Fuelab frustration's!!!

Josh@Fuelab

Jul 24, 2014
Fair enough.

One thing worth noting when you do the install is that you'll want to remove the 8psi spring that's currently in your pump and replace it with a much heavier spring. Our add-on regulators come with a replacement lockout spring to do this. If you just try to put a regulator after the pump and leave the 8psi spring as-is in the manifold, the system will never build any more pressure than what it would without the add-on regulator. This is because the return in the manifold will start bypassing fuel just as it always would, regardless of how high you try to turn the regulator up. The lockout spring keeps the relief from opening under a normal pressure range, but will still allow it to open before pump damage can occur. If memory serves, the lockout spring that is supplied with the 50101 and 50102 is roughly 60psi. I figured I would pass this along because I didn't want you to think there was something wrong with your regulator or our pump if you couldn't get the pressure where you wanted it.

mechman3

no such thing as too fast
Jan 7, 2015
Saratoga Springs, Utah
IMHO this is exactly the kind of customer service that equates to a general overall degredation in reputation. Hiding behind the distributor or "this is not normal" just alienates the consumer. The best thing to do is contact a distributor. Arm him with the info he needs. Put him in touch with the consumer and be done. Instead this ends up as a uch bigger deal than it needs to in forums. Cold have been 2 phone calls and done. Instead Fuelabs just got a blackeye for customer no service. No high road there just hiding.

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance
Some companies don't understand the importance of satisfying a dispute openly in a forum. Say for an example I was looking for a pump and was debating between fass or fuelab. I type in fuelab pump and this pops up. Well boom. There's my decision. Over something that cost less then a dollar.

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
Even if you do not deal direct to the public, taking this long to get a simple spring set up into someones system is a joke!! Maybe fuellabs needs to talk to some of the distributors about the swiftness of parts purchases...

Josh@Fuelab

Jul 24, 2014
So zak cant buy a $1 spring but can buy a $100+ reg with a 60psi spring.Thats just dirty!

That's not at all how this is going. We aren't selling anything direct. I never said that I couldn't sell him a spring, but I could sell him a regulator. I was simply passing on information about how the fuel system works.

We cannot be held responsible for how any of the companies that sell our products add parts to their system- I can't change their processes (big places like Summit or the local speed shop). If FASS and AD sell direct, it makes sense that the parts can be purchased through their website. We sell through distributors only, therefore we do not have any kind of e-commerce system set up on our website/in-house. Vendors are given a parts/price list for complete products as well as standard maintenance replacement parts. Anything outside of that, they have to contact us to add it to their system.

I am all for settling things on a public forum. However, I know what the emails to the owner of the company said and I also know this will turn into a he said/she said type of thing, where nothing will get resolved and there's just a bunch of mud slinging. It's already turning into that with several people joining in on the thread. I've offered to contact whoever he was dealing with at Summit to get the ball rolling, but he's decided to go a different route. Again, I'd be more than happy to contact the guy/girl at Summit if he'd like. I know people search forums and find threads similar to this quite frequently (our brand and others). My hope is that most people understand what is actually happening and think for themselves.

Last edited:

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
It's just amazing that you're unwilling to simply play the hero and send him a $1 spring. You've already invested more time in avoiding helping him than you could have by sending him a spring.

Josh@Fuelab

Jul 24, 2014
Send me an address via PM, and I'll drop a spring in the mail on my way home.

Something to keep in mind is that you generally get better results when you approach things in a mature/professional manner. Making random threats (not physical, obviously) via email, when you're not getting the service you want from another supplier (apparently Summit in this case), doesn't normally get you replacement parts free of charge, from a company that wasn't at fault in the first place.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
That's not at all how this is going. We aren't selling anything direct. I never said that I couldn't sell him a spring, but I could sell him a regulator. I was simply passing on information about how the fuel system works.

We cannot be held responsible for how any of the companies that sell our products add parts to their system- I can't change their processes (big places like Summit or the local speed shop). If FASS and AD sell direct, it makes sense that the parts can be purchased through their website. We sell through distributors only, therefore we do not have any kind of e-commerce system set up on our website/in-house. Vendors are given a parts/price list for complete products as well as standard maintenance replacement parts. Anything outside of that, they have to contact us to add it to their system.

I am all for settling things on a public forum. However, I know what the emails to the owner of the company said and I also know this will turn into a he said/she said type of thing, where nothing will get resolved and there's just a bunch of mud slinging. It's already turning into that with several people joining in on the thread. I've offered to contact whoever he was dealing with at Summit to get the ball rolling, but he's decided to go a different route. Again, I'd be more than happy to contact the guy/girl at Summit if he'd like. I know people search forums and find threads similar to this quite frequently (our brand and others). My hope is that most people understand what is actually happening and think for themselves.

I would be annoyed as well, if all I wanted was a 2 cent spring to get your pump to work... I think we all realize that he bought the wrong pump but every other pump manufacture offers replacement springs as they realize applications and requirements change.

The "high road" would have been to just give him a spring and everyone is happy... & don't tell me that your distributors are going to be angry because you gave away a 2 cent spring that isn't even listed... Instead you/Fuelab turned this into a giant negative.

Edit: I see you came to your senses... damage done.

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance

Something to keep in mind is that you generally get better results when you approach things in a mature/professional manner. Making random threats (not physical, obviously) via email, when you're not getting the service you want from another supplier (apparently Summit in this case), doesn't normally get you replacement parts free of charge, from a company that wasn't at fault in the first place.

:thumb:

mechman3

no such thing as too fast
Jan 7, 2015
Saratoga Springs, Utah

This is how this should have been handled from the get go. I also agree with your follow up comment. There is enough indication that Fuelab's policies need to be reviewed to prevent further threads of this nature from occurring in the first place.

Having said that kudos on doing the right thing.:thumb:

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota

I never asked for ANYTHING for free and don't WANT it for free!

If you concider me saying "I will not be buying any of your products anymore if this is how hard it is to buy replacement parts for your product is"

Than I guess I'm guilty.

I have already ordered a bypass regulator today and no longer need the spring.

I would have rather bought a $3.00 spring than a $150 regulator plus fittings and fuel line.

I appreciate the offer to send me the spring, but its a little late!

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Between seeing the mounting issues a couple months ago and now this makes me wonder if companies know how much of a impact members on here make in the diesel world. These are the guys at the track, dynos and sled pulls representing the duramax crowd. Others pay close attention to what guys are running for lift pumps. You would think with a newer product out a company would try to make sure there products and support are up to par. But obviously Fuelabs are to big for this to matter. Seeing these responses at pointing the finger at distributers is a joke. I will stick with fass and airdog where I can call direct and get parts. Not to mention a LIFETIME warranty.