fuel cell and sending unit wiring

NAFLASH

Aug 22, 2010
I literally just swapped a sending unit in my truck. It is ohms. Voltage in the fuel tank?

I'd like to see a screen shot of these voltage tables. Not saying y'all are lying but it just sounds crazy.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I literally just swapped a sending unit in my truck. It is ohms. Voltage in the fuel tank?

I'd like to see a screen shot of these voltage tables. Not saying y'all are lying but it just sounds crazy.

Just as many sensors work, the sending unit applies different resistance to the 5 volt reference signal depending on how full the tank is. The computer then sees different voltages based on the tank level. The problem is the sending unit in this fuel cell is 0-90 ohms, so with stock tuning we're barely on the map with the new unit and a full tank.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Correct, the computer is comparing the return voltage off the 5V reference signal. As the resistance (ohms) varies, the voltage the computer sees varies.

You need to hook up your V2, and log the fuel sender voltage PID. Look at what the ECU is reading for voltage.

I rescaled mine to be more accurate using the same technique. Start with an empty tank. Record the voltage. Add 1 gal, wait for the fuel to stop sloshing (might not apply to a fuel cell). Record the voltage. Repeat until full.

Once you have a nice chart of voltage to fuel level, then you copy those into your ECU table. Use the linear interpolation tool between the data points, and you are done!

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
Thanks for all the tips guys. Do you think I have it wired properly though ?? Does the black just get grounded and the purple go to the signal terminal on top of the sending unit???

Correct, the computer is comparing the return voltage off the 5V reference signal. As the resistance (ohms) varies, the voltage the computer sees varies.

You need to hook up your V2, and log the fuel sender voltage PID. Look at what the ECU is reading for voltage.

I rescaled mine to be more accurate using the same technique. Start with an empty tank. Record the voltage. Add 1 gal, wait for the fuel to stop sloshing (might not apply to a fuel cell). Record the voltage. Repeat until full.

Once you have a nice chart of voltage to fuel level, then you copy those into your ECU table. Use the linear interpolation tool between the data points, and you are done!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Thanks for all the tips guys. Do you think I have it wired properly though ?? Does the black just get grounded and the purple go to the signal terminal on top of the sending unit???
The black is a low reference signal. It is ground, but should be a separate signal back to the ECU. It should connect to the sending unit case/housing. The purple does go to the terminal on the sending unit.
FIGURE Gages, Vehicle Speed Signal, Engine Oil Pressure, and Fuel Level Sensors(c).jpg
If you just ground the black wire somewhere, it will cause your fuel level reading to be erratic, or not work at all. The black wire MUST connect to the other side of the fuel level sensor. This is usually the metal mount plate on most aftermarket sensors.

Attachments

• FIGURE Gages, Vehicle Speed Signal, Engine Oil Pressure, and Fuel Level Sensors(c).jpg
    FIGURE Gages, Vehicle Speed Signal, Engine Oil Pressure, and Fuel Level Sensors(c).jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 24

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
The black is a low reference signal. It is ground, but should be a separate signal back to the ECU. It should connect to the sending unit case/housing. The purple does go to the terminal on the sending unit.
View attachment 33237
If you just ground the black wire somewhere, it will cause your fuel level reading to be erratic, or not work at all. The black wire MUST connect to the other side of the fuel level sensor. This is usually the metal mount plate on most aftermarket sensors.

Ok so the spade connector on the attached to the sending unit housing directly is correct. Thanks