Has anyone blown up a Mishimoto intercooler?

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
And do they actually cover them lifetime warranty?

Seems pretty hard to beat for the $$$.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
well im not pushing a crap load of boost or anything (60psi) but its holding up good and seems to work better than stock. its definitely built way better than stock lol

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
I haven't heard of any, there was a thread about them and one guy mentioned pushing a 100psi through his and held. I just got a sweet deal from amazon on one.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
How much trying to decide between that spearco and banks

What deciding is there to do with Spearco's when there are plenty of pictures proving they blow open?

Banks, BD or mishimoto... notice how all the ones that are holding up are cast end tanks.. ;)

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
It was 970 sumthin with free shipping, and I had some gift cards saved up so for me it came out to like 740 lol.
They have black or natural color as well.

blue09dmaxx

Too broke for this shit
Jan 15, 2012
The south
What deciding is there to do with Spearco's when there are plenty of pictures proving they blow open?

Banks, BD or mishimoto... notice how all the ones that are holding up are cast end tanks.. ;)

Have heard about spearco fixing them by adding rods but ok banks or mishimoto

Mishimoto

Jul 25, 2013
Hey guys,

It would be quite a challenge to generate enough boost to destroy one of our coolers. We were actually interested in this ourselves and put together a neat test video to see how much pressure a stock plastic end tank intercooler could handle as well as one of our fully aluminum intercoolers. Although this is a 6.0L Powerstroke cooler, a similar comparison could be made with any of our intercoolers.

[YOUTUBE]NXrt5Cp2Ulc[/YOUTUBE]

As you can see the stock cooler blew right around 100 psi of pressure. The end tank essentially exploded and separated from the core. The Mishimoto intercooler took 125 psi without issue, which is the maximum pressure we see from our compressor.

Now, this does not account for the effect of heat, but still provides a good idea of the capabilities of both the stock and Mishimoto intercooler. Additionally we have a few shops running our coolers at 100 psi for quite some time without any issues at all.

:thumb:

Mishimoto

Jul 25, 2013
well thats a ford 6.0 stock part. we all now that crap fails :roflmao: :D

I was impressed the stock ford one held that much psi.

We were also quite surprised by the strength of the factory unit. It would be neat to put together a second test with a GM intercooler to see how it holds up. We have an LML coming into the shop in the next few weeks for development, I wonder if the vehicle owner would mind us destroying his factory intercooler?

Thanks for checking it out guys. :thumb: