LB7: Head studs vs factory

2005LLY

Sep 18, 2011
I have a LLY, plan on adding a big single, and more fuel.. Should I worry about my stock gaskets and bolts? Or should I spend the 3 grand and have grade C and studs put in?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Heads can lift slightly even with the stock charger with big tuning (32# boost). Not so much to blow the gasket out, but enough to let some coolant into the cylinder. There was evidence of that when I rebuilt my engine.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Heads can lift slightly even with the stock charger with big tuning (32# boost). Not so much to blow the gasket out, but enough to let some coolant into the cylinder. There was evidence of that when I rebuilt my engine.

Its not the boost on a stock turboed truck that is lifting the head, its the drive pressure. The fact stock studs can hold 80psi+ of drive pressure tells you something right there

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
I musta had some really bad hg's then. I had evidence of coolant in 6 of the 8 cylinders when i did mine at 118k miles. Just took the heads off a 220k mile 02 lb7 tonight, #4, #8, #7 all had signs of coolant in those an that truck got ragged on HARD!!

Didnt wanna take a chance, went back with studs in mine, got them for $525.....josh is doing studs too. Peace of mind i guess

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut

Thats what I have heard from others also. Boost plus aggressive tuning can result in a failure. So why take the chance? I would do head studs . I bought a set years ago that are sitting in the garage for when the day comes. I bought them so long ago I paid $525 for them to my door! seems I could sell them today and make a profit! :D

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
the amount of abuse the HG's take really seems to vary from truck to truck. We're at 612rwhp on one customers 02LB7 and she's still running strong yet i see popped HG's on customers trucks that were babied all the time. roll of the dice i say

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA

I saw the same thing when we tore mine down Tom. It had some rust on the deck between 5 & 7 . Coolant would magically disappear every couple months after the 4094 and nozzles too. Never went over 40 psi.

Last edited:

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
Ran over 60psi when I had the twins and stock motor rod failed before the HG's did. Had no sign of coolant in any of the cylinders either. Every motor is different. Off you have the coin do them if not then you may want to play it safe with tuning.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I saw the same thing when we tore mine down Tom. It had some rust on the deck between 5 & 7 . Coolant would magically disappear every couple months after the 4094 and nozzles too. Never went over 40 psi.

come to think of it my truck may be doing this too. i notice my coolant level drops very very slowly. Truck makes 42psi max

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I'd like to know the whole seller that sells the studs for $400 not for the studs but for other things! I have a couple accounts with whole sellers and I can get them for just under $550 ,I have seen them cheaper ,under $540 but they probably whack you with shipping handling BS.

I have the accounts for Jeep parts ,tires ETC easy enough to set up a account since I have a business with all the necessary docs required to do it. So if anyone finds out or if Paint wants to give it up drop me a dime in a PM. Not looking to go into business just personal purchases.

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
I ran a big single and stock studs. No problem. I was about 46lbs boost on the big tune. Truck had 160k on it when I sold it. Truck was tuned since 8k miles at varying levels Have a couple friends with 05lly's under 100k miles that have had HG issues with 40-60 hp tunes probably only 25-30lbs boost.

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
My 01 needed HG's, I did ARP's and C grade gaskets, seems like 01-02 are more prone to have HG issues, I was running a Toman tune that got my old LB7 down the track in 12.65 seconds with a stock turbo (34 psi) and stock injectors/Cp3.
30280_1133856163862_1751063143_244258_3085820_n.jpg

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Prolly stupid but I'm guessing over tightening of the stock bolts won't get you any more "clamp" than stock spec? The Dodge guys do it with success but I don't know if we could?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
If i could buy them for $400 i could mark them up, resell them and still come in under my cost now lol. hook us up with your source,,,:thumb:

More so you could sell them to whole sellers by way of a drop shipment never even touch them in quantity just some paper work and make a ton of money at $400 !!! ME TOO on the source! :thumb:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
More so you could sell them to whole sellers by way of a drop shipment never even touch them in quantity just some paper work and make a ton of money at $400 !!! ME TOO on the source! :thumb:

If you or anyone else finds out who is selling them for that cheap, I want a PM too.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Prolly stupid but I'm guessing over tightening of the stock bolts won't get you any more "clamp" than stock spec? The Dodge guys do it with success but I don't know if we could?

No. They are torque-to-yeild. The yeild strength of the bolt is engineered to be the specific clamping force the engine designers figured would be required. That is why they are tightened as a torque plus aditional degrees. Speeds up the assembly line process...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
No. They are torque-to-yeild. The yeild strength of the bolt is engineered to be the specific clamping force the engine designers figured would be required. That is why they are tightened as a torque plus aditional degrees. Speeds up the assembly line process...

so how is it the cummins guys are getting away with more torque on their TTY bolts and holding headgaskets together better than at the factory torque?