Question: How many of you guys do your own tuning?!?

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I was way over thinking things until i met Zach fuller from starlight diesel. sitting in his class i relized i was overthinking everything. now i get all of it. tuning for big injectors and pumps is not that hard. may take time to dial in but once you get it its fun. i like that i can drive a vehicle now and see the ways its reacts to my changes and make some changes to achieve the the desired outcome im shooting for.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I've just started playing around with tuning my TCM. I've got a ways to go in order to get my head wraped around the tables and how they effect things. I hope to take a class someday I'm sure a two day class would put me 6 months ahead of where I am now.

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
I've just started playing around with tuning my TCM. I've got a ways to go in order to get my head wraped around the tables and how they effect things. I hope to take a class someday I'm sure a two day class would put me 6 months ahead of where I am now.

X2^ as long as the class doesnt spend the majority on Cummins like I have heard some are...

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
That's why we hit on tuning theory overall... Milliken did his thing for a few hours on cummins, the rest we hit on dmax. Mostly just what everything means in general so you can go from tuning a dmax to cummins to Volkswagen... Whatever, just common rail!

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
That's why we hit on tuning theory overall... Milliken did his thing for a few hours on cummins, the rest we hit on dmax. Mostly just what everything means in general so you can go from tuning a dmax to cummins to Volkswagen... Whatever, just common rail!

Man I wish efi was abke to do Tdi's.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
in the past i did all my own tuning minus my first tune, and i still do on two of my trucks but my pull truck is done by Mark now since I have got a bit crazy with it. My lly has gone beyond my level of tuning.

jwrkansas

Mar 3, 2012
I do all of my own tuning plus quite a bit for others. I've never purchased a tune from anyone, I've started all on my own (lmm), i havent even seen inside a "pro" file until very recently and was happy to see how my theory/design matches up to what I've seen the pros do. I took the fleece class and was happy to see how close my file design is. Steve has helped me a few times with questions I've had as well. One of the best things I did on my truck was creating a base file with the limiters lifted and then turned it into a dsp5 so that I could test multiple "tunes" at once to see how the truck reacted to different timing, pulse, etc.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I run starlite tuning and eventually will tune my own. I'm going to read his (Zachs) books though to get a head start. I just don't know if I could trust myself and just by talking to Zach you can tell he knows his stuff.