LBZ: How safe are hot stock turbo tunes?

Nemo

<<--- Sleeping :)
Aug 8, 2008
NM
www.EvolvedMS.com
try to stay under 1200*. above that for very short periods are ok. I saw just above 2000* at the end of the 1/4 with a stock charger.

Nov 18, 2009
Jacksonville,FL
Yeah,
I don't dog it all the time or anything but anytime there is a challenge, I'm not backing down. I was just kinda wondering how bad it was on the engine over time. I'll prolly get twins when I can afford them.... Prolly gonna be another year...

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I'm more worried about the pistons cracking then anything. Odd that we don't seem to hear about that on the LBZ as much any more. Maybe it was just bad QC or maybe I just ignore the threads.

Philtopgun

Nice n Easy
May 5, 2007
Edmond,OK-still a Texan
when I had banks, somdedays it would spike 1400 when racing(usually ran 1300 maxed).. Since I went efi, Ive only ran 2 tunes-Mcrats and Danno. Both max 1250-1300... My truck besides small mods n sig, its basically stock, so dont know if that makes the difference on egts. Maybe if I had more fuel it would run hotter? I hold 23-24k on fuel pressure... Dont know anything about the timing on either, except the tunes dont smoke and are working for me:D Id save the money and wait til you find someone you trust...

scratchrob13

<---30+ psi (both)
Jun 18, 2008
Boston|Suffield,CT|Lincoln,NH
when I had banks, somdedays it would spike 1400 when racing(usually ran 1300 maxed).. Since I went efi, Ive only ran 2 tunes-Mcrats and Danno. Both max 1250-1300... My truck besides small mods n sig, its basically stock, so dont know if that makes the difference on egts. Maybe if I had more fuel it would run hotter? I hold 23-24k on fuel pressure... Dont know anything about the timing on either, except the tunes dont smoke and are working for me:D Id save the money and wait til you find someone you trust...

Most likely not too hot of a tune. I see 1300*+ in a 0-60 run. I need twins.

My hot tune, I tow with a lot, and every hill I need to knock it down to 5th gear. THe LBZ is "rated" at 1375* by GM. Do what you will with those numbers though.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Running PPE tuners will see 2k and an Edge with attitude level 5 will see 1375*. Amount of time running at high temps is what is most detrimental to the engine. There are several guys that can provide good safe tuning and performance at the same time.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
IdahoRob might have one to phase the EGT to a max pt. you pick to average. He described his race tuning for EGTs in other thread but it sounded real good for keeping it in his range of max safe.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Most of it has to do with who tunes your truck and just how "hot" a tune you are willing to risk. Get greedy and you will pay.
If you tune a stock Dmax for high power, the life expectancy will go down. No ifs, ands or buts about it.