Question: How many of you guys do your own tuning?!?

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
Just a quick question and wondering how many of you guys on here either fully tune your own trucks and or play with EFI on your own?!?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i play with it quite a bit. its kinda fun when your bored to try different things you might of thought of that could help the truck. i leave all the big tuning to Steve though. i trust him with my truck tuning than me any day

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
I do mine. Fun, but also can be scary to see what different tables can do.

I'm with you Quinton, I've gotten some really serious timing rattle, and have the turbo surge on me at wot... Vanes and I don't get along. But I've learned so much from the hands on "lets see what this does".

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
A lot more then I expected... :thumb:

I think I am gonna be in the same boat where I start to play with it but leave my big boy tunes to the pros... For now :D

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
I'm with you Quinton, I've gotten some really serious timing rattle, and have the turbo surge on me at wot... Vanes and I don't get along. But I've learned so much from the hands on "lets see what this does".

Do you use Josh's timing calculator? That's where Id start out and then smooth out what areas your like. On the vanes there could be a limiter or something messing with it. Hard to tell without a log or anything.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

Too much rail pressure can cause what a lot of people confuse for timing rattle.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
After the person I bought my V2 from failed to send me the tune he promised, Trent helped me to understand the basics. I now tune my own truck as well as to many others to count except for LLY's(nothing against them, just haven't had but a few ask). Learning LBZ/LMM after starting on LB7 was a bit of a learning curve, but once I figured out the extra axis to wrap my head around for fueling it wasn't that bad. As for lB7's I have done a lot of stock ones, and even a few modded trucks with built engines and big sticks. only played with stock tranny LBZ/LMM's so far. My BIG problem is I have SEVERE OCD when it comes to working on things, and for me to get a tune to where I'm happy with it can take MONTHS of tweaking. Tunes I absolutely hated others have run and said were awesome, just how I am as there all works in progress.