grid heater delete

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Because he asked if any harm will be done trying to start/run the truck with no intake heater..so I mentioned the fact that lly's (04.5-05) don't even come with one from the factory.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Out of every duramax I've owned and driven, I've never experienced one warming up faster than another.

It seems to me the LB7s and LBZs warm up faster then the LLY. For sure the LBZ will not only does it have the heater, but the trans will put a load on the engine. When they came out LBZs where burning up the trans in -40* weather due to the load and the fluid being to thick to flow.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
It seems to me the LB7s and LBZs warm up faster then the LLY. For sure the LBZ will not only does it have the heater, but the trans will put a load on the engine. When they came out LBZs where burning up the trans in -40* weather due to the load and the fluid being to thick to flow.

You serious, Lb7's are notorious for warming up slow

And fwiw my lb7 does not warm up any slower without the healer coil

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Both of my lbz's have the intake heater deleted. They still start just fine at -10 deg and can't tell any difference in warm up time. Only thing I do notice is a slight hazing at idle, but they hazed alittle before. Unless you live in an extremely cold climate I don't think you need it.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Yea if it's cold out and my Lbz is in high idle it loads the engine up. After 5-10 min I have a Trans temp of almost 180 and the coolant temp has barely moved off the 160 mark. Needless to say I don't put it in high idle anymore for fear of burning up a trans

LBZMIKE

Nov 15, 2014
colorado
You got something wrong with your truck when you first start your truck and you let it idle for 10-15 minutes your trans temp should barely if at all move my lbz doesnt budge until i drive it a good 30 minutes after leting it warm up for 10-15 minutes in 20° heat or lower

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
You got something wrong with your truck when you first start your truck and you let it idle for 10-15 minutes your trans temp should barely if at all move my lbz doesnt budge until i drive it a good 30 minutes after leting it warm up for 10-15 minutes in 20° heat or lower

They are using the high idle

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Yea when it builds heat it's in high idle and the trans puts a load on the engine. If it's not in high idle it never gets warm by the time I get to work

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
My trans temp is still ice cold after being in high idle. Won't warm up until I drive it for about 10min.

LBZMIKE

Nov 15, 2014
colorado
How does that work how does it heat the trans fluid up that much sitting still i know the allisons are pretty fancy but this doesnt make since to how that could work pleace explain if you can might learn me something today lol

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
How does that work how does it heat the trans fluid up that much sitting still i know the allisons are pretty fancy but this doesnt make since to how that could work pleace explain if you can might learn me something today lol

It applies certain clutch packs (I think C5 and C4, I could be wrong) to effectively create a "tie up" inside the trans, which stalls the turbine, and then increases engine RPM.

This places load on the engine because it has to overcome the locked turbine in the converter.

Its effectively the same thing as if you were to sit there with the trans in drive, hold your foot on the brake, and increase the revs to 1100rpm. Power-braking it. Uses the stalled converter to both load the engine, and produce heat in the converter, thus warming the trans.

Its a pretty clever idea.

If you listen closely to an 06+ when it goes into high idle, first the engine increases RPM's, then about 5 seconds later, you'll hear the engine change tone a bit and hear something from the transmission....thats the transmission shifting itself from "neutral", where the turbine rotates freely, to locked-turbine/stalled converter.

Ben

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Yea if it's cold out and my Lbz is in high idle it loads the engine up. After 5-10 min I have a Trans temp of almost 180 and the coolant temp has barely moved off the 160 mark. Needless to say I don't put it in high idle anymore for fear of burning up a trans

There is a "Recall" that will fix the issue. Maybe you have read up on it, but there was lots of discussion on the subject if your interested. I know its cold up there, but I would think you could use HI most of the time.

I shouldn't say "ice cold". What I meant was it doesn't move the gauge at all until I've driven about 3-4 miles.

You could have the recall done. :confused:

I don't recall how it loads the trans. I just know it burns up converters due to the fluid being to thick at -40.

Edit: Bens got it I figured that was how it was done, but wasn't sure if you could just ramp the pressure way up to load it.

Last edited:

LBZMIKE

Nov 15, 2014
colorado
Oh ok i was callin B.S on that but this makes more since so it isnt the same as just holding you foot on the pedal for 10 minutes this is the high idle where the truck thinks its useing the pto ? How hard is that to get on your truck ?

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
It applies certain clutch packs (I think C5 and C4, I could be wrong) to effectively create a "tie up" inside the trans, which stalls the turbine, and then increases engine RPM.

This places load on the engine because it has to overcome the locked turbine in the converter.

Its effectively the same thing as if you were to sit there with the trans in drive, hold your foot on the brake, and increase the revs to 1100rpm. Power-braking it. Uses the stalled converter to both load the engine, and produce heat in the converter, thus warming the trans.

Its a pretty clever idea.

If you listen closely to an 06+ when it goes into high idle, first the engine increases RPM's, then about 5 seconds later, you'll hear the engine change tone a bit and hear something from the transmission....thats the transmission shifting itself from "neutral", where the turbine rotates freely, to locked-turbine/stalled converter.

Ben

You can really hear it load the motor without a VVT. Its a very pronounced change in exhaust tone.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Rarely gets cold enough for high idle where I live, it did a couple weeks ago. Started the truck got out to bring the garbage cans to the house and it's quite a sound to hear the truck go through the sequence you describe (while outside the truck), I knew what it was and the truck sounded possessed, it started the procedure about 45 seconds after I started the truck.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
my LB7 is not fast at all at warming up. neither before or after the heater was removed.

all i do now is in 40-60* weather and its been outside, start it 15 min before i leave. 30-40* i start it 20min before leaving, 30 and below it gets a full 30 min.

and still, its barely blowing warm air when i hop in the truck lol. greatest thing for that was a remote start and training myself to turn defrost/floor heat on, max blower on before she was parked for the night. made for a better mornings in snowy flagstaff