GM Last to Class with 1/2 Ton Diesel??

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
So obviously Dodge has done pretty good with the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and now I'm reading that Ford is putting a 3.0L V6 Power Stroke in the F150 starting mid-MY2018. What's GM waiting for? Just like suckling on the ol' hind teet or what?!?! I mean crap, they went through complete development of that 4.3L (or was it 3.4L?) smaller Duramax, why aren't the bringing it back up to get it in the 1500?! Or surely they have one similar in displacement and power to the 3.0L like the EcoDiesel and new little Power Stroke (which is rumored to be kin to a 3.0L diesel used in Jaguar Land Rover applications in other parts of the world)?? Surely GM has something similar already in use somewhere else in the world that they could tweak to work here in the full size 1/2 tons?

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
It was the 4.5 LMK
It would be nice to see a small v8 diesel in a 1500 comparable with the 5.0 cummins in the nissan not a small v6 like dodge & ford since there's already the 2.8 in the canyon/colorados

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
So obviously Dodge has done pretty good with the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and now I'm reading that Ford is putting a 3.0L V6 Power Stroke in the F150 starting mid-MY2018. What's GM waiting for? Just like suckling on the ol' hind teet or what?!?! I mean crap, they went through complete development of that 4.3L (or was it 3.4L?) smaller Duramax, why aren't the bringing it back up to get it in the 1500?! Or surely they have one similar in displacement and power to the 3.0L like the EcoDiesel and new little Power Stroke (which is rumored to be kin to a 3.0L diesel used in Jaguar Land Rover applications in other parts of the world)?? Surely GM has something similar already in use somewhere else in the world that they could tweak to work here in the full size 1/2 tons?

Im not sure but they may be waiting trumps promised emission cutbacks ( i hope so at least) :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I'd rather a little inline 6 or a bigger inline 4 than a small v8 or 6

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
i would love to see the 4.5L duramax completed. from my recollection, the HP and torque numbers were supposed to be in the realm of the LB7 when it was introduced. if the LB7 was a game changer this 4.5L should be too.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Id expect them to have a slightly bolstered version of their 2.8 in the new gen 1500's. Probably designated a 3.0 like the ram and ford.

Dmaxmoe

Jun 19, 2016
I recall reading that GM still has rights to the 3.0 VM that the Eco diesel uses, so if that's the case I'm sure it's on the table as well. There's also been a few articles stating the 4.5 duramax isn't dead and it still sitting ready, and might even have a CGI block. A little digging should uncover those articles.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I don't care which configuration it is or exactly how big it is but I think they're missing the boat with the fuel sipping 1/2 ton. Need to do it and get upper 20 mpg or low 30 mpg in a full size pickup like the other two are doing.

What's the Colorado rated to get for mpg? Better be mid 30s on the road or else might as well get a full size that gets almost 30.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I was just looking at the Colorado diesel. I believe it is 22/30. I would rather just get a half ton in the Ram. I agree they need to get with the program. I might end up with a new half ton diesel end of this year. Most bang for the buck diesel option at that point is getting my money.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
what about taking the 2.8L and stroking it out to a 3L? think there is any chance of that on the drawing board?

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I recall reading that GM still has rights to the 3.0 VM that the Eco diesel uses, so if that's the case I'm sure it's on the table as well. There's also been a few articles stating the 4.5 duramax isn't dead and it still sitting ready, and might even have a CGI block. A little digging should uncover those articles.

The 3.0 is a fiat engine originally designed by GM. I think their claims on it are gone but I could be wrong

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Gm was actually probably the first to have half ton diesels, in the 80s. Now let's get em back lol and maybe a little bit better this time. But the 6.2 was good at what it was meant for and that is mileage and nothing else.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I don't see the point of a half ton oil burner honestly. Not unless it's a means to shift the whole fleet eventually. Still a 1500 with the same limitations, which are not limitations imposed by their current power levels with gas options. It is limitation of frame/suspension/driveline and most importantly what the market believes.

I always like diesel, have had a few VW TDI's which were fantaastic. But with a 1/2 ton, priced out with a diesel, you're bordering on HD territory in price. I know I would never short change myself for a few grand by limiting the capacities of my truck and getting a 1500 to save 1500 haha. I am also crazy.

The Ecodiesel in ram is not an engine I would choose, nor is a ram. They tend to rust pretty severely here in the NE. The 3.0 came out in the Jeep first. One of my customers had a Toaureg TDI with 3.0 and a Jeep Eco with 3.0. The Jeep had bookoo problems especially with winter driving. The touaregs were always pretty fantastic albeit expensive to maintain.

But if we compare capacities, cost to own, diesel quirks which don;t suit the average car owner and base price, the diesel doesn't make much sense unless its a trophy truck they make a few of, or the beginning of the market switch from big V8 gassers to small displacement diesels.

WIth the VW emissiosn stuff going on, I am surprised to hear other companies bringing their diesels to the states this soon. Perhaps its the old no press is bad press thing. Either way it is a good thing, but it doesn't make sense unless it's a niche option orfull scale implementation

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
X2^. We all love diesels but we only represent less than 1% of the buyers market. The costs to own, maintain, and up front surcharge just doesn't make a few mpgs extra worth it to the vast majority of people. I could care less if GM ever offers a 1/2 ton diesel.

AKRiverRunner

Jun 2, 2013
Fairbanks, Alaska
I thought I might be interested in a 1/2 ton diesel until I saw the price tags. You don't save much money over what you lose in capacity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
I believe they are holding out the 1/2 ton Duramax for fear of killing their HD market. Your average 6.6L Duramax owner doesn't need an HD truck. Your average guy likes the 6.6L for the performance, or maybe for when he occasionally tows a trailer. Most guys could get away with a 1/2 ton but choose the Duramax instead...which is a far more expensive truck to buy and maintain. GM knows this.

I envision a loaded 4x4 4.5L 1500 GMC with aftermarket support...that would be the last truck most guys would ever need to buy. Guys would never buy an HD truck again. GM would be selling far less expensive HD trucks. A new Duramax is $60K. A new 1/2 ton is half that. Consider a few grand upcharge for the 4.5L diesel option and they're losing their ass...

I for one would be lined up to buy a 4.5L as soon as I could get my hands on one. Once the aftermarket gets hold of it, I see a big HP daily driver with mid travel that gets 30 MPG and can tow a trailer just as well as my 6.6L, rides better, handles better etc etc. Build them already!

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
A Cummins tundra is 70k and duramax Colorado is mid 40s. An ecodiesel is 60k

Not a big difference. I'll take my 65k Denali hd now please.