GM Ponders Reviving 4.5-liter Duramax V-8 Diesel

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
While the 4.5L Dmax is all kinds of Badass, I agree with many on here that the sales would be pitiful. The people who actually want diesels will get the 6.6. Just like people who like performance gas engines are going to get a V8 over a V6.

Now as for the general public, most of them would buy an electric car before a diesel. Part of it is they just dont care, part of it is they think the electric cars are better, part of it is they dont know what a diesel is and the biggest part of it is that they still think that diesels are slow, noisy, smelly, pollute the air and you can find diesel anywhere but a truck stop.

Now that being said, the VW TDIs have been flying off the shelfs. I see more and more everyday. But at the same time thats a family car that gets over 40mpg. Like Ben said, the soccer mom driving the Tahoe doesnt want to spend the extra money or the hassle of owning a diesel.

Diesels cost more to maintain for the first 100,000 miles. Its true and this is a big turnoff for most. Ever look at any $29.95 oil change add, every one says diesels excluded.

Diesel fuel still is hard to find in some places of the US, outside of truck stops that have 1" nozzles that dont fit in passenger tanks.

Diesel engines cost more upfront. A big turn off.

And diesel fuel still costs more than gasoline. And with gasoline fuel economy getting better, the reasons for buying a diesel are getting thinner.

As of now I dont think we could honestly tell somebody who plans to own their diesel for 100,000 miles, that in the end they will come out money ahead. And since most Americans prefer gas engines, money is the only thing that will sell them on a diesel.

The Tax incentive for buying a TDI VW helped them move a bunch of them, maybe the government can do this for the 4.5L. Oh wait its a 4.5L for SUVs and pickups, the two things the government would like to see gone. And honestly, if we want to reduce our overall fuel consumption we can get rid of a lot of these. They always target us folks with the diesels, but really if they completely wiped out the 1/2 ton truck market they would get rid of 95% of the nations unneeded pickups. Now I think its safe to say most of us on here dont really need our diesels, but its our hobby and passion. Just like Joe Schmo buying a mustang.

In the end, I really dont think the 4.5L would sell as well as many may think. But since GM has already spent the money on the R&D why not just offer it as an option. The work is done, now put it in the truck.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I'm aware of what you meant. I stated that gassers are doing it now and I don't think diesels will be that far behind.

Not in our trucks. A car is a different story. Bottem line, it remains to be seen. Maybe if emissions standards were relaxed a little, then it MIGHT happen.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Not in our trucks. A car is a different story. Bottem line, it remains to be seen. Maybe if emissions standards were relaxed a little, then it MIGHT happen.

Thats about as likely as diesel going back to $1 per gallon.

The emissions standards wont get relaxed. The engine manufacturers just need to get smarter and find new technologies or use existing technologies to help meet emissions regs and still get good fuel economy. VW did it, granted they are one of the largest auto makers in the world.

In a way, it is lazy Americans. Look at the stuff coming out of Germany and tell me we make better stuff? We dont. Im all for America, but we need to get our act together. The technlogy they put into things makes us look like we are still building Model Ts.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Thats about as likely as diesel going back to $1 per gallon.

The emissions standards wont get relaxed. The engine manufacturers just need to get smarter and find new technologies or use existing technologies to help meet emissions regs and still get good fuel economy. VW did it, granted they are one of the largest auto makers in the world.

In a way, it is lazy Americans. Look at the stuff coming out of Germany and tell me we make better stuff? We dont. Im all for America, but we need to get our act together. The technlogy they put into things makes us look like we are still building Model Ts.

Thats in a car. America does build junk for the most part. However our Dmax's are, for the most part, cutting edge. Not even the Japs can build a 300hp diesel that will get 30mpg in a 6500lb truck.

Im in the machine shop business, so in my little world the Japs have the market beat in every aspect. Need a good CNC look for a jap made machine. Period.

mb1

Nov 15, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I gotta agree with Ben here, most people care about 3 things when they buy a vehicle. 1) how big is it? 2) what does it look like? 3) whats the payment?

Put it this way. What would you pay for an Ed Hardy t-shirt? The people that like them pay $100 ( or whatever it is ). The vast majority of people wouldn't pay more than $9.

Sorry about the association:rolleyes:

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Thats in a car. America does build junk for the most part. However our Dmax's are, for the most part, cutting edge. Not even the Japs can build a 300hp diesel that will get 30mpg in a 6500lb truck.

Im in the machine shop business, so in my little world the Japs have the market beat in every aspect. Need a good CNC look for a jap made machine. Period.

Im a farmer, and can say a lot of the stuff from germany has the Edge. When it comes to tractors and forage harvestors they are they industry standard over there.

flyinelvis11

May 11, 2010
VG, IL (because my wife does)
I wouldnt worry about it. They would never put it in a denali. I mean come on you think 99% of the denali demographic or customer base would buy a 'yucky diesel'???? ;)

If it goes into ANY non-HD-pickup truck it would be the 2500 suburban, or the half ton pickup truck, thats it. I will eat my shorts if they put it into a half ton tahoe, escalade, or denali. :)

ben

well i will say 2011 GMC denali's will available in 2500HD and 3500HD chassis configurations. don't rule it out.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
well i will say 2011 GMC denali's will available in 2500HD and 3500HD chassis configurations. don't rule it out.

when I said denali I meant the 'real' denali. The yukon ones that are around everywhere. And yes, sorry, but I think we can safely rule out that the 4.5 liter duramax WILL NEVER GO IN AN ESCALADE, DENALI, OR ANY HALF TON SUV.

The two benefits to a diesel are better towing and better fuel economy. People with denali's and escalades usually dont ever tow stuff, and you can bet your 6.6 duramax they dont give a shit about fuel economy. ;)

ben

Last edited:

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
when I said denali I meant the 'real' denali. The yukon ones that are around everywhere. And yes, sorry, but I think we can safely rule out that the 4.5 liter duramax WILL NEVER GO IN AN ESCALADE, DENALI, OR ANY HALF TON SUV.

The two benefits to a diesel are better towing and better fuel economy. People with denali's and escalades usually dont ever tow stuff, and you can bet your 6.6 duramax they dont give a shit about fuel economy. ;)

ben

Dont you have a Denali HD ben??
:happy2:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
The Master has spoken :hail2:
Yup.....:hail:

I had to recently dig back through my files for the boss man ironically about this emissions BS and why we can't bring trucks over to Europe anymore ( aparently he "lost" all the stuff I sent him) and thought I would post up these two tables. One I got from Wikipedia for the Euro emissions only because of the pretty colours and had the same data as the Euro website just in graph form. The US stuff is right from the EPA's website, and took alot of digging to find. Good thing I got payed to do it!!

As you can see, EPA limits for up to 50 000 mile Light Duty Trucks are almost double the current standards for Euro 5 in the PM and NOx categories.

Like I said before, it's likely a political or a mere cost of the vehicle thing keeping the Euro Diesel's out of the US.

Attachments

• Euronorms_Diesel.png
    Euronorms_Diesel.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 17
  • US EPA.JPG
    US EPA.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 13

flyinelvis11

May 11, 2010
VG, IL (because my wife does)

ben

copy that, sorry for the confusion!:confused: you don't have to be so mean, i thought i was on the df for a second there. :thumb: i'll do you one better, i think we can safely rule out that hte 4.5 WILL NEVER GO INTO ANY GM VEHICLE. i'm still gonna hold out hope for a diesel suv cuz my wife is killing us on fuel costs going to and from work! and yes it is safe to say anyone who drives an all wheel drive suv doesn't give a shit about gas milage.