Girlfriends new ride

ThebigGids

Jun 13, 2011
Bellingham, wa
Got the girlfriend a 07 Denali. Clean one owner. Got it 6k below book, pretty awesome rig...of course though it's not going to stay stock...fml I'm addicted haha!

Anyone else got a 07 or newer Denali? 6.2l? How's the 6L80?

Believe it needs a set of front breaks, no biggie. Not sure what type to get though. Also for see a set of shocks figure I'll throw some bilsteins on it.

Also figure I've got a v2 why not some black bear tunes. Also a catch can for the PCV. Maybe an exhaust and intake.

Know this is a duramax forum but hoping maybe there's some guys on here that also have a 6.2 that can give some tips on getting slightly better mpg. Joined the Yukontahoe forum but doesn't seem like that great of a forum...

2vkkeg3.jpg

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
6.2s really wake up with boltons and a tune. Headers, CAI, exhaust, and tune.

PatrickF

War Eagle
Apr 7, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
I really don't see any modification on that being worthwhile for MPG improvement. Your return on investment would easily be 10+ years, assuming she drives a ton of miles.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
plan on 13-14mpg no matter what you do.

Could throw a turbo on there.... mommymobile would beat all the other soccer mom's monivans.

2003Duramaxlb7

May 4, 2014
Pensacola,FL
Since I've been on this forum, I think its been the first time seeing someone say Black Bear tuning.. Justing with BB Tune'd my buddies old LBZ and that joker woke up...
Not sure with the 6.2's but im with everyone else, Im sure the mpg wont be the best..But it will be a nice ride either way with some get up and go power... I'd think you see a few mpg gains if ya did a tune and afew bolt ons.

ThebigGids

Jun 13, 2011
Bellingham, wa
I really don't see any modification on that being worthwhile for MPG improvement. Your return on investment would easily be 10+ years, assuming she drives a ton of miles.
well I already have a v2 so a tune would be cheap to get...

I'm not saying I want it to get great fuel mileage just want some extra hp and any improved mpg is a added benefit. If I was worried about fuel economy I would of got a Prius . Just was curious if people saw any improvement with simple mods

Mar 13, 2012
Bham, AL
My dad has the same Denali but a champagne color and I have driven it a few times with friends to concerts ect. And being full of people and 70-80 on the interstate averaging 17-18mpg. And still has a lot of get up. I love that truck.

As for upgrades, I can't help any there. The previous owner for my dads put a hydrogen system on. It will bump the mileage up a mile or two.

Interested to know of any good upgrades also.

ThebigGids

Jun 13, 2011
Bellingham, wa
Yeah it's a clean rig and really comfy. Love the ride of it. Also the rear DVD for the kids is soooo nice. Got 17.3mpg traveling at 70-80mph and hitting traffic a couple of times over 260miles. It's over all drive ability is very good I was impressed.

I will be letting us go through a few tanks and hand calculate the mileage. Then will be adding probably a tune first. Again go a month or so see mileage if it goes up then likely add a intake, do the same, exhaust, do the same, Ect. I'd like to see what parts added what mileage. Might even see what it puts down with an exhaust intake and tune. :thumb:

My only concern is the transmission. Has the 6L80 I believe? Some of the shifts seem to have a slight tie up or harsh shift. I'm not 100% sure if it's normal. I do know some gas automatic transmissions shift like this. It only does it at times, not always. Fluid looks good, so I'm not to worried. If something's wrong we will drive it t it breaks then fix it. Even after the repair costs I will still be 2-3k into it below book value.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
The 6l80 is a tough trans. It will handle that 6.2 all day long.

I agree, I had a Denali with exhaust, piggy back ecm and intake. It was a beast for a gasser, I used to run all over my buddies lly with a superchips when I had it. Trans never gave me issues, the transfer case did however...

Last edited:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Long tube headers, CAI, exhaust(optional) and tune will have that 6.2 running like a DMAX with 120hp tune

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Also a catch can for the PCV.

For what? Just because thats "the first thing" you do to a dmax doesnt mean same applies to a gasser. :) ;)

These engines dont even have EGR.....

And yes, leave the cats in too. I know, counter-intuitive right? The stock truck cats flow PLENTY.

Start with just a tune and exhaust. The 6.2's are monsters and even just a tune alone will really wake them up. My sister has a 2012 cc/sb half ton max-tow package (6.2, 9.5" rear axle, 3.73 gears) and the thing flat out scoots. Hers is stock tune, just a flowmaster exhaust. Sounds awesome.

And unlike a Dmax, nothing will ever break on it and automatically cost minimum $1000 to fix. :D :p:

Ben

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I have to agree with Ben on the cats, but I'd get rid of them anyways (if you do LT headers) just for the sound. 6.2s sound so wicked with catless lt headers, even thru the factory catback.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I have to agree with Ben on the cats, but I'd get rid of them anyways (if you do LT headers) just for the sound. 6.2s sound so wicked with catless lt headers, even thru the factory catback.
Yeah, but gas motors smell like ass without the cats. :baby:

I'd get a cat-back exhaust if you want the sound, but for the sake of the neighbors and anyone in a parking lot near you, leave the cats on.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Dumb questions.
We've got an 08 tahoe with the 5.3 and I'd like some more power being it's kind of a pooch. I'd like to get a tune for it.

Would the items for the 6.2 apply for the 5.3?
Is there any benefit to add headers & maganaflow exhaust but keeping the stock cats?
I've heard with AFM if you have an exhaust they sound really weird when it kicks in? That may only apply to straight piping it though.

Thanks,
Yellowchevy

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Stephanie and Kory at LA Tuning recommended Jessie@wait4me I have heard others on the board say Black Bear I am thinking lingenfelter pretty much king of LS power. That has been my thinking as far as LS tuning goes.