Question: hids

bigmonkey611

bigmonkey
Jan 11, 2013
Waterford Wi
I want hids but dont know what to get. I seen some guys were using ddm. What kits are the best? I like 6000ks had them awhile ago but they were just a cheap ebay set and very problematic. :D

Duramax5

duramax freak
Sep 15, 2011
West Texas
I have been using Luminis with the mini g4 ballast for about 6 months with zero problems. I have em in hi/lo n fogs. $40 a set

dieseltwodoor

Apr 13, 2010
Alberta
X3 ddm
I ran ddm high beams and stock dims. Then I did the headlight all on mod, so there was no drop in light while the hid highs warmed up.

Get it on
Got to get it on!
No choice but to get on!!
Mandate... Get-it-on!!!

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
Ddm tuning 6000k 35watts here. Love em except I'll be doing a projector eventually so the lights not all over the place lol. Only thing is, is that they take a couple weeks to come in since they come from china. Have them in both my girlfriends dmax and mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonesin33

Aug 26, 2011
TX
Ddm tuning 6000k 35watts here. Love em except I'll be doing a projector eventually so the lights not all over the place lol. Only thing is, is that they take a couple weeks to come in since they come from china. Have them in both my girlfriends dmax and mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2 DDM 6k 35w are great, projectors soon to come to redirect all the stray light.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
X4 on ddm I got some info for them.
picture.php

I have 5000k 55w they work great. :thumb:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I just put in a set of RETRO SOLUTIONS 35 watt 4300K's to replace a set of TENON 35 watt 4300K's I had in before. The RETRO's blow the TENON's out of the water for light output. There were to many problems with DDM's that I had read about flickering and long waits to get them(and long waits for replacement parts). The RETRO kits came in 2 days after I ordered them. One bulb was damaged, and they got me a replacement out the day after I filed a report with them, and they were always on top of any questions I had. And PLEASE for the love of GOD put projector housings in so you don't blind everybody else on the road. I love my HID's, but cannot stand them in regular halogen housings. Not to mention the projectors actually USE the extra light output instead of just making glare.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
I just put in a set of RETRO SOLUTIONS 35 watt 4300K's to replace a set of TENON 35 watt 4300K's I had in before. The RETRO's blow the TENON's out of the water for light output. There were to many problems with DDM's that I had read about flickering and long waits to get them(and long waits for replacement parts). The RETRO kits came in 2 days after I ordered them. One bulb was damaged, and they got me a replacement out the day after I filed a report with them, and they were always on top of any questions I had. And PLEASE for the love of GOD put projector housings in so you don't blind everybody else on the road. I love my HID's, but cannot stand them in regular halogen housings. Not to mention the projectors actually USE the extra light output instead of just making glare.
X1000 on the projectors! I want to shoot every SOB with HID's without projectors that blinds me at night

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I have HID's in every vehicle we own. I have ended up buying them on ebay for $35 for a 35w slim ballast kit. On the Silverados I do not use a relay kit, but I do install the "all on" diodes. I use relay kits for all the other vehicles, and slave in another relay to get me the "all on" when I have my high beams on.

I like the 8000*K lights. I dont want to be greedy and only went for twice the lumens of the incandescent bulbs.

With so many vehicles and HID's, I just ended up buying some spare kits (especially at $35 a kit) if I have an issue with a bulb.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
X1000 on the projectors! I want to shoot every SOB with HID's without projectors that blinds me at night

I used to carry a spotlight up front with me and return the favor to those with HID's aimed way up in regular housings. Around here they think it's cool to put HID's into regular housings in lifted trucks, and not re-aim them. It's downright dangerous to the other drivers. I have HID's in my lows and fogs, but my low beams are a staggerred cutoff(cuts the light down lower on the left side to safeguard oncoming traffic from glare better), and my lows are a set of HELLA micro DE projectors with a wide beam and sharp cutoff. I can see, and so can everybody else.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN

Sorry bout that :roflmao: maybe all on will be dimmer

Mine aren't in projectors but are aimed at the ground. Everyone that rides in my truck asks why they are pointing there.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
I used to carry a spotlight up front with me and return the favor to those with HID's aimed way up in regular housings. Around here they think it's cool to put HID's into regular housings in lifted trucks, and not re-aim them. It's downright dangerous to the other drivers. I have HID's in my lows and fogs, but my low beams are a staggerred cutoff(cuts the light down lower on the left side to safeguard oncoming traffic from glare better), and my lows are a set of HELLA micro DE projectors with a wide beam and sharp cutoff. I can see, and so can everybody else.

Part of the reason I put my 9,600 lumen 20" light bar on the front of my truck. They get 2 sets of highs, the 2" bar, all on if they want to be morons and put HIDs in halgen housings.

The retrofit is pretty easy to do. People that buy $35 kits on ebay don't know how much HID's differ from halogen bulbs.

It's a losing battle. :mad:

Also, what's the point of putting them in halogen housing if you aim them way down? :roflmao: Seems really .... really stupid.

GRNASTY

Feb 17, 2013

I bought an 03 police tahoe and do the same except with the police spotlight ... im in sc i put texas tags on the front usually have no problems. went 85-90 all the was to disneyland on i-95

ive blown by sc trooper 80 in 60 mph no worrys

i hated the cheap grey front .. so i rattle caned it black

7007ea4b.jpg

9599535f.jpg

94bf9492.jpg

Last edited: