problem.

not my question LOL :) I want to know how many with twins have made the tens or quciker. I know they can make the 800+hp

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I don't know of any that have yet.

edit: I'm losing my mind. Nasty Girl has twins and has run in the 10s.

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Didn't a twin LB7 truck just run 10.95?
But, yes, currently there are more single charger Dmaxes in the 10's and quicker.
Not sure if there is a Dodge with a single in the 10's without huge shots of nitrous though.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
great write up only problems is in writing it seems so simple real life proves to be a little harder , you know better than anyone pat . how long did it take you trial and error and $$$ just to be able to write that paragragh with proven information . ;)

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
great write up only problems is in writing it seems so simple real life proves to be a little harder , you know better than anyone pat . how long did it take you trial and error and $$$ just to be able to write that paragragh with proven information . ;)

Also, all the money in the world doesn't make you a good driver.
It takes some skill to be able to launch consistantly and keep it between the lines. Pat/Kat and a few others have a touch that probably none of else will ever have without tons of track time.

Congrats and Thanks to Pat/Kat and all those that have put the time, effort, and money into these trucks.

bighawg

Proud American Infidel
May 12, 2008
Carnesville, Georgia
Today I found myself thinking of what kind of set up you had in Casper to run those kind of numbers. Then I thought that you probably wouldn't tell us. That's some great info., it makes me want to start stock piling some parts. Man my wife is going to hate you.:rofl: