Headers and hi flow up pipes

1slow01Z71

Wannabe EFILive Tuner
Eventually I plan on putting a bit larger turbo but no plans for a built motor in the near future(2+ years). Ive got the BD Manafold waiting to go on but I really like how those pipes look and depending on the price for all of it, may be worth the money since eventually they would be used to their full potential. Who all is selling them right now? I saw where RickDLance had some up pipes for sale but not headers.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
What we have seen in general with cross-section improvements:

We really need about 1/3rd more cross section of all components to run at 4000 rpm.

There are few gains to be had under 3000 rpm.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
I make the headers too. I made them for MDP till we parted ways a while back.

The up pipes seem to be the best bang for the buck. I have 2 members of this site that will either confirm or deny that soon for you.;) Several others across the country playing with them also.

The headers seem to only come into play when the HP goes above 750, but verifying this has not been possible yet. Back to back testing on the same dyno at power levels above 750 seems to be hard to come by.

Maybe NG, or any of the others, will step in and give their thoughts.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Let me refine what I said above.

What we are fighting is volume and its flow. As a general rule the more HP the engine makes, or the more RPM it turns, the more volume comes out of the cylinder.

As this volume increases the whole system must increase to meet the needs.

GM had a target volume area. Most all of us exceeded that a long time ago. ;)

Nov 3, 2006
Modesto, CA
Rick, are you still using the same flex that was used when the headers were sold from MDP? I do not like that flex. I think their is a better way.

I wasn't able to do back to back testing but the drive psi on my truck is very low compared to others with a similar build and I think the headers are quite a bit of the reason.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Sadly, Yes I am still using the SS flex that we used towards the end. I am trying a new idea, but it will take a couple of more weeks to go into testing.

A very good friend and I are working on a joint project and we looked for a lined bellows. On the scale we are working on no one really wanted to work with us and those that talked to me scared the crap outa me with the price.

Any suggestions?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Just rambling:

Floating Pedestal Mount.

Risers are 1/4" longer than stock, otherwise the same.

Belleville? washers under the turbo, and above the turbo feet, with a shoulder bolt 3/8" longer than needed will allow the entire charger to move upward when the risers expand.

This can also dampen vibration if you get the right spring rate.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
What were you doing with the ribbed ones then? :rofl:

Got a link on the smooth inside ones?

They are smooth because they have mesh weave inside. Which I doubt flows any better than smooth radial ridges.

I bought these a couple years ago, so all I know is that the 2.25" one at that time had the mesh inside.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
headed out the door, google these 2 guys.

Paul? Washburnracing.com in socal

burnsstainless in El Cajon, California

Good luck. If i send you to a dead end, PP me and I'll dig and get you some contacts.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Already talked to burns. I'll have a look at washburn. Thanks!!

It's not only a flow issue on the bellows. It's packaging too. We are super confined on the space back there unless you're running twins.;)

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007

The first link is the good one AFAIC. At the bottom of the page is "Flanged With Spacers and Liner". Thats the ideal one, but pricing so far has been over $200 each. :eek:

The other 2 links have some that we've tried already. They are just too damn bulky, and without a liner have poor flow characteristics. They are fairly reasonable though.

Last edited:

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
headed out the door, google these 2 guys.

Paul? Washburnracing.com in socal

burnsstainless in El Cajon, California

Good luck. If i send you to a dead end, PP me and I'll dig and get you some contacts.
When you get a chance can you check the washburnracing.com link?

Nov 3, 2006
Modesto, CA
The first link is the good one AFAIC. At the bottom of the page is "Flanged With Spacers and Liner". Thats the ideal one, but pricing so far has been over $200 each. :eek:

The other 2 links have some that we've tried already. They are just too damn bulky, and without a liner have poor flow characteristics. They are fairly reasonable though.

Glad to see you have already done your homework. You don't need my help. Let me know when you have a fix. I'm sick of mine.