GM Last to Class with 1/2 Ton Diesel??

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
I also say I just don't see the point in one. I think the new 1/2 ton gassers get around 22mpg on the highway. Then you have the emissions crap to put up with, higher maintenance, not much price difference for less towing. Sounds cool in theory but it's just not practical to me.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Yup if they could build a 1/2 ton it needs the following specs to be a success IMO: power/tq of the Nissan 5.0, economy of the Dodge 3.0 or better, payload the same as the current 1/2 ton, price close to that of the current 1/2 ton (within a few thousand dollars), and cut out as much of the emissions as possible.

That's a tough truck to build so I can see why gm isn't jumping on the bandwagon. The Colorado is closer to the other diesel 1/2 tons than I think their current 1/2 ton with a diesel would ever be with the current engine technology.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I believe they are holding out the 1/2 ton Duramax for fear of killing their HD market. Your average 6.6L Duramax owner doesn't need an HD truck. Your average guy likes the 6.6L for the performance, or maybe for when he occasionally tows a trailer. Most guys could get away with a 1/2 ton but choose the Duramax instead...which is a far more expensive truck to buy and maintain. GM knows this.

I envision a loaded 4x4 4.5L 1500 GMC with aftermarket support...that would be the last truck most guys would ever need to buy. Guys would never buy an HD truck again. GM would be selling far less expensive HD trucks. A new Duramax is $60K. A new 1/2 ton is half that. Consider a few grand upcharge for the 4.5L diesel option and they're losing their ass...

I for one would be lined up to buy a 4.5L as soon as I could get my hands on one. Once the aftermarket gets hold of it, I see a big HP daily driver with mid travel that gets 30 MPG and can tow a trailer just as well as my 6.6L, rides better, handles better etc etc. Build them already!

Im sure it;d be a great truck honestly. The 1500 could use a kick in the pants power wise, for me at least.

I came from a brand new 2014 1500 that I owned for 1.5 years before switching to the HD. Even if it had the diesel it would not be enough truck for me and the things I use it for. Granted, my truck only sees "duty" a couple times a month. But those few times a month in the 1500 were not confidence inspiring. My 1500 was rated at like 9500ish lbs in tow. I was solid til 7,500. Above that, lots of wind and road feedback to mitigate as the driver. I also was not and still am not convinced the new trucks are built to the standard we expect as far as quality materials and overall longevity of life, in relation to build quality and not powertrain.

I mean, in the 1500 CCSB(LB in 1500 talk). If I had my gear, 4 friends and my two dogs, I was already pretty much at capacity before adding a trailer. Now, that capacity is conservative, but my point is it wasn't enough truck. I'd agree with you that most people don't need an HD, and on paper I don't either. But I bought it for a few specific reasons none of which will ever hold true for a 1500 in todays auto market.

1: Length of life
2: resale
3: ability to tow/haul heavy for long distances with decent efficiency
4: major power
5:cool factor
6: with the 2500 I dont feel like I need a lift, like I did with my 1500

The 1500's are not built to the same level of heavy dutiness. Nothing wrong with that for the average driver, but for those that would plow or tow, that less beefy stuff will wear out faster. 1500 resales have dropped like rocks since manufacturers made the prices insane while simultaneously discounting 20% off the MSRP and sending out leases like crazy. The used market is inundated with used 1500's and the prices are ugly. The payments on my 1500 which were $660 per month, correlated directly with the amount of depreciation of the 1.5 years I owned. Too much money to spend fora truck that tanks at the same rate (until $20kish). Comparatively, I bought my LMM in march for $30k. I have paid approx 35% off, and the value has actually gone up in my area. I mean, I still wasted money on new sexy parts, but the that's my own issue and not the trucks haha

Fear of hitting their HD market is real. The same reason why VW doesn't produce sedans with AWD, cuz who in their right might would then go spend 50% more on an Audi?