don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Before
aseza3av.jpg

After
mysyda9u.jpg

Gotta do the other side tomorrow but now I got plenty of clearance when the tires are turned and at full bump. New coils come tomorrow too.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It's done, DONE I TELL YOU!! New coils are perfect! Should work for guys that wanna keep that full 8" lift too. Ill know for sure after the springs settle. Right now I'm at the ride height my t-bars were at and still have more preload available if I so choose to go higher. Ride is so damn nice. Hit a curb at 15mph for the hell of it and it hardly phased the truck. Just a little jolt but nothing compared to what my torsion bars felt like. Next is to head out to a test area trophy trucks play in for a little roller jump and some rough roads.

Now to get the ass end to keep up.

enuzyryg.jpg

by8yqure.jpg

9y6etegu.jpg

I'm pretty damn happy with its sucker!!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Looks like I have something to do this winter.
Oh wait, I already have 50 jobs in front of this one. :(

haha bring me your truck. i can knock yours out with brians and levis :D

Video of the testing...

dirt testing will be on hold for a bit. just bought a set of deaver mini packs. once i have those in, my 1" drop shackles on and the smaller blocks in, its game time

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
I'm working on putting together a long travel kit for mine. Just priced Kings at $1200.00 a pair... now to make upper and lower control arms along with everything else to keep IFS, SMH:woott:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm working on putting together a long travel kit for mine. Just priced Kings at $1200.00 a pair... now to make upper and lower control arms along with everything else to keep IFS, SMH:woott:

thats pretty common! i take it your going 2.5 resi 10" stroke shocks? or a 8" with a 3" longer threaded shaft end? i would definitly get some bypasses or smooth body shocks on it as well. your gunna need the extra valving to get the front end to work how it should without buring up the coilover.

Bear9350

May 23, 2013
Did you beef up the top mounting bracket at all or is it not needed? That bracket is now supporting the entire weight of the front end of the truck where before the torsion bars/ torsion bar cross member was supporting it. Usually I can work through this type of thing pretty well but I think I am thinking to hard on this one.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Did you beef up the top mounting bracket at all or is it not needed? That bracket is now supporting the entire weight of the front end of the truck where before the torsion bars/ torsion bar cross member was supporting it. Usually I can work through this type of thing pretty well but I think I am thinking to hard on this one.

this gets brought up alot. currently it is untouched and doing fine. the goal is to see what it can take before i need to add bracing to it. In all honesty, i agree that it seems weak and would need bracing for myself. No one has tested its strength so im playing guinea pig. only time i see it being an issue is if you jump the truck alot, beat on it hard, or use the shock as a bumpstop.

Bear9350

May 23, 2013
The way I have been working it out in my head is that normally the torsion bars generally just hold the weight of the front end. The dynamic loading from bumps, jumping, etc.. are for the most part I believe transfered through the shock and into that mount. The dynamic loading spikes that the shocks work through are probably much greater (magnitudes greater) than those seen from holding the front end up.
Adding the weight of front end to the brackets is almost nothing compared to the loads seen from the dynamic spikes seen when driving over bumps.
It is feasable that the better tuned shock/ spring and an increased travel may actually decrease the magnitude of the spike. Atleast this is how I have it worked out in my head. I could be completely wrong.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The way I have been working it out in my head is that normally the torsion bars generally just hold the weight of the front end. The dynamic loading from bumps, jumping, etc.. are for the most part I believe transfered through the shock and into that mount. The dynamic loading spikes that the shocks work through are probably much greater (magnitudes greater) than those seen from holding the front end up.
Adding the weight of front end to the brackets is almost nothing compared to the loads seen from the dynamic spikes seen when driving over bumps.
It is feasable that the better tuned shock/ spring and an increased travel may actually decrease the magnitude of the spike. Atleast this is how I have it worked out in my head. I could be completely wrong.

the shock still doesnt hold the weight of the vehicle nor does it have the increased mulptilipcation of spring pressure as the suspension is collapsed. that was all held through the torsion bars previously. i like your thinking though.

Bear9350

May 23, 2013
the shock still doesnt hold the weight of the vehicle nor does it have the increased mulptilipcation of spring pressure as the suspension is collapsed. that was all held through the torsion bars previously. i like your thinking though.

Right, I didn't mean to imply the shock would hold the weight of the truck. The coil spring holds the weight of the truck, but now that weight is transferred to the from through the upper shock bracket instead of the torsion bar cross member. Even with the increases loading seen from the springs during compression i am guessing the loading seen from the spring is small compared to that of the shock. Of course that all goes out the window if you run out of compression in the shock or spring.
I dont really have much experience with suspension systems, just a good understanding of the physics behind how springs and shocks work so I could be way off on all this.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i can absolutely see that but without some way to measure it or a CAD program setup to replay the forces, we dont know for sure. definitly another way of looking at it i didnt think about

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
dirt testing will be on hold for a bit. just bought a set of deaver mini packs. once i have those in, my 1" drop shackles on and the smaller blocks in, its game time
:popcorn:

Let me know how you like the mini packs. I have been thinking of running a set when I lower my truck. Going to run an adjustable radius arm set up in the front.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Will do. seen mixed reveiws on them so far in lookin around but my leaf pack is pretty tired. is about a 3/4" off the overloads as is.