front locker for drag racing ?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i have been thinking of getting an e-locker for the front end for the strip, i have some other uses for it might due a few pulls next year and it helps if you ever get stuck as well, but wanted to hear how well the work at the strip from guys using them i know there are a few people out there tell me what you think will be ordering a replacement for the rear soon and might do both at the same time .

IBDMAX'IN

Aug 27, 2008
i have been thinking of getting an e-locker for the front end for the strip, i have some other uses for it might due a few pulls next year and it helps if you ever get stuck as well, but wanted to hear how well the work at the strip from guys using them i know there are a few people out there tell me what you think will be ordering a replacement for the rear soon and might do both at the same time .

I don't run a locker in mine, but I will tell you that I've driven a couple of trucks that have, and I would be extremely careful because with the front end locked up, turning the steering wheel is almost not an option. Just something I would be scared of if I needed to make a fast correction.

But there are a couple of guys that have had some luck with getting better traction, but I would like to see one correct the vehicle when it's pointing towards the wall :(.

Just my .02

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
A gearless locker would work well in this application. Just need to convince Detroit to make one big enough to handle 1000lb's + of torque!!

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
i run the E locker in the front of mine at the track. It works great. I was having problems spinning the driverside front when lauching but the e locker fixed that. It launches nice and straight. I cut 1.68-1.70 60's with stock size cooper 245's

IBDMAX'IN

Aug 27, 2008
i run the E locker in the front of mine at the track. It works great. I was having problems spinning the driverside front when lauching but the e locker fixed that. It launches nice and straight. I cut 1.68-1.70 60's with stock size cooper 245's

Outside of launching straight, how is it to turn when it's locked?

IBDMAX'IN

Aug 27, 2008
Almost impossible on pavement, even if your moving, hell even on dirt its really hard.

Rob

My point exactly, I'm not saying that a locker won't improve traction, but I think it's comming with a pretty big safety cost if something does happen, and trust me, 99% of safety equipment is added not because you plan on something going wrong, but for the 1 time out of 1000 that S**t happens.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
definatly some good things to consider was not aware that the steering would be so stiff new it would be tight but not so tight i could not correct if things got squirlly , thanks for the heads up wade and all others input , still welcome more opinions as i am still considering , even if i only use it when i pull if its doesnt pan out for use at the strip . has any one else had negative experience using front lockers at the strip ?

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
You cant turn sharp when its locked but you can correct it. When im racing i can turn the wheel and make small adjustments. Ive never had any problems lauching with it even if i launch with to much boost and it spins. As soon as you turn the locker off it almost disengages instantly. I run and when i cross the 1/4 i turn off 4wd and the locker and i can make the turn at the end with no problem. i mounted my switch next to the airbag switch.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Ive used mine at the strip, it defenately launches straight, and feels better when you launch, but it seems like on mine, i have to get completely straight with the line before i lock it in, which can be a pain when im trying to go around the bleach box, my truck doesnt seem to want to hardly turn at all when its locked.

Rob

Drholliday

May 28, 2008
Gresham, OR
I don't runa locker, but one of my buddies does. We did some tire swapping between the trucks and he ran with and without the locker and still cut the same 60ft times. I still cut 1.68- 1.74 60fts without a locker.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I don't runa locker, but one of my buddies does. We did some tire swapping between the trucks and he ran with and without the locker and still cut the same 60ft times. I still cut 1.68- 1.74 60fts without a locker.

if you ever ran at my track you would understand why traction is such a issue . this is quoted by idaho rob " its the worst prepped track i have ever ran on " right now best 60 to date is 1.84 thats on toyo proxes 30 psi fr 26 psi rr and many diff boost amounts tried , cant get traction ? for next year i have caltracs , a new rear locker for sure mine is blown out , and might ad the front anyway even if its only used for pulling and a custom adjustable droop stop for the upper control arms to keep the front from lifting . any other ideas for traction welcome .

on edit : the 1055 converter should help other times were with the 1054 as well as the feed pipes i might be able to leave at a lower psi and not fall under
the charger , the difference in how it spools now is amazing .

Last edited:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I have a locker in the front and am the buddy that Chris was talking about. On most tracks I don't lock it in anymore - I only lock it if I have a problem with traction. If I had more power, traction would probably be more of an issue and I would use it more. Winston, myself, and Ed Wayne have never had a problem correcting with the locker engaged - we all stop, unlock, back up a couple feet, then turn off the track. Helps with pulling and racing so I vote you do it - if you don't like the way it handles or works on the track don't push the button.

Zero: are you stopping before you unlock the E-locker? You are not supposed to lock or un-lock it while you are moving because you can shear off the pins that lock in.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Zero: are you stopping before you unlock the E-locker? You are not supposed to lock or un-lock it while you are moving because you can shear off the pins that lock in.

Ive never heard this, i installed mine myself and im not sure what pins it can shear.:confused: But with the relay wired in it doesnt lock in as soon as you push the button, so what do you do? Sit still and turn you wheels for a few seconds until you know its locked?

Rob

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I have a locker in the front and am the buddy that Chris was talking about. On most tracks I don't lock it in anymore - I only lock it if I have a problem with traction. If I had more power, traction would probably be more of an issue and I would use it more. Winston, myself, and Ed Wayne have never had a problem correcting with the locker engaged - we all stop, unlock, back up a couple feet, then turn off the track. Helps with pulling and racing so I vote you do it - if you don't like the way it handles or works on the track don't push the button.

WARNING! - Only engage the Eaton ELocker™ differential while the vehicle is stationary or operating at speeds of 3 mph or less with minimal wheel slippage. Engaging the Eaton ELocker™ while the wheel is spinning at a high rate or the vehicle is moving at more that 3 mph may damage the differential’s engagement pins or lock collar will be considered improper or abnormal use voiding the warranty. Eaton will reject warranty claims if the returned Eaton ELocker™ has engagement pins or lock collars damaged by operation contrary to this warning.
Differential engagement should be deactivated after the difficult terrain is overcome. It is not recommended to deactivate the Eaton ELocker™ differential while the drivetrain has load or bind on it, such as under cornering. When the drivetrain is loaded, the Eaton ELocker™ differential may not immediately disengage, resulting in a locked differential when it is not
desired.
Differential engagement should not be maintained at high speeds (greater than 20 mph). A locked differential at higher speeds can cause undesirable vehicle behavior or loss of vehicle control. The Eaton ELocker™ differential may be deactivated via the switch while the vehicle is in motion.

It says to lock it at under 3 MPH but it doesnt have a max speed on when to unlock it. Just says you should no go over 20MPH because you cant steer.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
It is not recommended to deactivate the Eaton ELocker™ differential while the drivetrain has load or bind on it, such as under cornering. When the drivetrain is loaded, the Eaton ELocker™ differential may not immediately disengage, resulting in a locked differential when it is not desired.

I was going off the underlined part - in T/H mode the truck downshifting keeps a load on the drivetrain. To be safe I just wait until I am stopped at the end of the track, then I back up a couple feet to be sure it's disengaged - I've had the front end bind before but now that I back up it never binds.

I get straightened out after the water box, lock in T/H, 4WD and the locker - then I back up a few feet before rolling up to the line - just to be sure everything is engaged. I'm not saying that all that is neccesary but I do it all just to be sure everything is ready to go.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I was going off the underlined part - in T/H mode the truck downshifting keeps a load on the drivetrain. To be safe I just wait until I am stopped at the end of the track, then I back up a couple feet to be sure it's disengaged - I've had the front end bind before but now that I back up it never binds.

I get straightened out after the water box, lock in T/H, 4WD and the locker - then I back up a few feet before rolling up to the line - just to be sure everything is engaged. I'm not saying that all that is neccesary but I do it all just to be sure everything is ready to go.

What i do it take it out of 4WD first then there is no load on the front end when you are disengaging the elocker.

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il

and i am sure you drive 55 mph like your told to do right!:rolleyes: please tell me how it would shear when unlocking!(on an elocker) regardless of it unlocking, if your that worried about it, just take the truck out of 4x, that will defeat the locker.

i recommend using the locker racing! sure you cant steer when your not moving fast and want to turn hard. when going down the track you will be surprised at how much you can actually turn the truck. to me, not an issue....you can assume all you want. after i installed my a5k charger, i had to use it in order to see the same 60' times. when using the front locker and a5k, it lowered my 60' times, and made it easier to see lower 60' times. i think i averaged under 1.70 doing that to.