High mpg street truck

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
I have a 04.5 LLY on a highway run at 65-70 MPH I got 25.1 MPG according to the computer.
52c41d13.jpg

That was on the stock trans, Edge race level 4 tune, 33's and muffler delete.

I put very little faith in the accuracy of the dic fuel economy with anything other than a stock tune without doing work to the tables that determine what it sees.

dirty-b

KCCO!
Jun 5, 2010
Central MN
when I averaged 22mpg in my truck in my sig it was over a six week period driving 140 miles on the interstate everyday. I was on an overtime job and didn't drive the truck except back and forth to the job. Everyday.

I may be asking a lot but I want to do better than that. I also want a shortbed street truck hotrod again. Driving a big 4x4 is fun, I just miss having a street truck and shifting.

How fast where you driving? Who's tune? With my quadzilla I was getting that as a high (19-22 per tank) going 55-60 straight highway now it's 16 no matter how hard I try.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
All you guys claming an average over 22mpg need to prove it with more than 1 fillup. You can not check it one time on a trip and then clam that as your average. I not saying you can't get over 22 I'm just saying every one that has clamed that has never stepped up with proof.

I check mine every fill up. How exactly is someone going to "prove" it too you??

You think my GPS is off? or that I'm not capable of doing basic math with the help of a calculator? :rofl:

lddrew

shootin for 13's
Jan 10, 2011
West Georgia
I check mine every fill up. How exactly is someone going to "prove" it too you??

You think my GPS is off? or that I'm not capable of doing basic math with the help of a calculator? :rofl:

you need to purchase the actual average mpg algorithm from killerbee, that's the only way to be sure.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
How fast where you driving? Who's tune? With my quadzilla I was getting that as a high (19-22 per tank) going 55-60 straight highway now it's 16 no matter how hard I try.

that was at 75-80 mph on 285 tires. the tires help by lowering the cruising rpm. It was on stock turbo, trans. I just had a s&b intake and a 4" exhaust. EFILive tuned by bobo. It wasn't just a copy and paste tune either. He spent a lot of time in the truck making sure it was perfect. Bob did the same thing for me when I put the trans, turbo, and injectors in the truck. I won't have anyone else tune my truck and have made a lot of people believers in what efi is capable of after riding in my truck.

I also pull a 33' fifth wheel camper and before the major upgrades it would get around 11 mpg. After I did the upgrades and had Bob retune it, I am getting 14 mpg towing the camper. Same fuel, same conditions, same route,

I've talked to local guys that have had regular cab 4x4 zf6 trucks and they say the same thing about the better fuel mileage, especially on factory stock trucks. I am pretty confident my goal is possible. I just have to find the right truck to start with.

dirty-b

KCCO!
Jun 5, 2010
Central MN

Show me your calculations. Do you have a smart phone? Get an app and keep track of it. All I'm saying is most guys when talking about MPG will tell you the best they have gotten and lead you to believe that its their average. To prove my point I get 26......well I got 26 once and average 20-22.

ChevyTruck

Boats an Hoes!
Oct 19, 2011
Newark, De
Your DIC is way off with the Edge. Calculate it by hand and it will be way different.

I'll have to do that next road trip I have. I figured that it's off some because of the tire size. Plus I like showing them numbers off to friends that don't know any better. :roflmao:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I'll have to do that next road trip I have. I figured that it's off some because of the tire size. Plus I like showing them numbers off to friends that don't know any better. :roflmao:

Before I knew any better I used to be able to make my dads Lbz say 26+ :D I could set the cruise just after it shifted to 6th gear (63mph according to the speedo) and reset the mpg on the DIC and it'd say like 27.5 or so :rofl:

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

blackdmax15

Saving it to spend it
Sep 9, 2009
Beaufort, Sc
I don't post much on here but I see both sides of the coin. I think it's hard to get over 24mpgs in our trucks often just due to aerodynamics. I've logged a lot of miles with different size tires are different speeds and with my dpf on and off. In my new LML I got 24 the other day but that was at 55 on a flat road. I found out that synthetic oil helps a little and tire width affectsmpg due to rolling resistance and weight. If your duramax averages 18-22 hwy and 15-17mpg city you are doing well. Best bet for best mpg is a 2wd rclb lb7 running on 255 or narrower tires and you have lowered the truck and you live in Florida. Just my opinion.

derek06

Feb 6, 2012
massachusetts
Everyone does realize all the trucks will get different mileage because of body types and how they drive them. Also I have found that my mileage changes depending on where i fuel up.

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
so about the orignial post of a street truck getting 30mpg how light does the truck really have to weigh going with 3.42 gears lowered zf6 trans lighter what motor? lbz or lb7 what turbo? stock vvt or upgrade s366 stock sticks go for airflow rather than fuel flow kind of how danville keeps there truck alive at 765hp? lets work together to get shit worked out instead of everyones trucks that only get 20mpg average. i get 13btw.:hug:
tires?
weight reduction ideas?
gears?
motor?
turbo?
ideas and feedback GO!

Trevor79

Feb 20, 2012
I had a tdi Jetta. Only got 50-53mpg. Lol.

I get 17 on highway. The larger tires helped. Need to remove the emission crap next.