Girlfriends new ride

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Yeah, but gas motors smell like ass without the cats. :baby:

I'd get a cat-back exhaust if you want the sound, but for the sake of the neighbors and anyone in a parking lot near you, leave the cats on.

Grow a set:D

ThebigGids

Jun 13, 2011
Bellingham, wa
For what? Just because thats "the first thing" you do to a dmax doesnt mean same applies to a gasser. :) ;)

These engines dont even have EGR.....

And yes, leave the cats in too. I know, counter-intuitive right? The stock truck cats flow PLENTY.

Start with just a tune and exhaust. The 6.2's are monsters and even just a tune alone will really wake them up. My sister has a 2012 cc/sb half ton max-tow package (6.2, 9.5" rear axle, 3.73 gears) and the thing flat out scoots. Hers is stock tune, just a flowmaster exhaust. Sounds awesome.

And unlike a Dmax, nothing will ever break on it and automatically cost minimum $1000 to fix. :D :p:

Ben
correct they don't have EGRs but after seeing the gunk that the pcv dumps into the intake by what others have caught in just one oil change with their catch cans. I believe it should benefit from it.

This is supposedly what a guy caught in just 3,000 miles. I don't know anyone who wants that going into your motor.

Thanks for all the info though guys. Seems like just the air raid Jr does almost as good as a full intake. Now you all got me having trouble deciding what tuner also ahh!

33ju4jt.jpg

Last edited:

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
Good luck with it....I have a 2007 Denali XL and the truck never ran right...Ate a nav unit and motor mount about 6 months ago and I never broke 11 mpg no matter how I drove it...112K miles and I'm using it to teach my kids how to drive.

The Bilsteins are the best way to go for shocks....the Auto rides suck...for me anyway..

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Anyone here who thinks ANY LS engine sounds good withnits cats off need their hearing checked.

If u like glasspacks then u may like. The ls is super raspy sounding and without the resonation from the cats it will pop and sputter and back fire.

Our 4.8 lost its cats when we did the polish 243's and ls6 cam and valve train my god it was loud and on ever shift it back fired like a shot gun.

The stock cats flow huge amounts of air, these arent the ame cats that were on 80-late 90's vehicles.

Best mod we did was the lsxt intake from fast. We found a used one on ebay it made a huge difference but it then found its way on a 5.3 truck and we ran the ls6 intake. Moved the powerband higher and tq was down but the 4.& is meant to scream.

Lingenfelter does have some reasonable priced stuff for the 6.2 max engines

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Good luck with it....I have a 2007 Denali XL and the truck never ran right...Ate a nav unit and motor mount about 6 months ago and I never broke 11 mpg no matter how I drove it...112K miles and I'm using it to teach my kids how to drive.

The Bilsteins are the best way to go for shocks....the Auto rides suck...for me anyway..

Sorry for your luck, but i assure you because your is a piece of shit doesnt mean all denalis are... I dint know what issues you had with autoride, but all of dads escalades had it and we never had an issue in over 500k combined miles. I mean yeah if you go and autocross it the autoride would suck i guess...

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
What do you exactly mean by it never ran right? What have you had to replace?

The biggest issue was tuning. The truck never got out of it's own way. Engine ran great but the tranny was horrible. My wife hated it because it was so sluggish. Granted, I never tuned it, and it is my fault so far, but I have tuned other GM gas motors and it seemed that no amount of tuning would have helped this thing. Tuning the trans was also off the shelf due to the TCM actually being in the trans. Other than the nav, motor mount, now failing trans, water logged headlight(twice replaced), broken lumbar in the seat, and the Autoride shocks(replaced once), it's been a decent vehicle.

I might have come off being a ***** and I'm sorry that I ranted about it, but it's a sore subject with me seeing my LBZ has been flawless.

I'm sure you got a good one, especially if you drove it and are happy with it. And I really wish you the best of luck with it. I really don't mean to rain on your parade...

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
Sorry for your luck, but i assure you because your is a piece of shit doesnt mean all denalis are... I dint know what issues you had with autoride, but all of dads escalades had it and we never had an issue in over 500k combined miles. I mean yeah if you go and autocross it the autoride would suck i guess...

I agree that not all Denalis are and I hope I didn't come off that way. Just ranted a little...

As far as the Autoride, I had the rear shocks replaced once already and although they aren't leaking and load level when they are supposed to, the rear of the truck bounces up and down like a pogo stick..Like the shocks arent even there....The Bilstein kit that replaces the Autoride might be the next step.....

disposablehero

used soldier
Mar 29, 2014
They are OK. Opening up the exhaust and intake matched with a bb tune will help but don't expect too much. More than likely you will eat up your MPG gains with cost of premium fuel if you bump the octane level. They are good engines though. Will last forever. Only issue I've dealt with was a coolant hose dealing with the heater that broke and overheated the thing. But that could happen to any car at any time.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Anyone here who thinks ANY LS engine sounds good withnits cats off need their hearing checked.

If u like glasspacks then u may like. The ls is super raspy sounding and without the resonation from the cats it will pop and sputter and back fire.

Our 4.8 lost its cats when we did the polish 243's and ls6 cam and valve train my god it was loud and on ever shift it back fired like a shot gun.

The stock cats flow huge amounts of air, these arent the ame cats that were on 80-late 90's vehicles.

Best mod we did was the lsxt intake from fast. We found a used one on ebay it made a huge difference but it then found its way on a 5.3 truck and we ran the ls6 intake. Moved the powerband higher and tq was down but the 4.& is meant to scream.

Lingenfelter does have some reasonable priced stuff for the 6.2 max engines

I said with LONG TUBE CATLESS HEADERS. Every badass LS truck or car you see on YouTube more than likely(99.9%) has no cats. Cats (or bullet mufflers) really tame the sound of a hot motor too much. Besides have you ever heard a 6.2 with catless headers and a STOCK catback??? They aren't raspy or poppy at all!! Why would anyone WASTE money on a catback with factory manifolds???? You won't pick up any performance at all. So why not pick up some performance and sound with a set of ARH long tubes coupled to the factory catback??

If you want to sound like everybody else and actually DECREASE the flow of your exhaust system, by all means throw a flow master muffler on there.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Ok, lord this thread lol. You need to run premium in a 6.2 regardless if it's tuned or not. There are high octane spark tables and low octane spark tables. You guys getting 11mpg, well if your putting 87 in it, then there's your problem.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I agree that not all Denalis are and I hope I didn't come off that way. Just ranted a little...

As far as the Autoride, I had the rear shocks replaced once already and although they aren't leaking and load level when they are supposed to, the rear of the truck bounces up and down like a pogo stick..Like the shocks arent even there....The Bilstein kit that replaces the Autoride might be the next step.....

Idk, maybe early build problems..

My dads 2010 tahoe has 125k on it and never had one single problem with ANYTHING on the entire vehicle, Autoride included.

Yeah its a 5.3 with 3.08's so no, its not quick or fun to drive unless you floor it or keep it in tow/haul all the time. WOT it accelerates ok.

Trans shifts perfectly and I have no complaints about the tuning, engine or trans. Other than its lazy/slow, but what do you expect.

My buddy had an 07 Escalade for a while and never had one problem with it (no autoride problems). I think he sold it at like 80k miles, just because his daily commute was 100 miles and it was silly to expect anything over 14mpg out of it. Ran awesome though, especially after he tuned it.

Off the top of my head I personally know of a dozen or so autoride equipped GMT-800/900 SUV's with 150k+ miles on them, zero issues.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
correct they don't have EGRs but after seeing the gunk that the pcv dumps into the intake by what others have caught in just one oil change with their catch cans. I believe it should benefit from it.

This is supposedly what a guy caught in just 3,000 miles. I don't know anyone who wants that going into your motor.

Thanks for all the info though guys. Seems like just the air raid Jr does almost as good as a full intake. Now you all got me having trouble deciding what tuner also ahh!

33ju4jt.jpg

Yeah thats probably from a bad PCV valve.

I have an 03 5.3 tahoe with almost 300k miles on it and Ive never touched a single thing on the engine. OK I replaced the spark plugs ONCE and did a water pump, but thats it. Runs like new. Totally stock.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I did miss the lt headers. I have only run them on old scholl small blocks i ran shortys on the 4.8 catless with no muffler. It was horrid to drive, if you went foot to the floor it sounded great but daily driving was terrible resonation and raspy pops on the shift killed me. Ended up going to magna flow compact 3" in 3"out cat with 8" resonator behind that now it sounds good, but all the fun parts are off it.

disposablehero

used soldier
Mar 29, 2014
I've always been a fan of magnaflow mufflers on ls motors. I did use the resonator from an 06 GTO on my old 6.0 truck. Was really loud. Had it dumped behind the axle. But I didn't enjoy it. Especially with a trailer on the hitch. Honestly on a luxury ride I would keep it semi subtle if possible. I know us men want the loudest meanest thing on the road but I'd tone a ride like that down.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
That's why I said, headers with the factory catback. Performance plus a little sound, that's win win.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Kind of shorty headers arent worth your time imo. I have tried jba, and hooker ceramic the fit was great but i really dont think it gained much. Long tubes i have yet to try but i may bring the 4.8 back in garage and work it this winter. I do an lq4 sitting in the garage.

Either way anything with an LS has tons of potential for power and economy