LB7: Head studs vs factory

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
I've put 167k on my lbz. I'd consider my driving more on the aggresive side.... Then again I do have a lbz. Best of the bunch:D

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Im pretty sure they ARE in fact TTY. This "debate" has been BEAT TO DEATH on the cummins-based forums. It's just been sooo long since I've read up on it, I honestly can't remember the logic behind why it is they may (I say "may" because thats what the whole debate is about - IF the over tightening really helps em seal better) hold up just as good as studs.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I know old 12V trucks are not TTY. They are reusable and TTY bolts are not. I'm not sure about 24V trucks.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
The CR trucks may be. Def wouldn't be surprised on the 6.7 but I'm pretty sure the 24 valves aren't. We torques my brothers head bolts to 135 and they held 55-60 psi just fine. When he went to a billet 66 with a race cover we did studs one at a time just to be safe.

aj43az

Mar 3, 2012
I was told that i need to go back with the same thickness gaskets, but i see thats not what is being done, can anyone help clear up this confusion for me? and wheres a good place to buy the gasket sets?
thx

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
It's a hit and miss. I'm not running studs, and I have a t-3 charger that has to have tremendous dp's. If she pops a gasket now, she deserves to.

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
I was told that i need to go back with the same thickness gaskets, but i see thats not what is being done, can anyone help clear up this confusion for me? and wheres a good place to buy the gasket sets?
thx

I've always been told go with grade c head gaskets. Check out merchant automotive for a complete kit.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I hurt a HG on my stock engine with the kit on it. Stock fuel system. Water pump was OK when I pulled it

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
thx

Has to do with piston to deck height from block to block. Some motors came with a grade a on one side and a grade b one the othe side from the factory. To make it easy when doing head gaskets the kits that are sold most come with grade c gaskets. If you look at the link and pick out what came off your truck and you can replace what you took off. But most will be taking there heads to have them checked at the machine shop and if there given a clean up pass you will want a thicker gasket then.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6148

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
so how is it the cummins guys are getting away with more torque on their TTY bolts and holding headgaskets together better than at the factory torque?

if they are in fact tty bolts, they arent. once you surpass the yeild strength of the bolt it actually weakens imensely. they will only stretch so far before they turn into play dough.

lb7Hoodman

Nov 14, 2016
Thats what I have heard from others also. Boost plus aggressive tuning can result in a failure. So why take the chance? I would do head studs . I bought a set years ago that are sitting in the garage for when the day comes. I bought them so long ago I paid $525 for them to my door! seems I could sell them today and make a profit! :D
So getting a tune can cause a blown HG?...its all stock tune 100 extra HP...i am currently going to get a headgasket upgrade kit with arp headstuds...is that ok with a stock tune?
Its a DD not a race truck. I havent pulled my motor I have a spare LLY. I just want a fresh motor with more oil pressure and not a shitty injection system. I will probably do a small set of twins and enjoy it as a DD/tow vehicle. I have talked to a few engine builders and for what I am doing studs are unnecessary. I will squish a rod far before I lift the heads.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So getting a tune can cause a blown HG?...its all stock tune 100 extra HP...i am currently going to get a headgasket upgrade kit with arp headstuds...is that ok with a stock tune?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

you dug up a 4 year old thread and tagged two guys who damn near never post here any more.