front locker for drag racing ?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
What about rear locker, and a tru-trak in the front?

i thought about other options on the front like a tru track the cost is alot better than a e-locker, but dont know what to expect out of driveability the tru trac is a torsen style so it should open up for cornering , i like this idea anybody have any thoughts on what to expect and if the trutrac is avalible for a 9.25 i'm almost posative it is . anyone use one on the front end of there truck racing , offroading, any experience welcome .

on edit: i think i remember some guys saying the front end would heat up but dont known why it would everything is spinning all the time anyways but just a thought .

Last edited:

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Can't launch and unlock these things on the fly after it hooks huh? Will not unlock under power?

mine wont unlock when there is a load on it. And it wont unlock if i let off the gas and leave it in 4wd. I have to take the truck out of 4wd to take the load off the front end then i can unlock the e locker with no trouble.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
i thought about other options on the front like a tru track the cost is alot better than a e-locker, but dont know what to expect out of driveability the tru trac is a torsen style so it should open up for cornering , i like this idea anybody have any thoughts on what to expect and if the trutrac is avalible for a 9.25 i'm almost posative it is . anyone use one on the front end of they're truck racing , offroading, any experience welcome .

on edit: i think i remember some guys saying the front end would heat up but dont known why it would everything is spinning all the time anyways but just a thought .

On my rover the front is a tru trak and rear is fully locked. I dont do much daily driving per say, but running thru city streets while wheeling like in Moab it seems to corner fine, does real well wheeling.

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il
imo, with a tru trac, as soon as it tries to lock up it will take out cv's with the extra torque it applies on lock up. the seem to hold just fine when everything is already locked up. i have taken out a rear stock axle shaft when my stock locker was on its way out. it was trying to lock up in the middle of a pull. couldnt handle the extra torque

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
imo, with a tru trac, as soon as it tries to lock up it will take out cv's with the extra torque it applies on lock up. the seem to hold just fine when everything is already locked up. i have taken out a rear stock axle shaft when my stock locker was on its way out. it was trying to lock up in the middle of a pull. couldnt handle the extra torque

i could just be thinking out loud but wouldnt everything be locked up and preloaded when staging ( boosted launch ) ? or would 1 wheel have to start slipping for the power to be transfered ? all i have read on torsen style lockers state to lock the diff drag the brakes while on the throttle but not sure if that aplies only when a tires is off the ground or on ice ( no resistance ).

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Keep in mind that whatever you put in the front in the way of a locker, with the exception of e locker or arb, will keep your ring and pinion and front drive shaft spinning all the time 4wd or not. Fuel mileage goes out the window and you gain the vibration from the front drive shaft at all times. When you kick out the 4x the right axle unlocks and starts to slow and the locking mechanism thinks the left tire is spinning and automatically causes it to lock right back up.
Then you might try to lock it in on snowy or icey road or dry pavement for that matter one time and if you don't crash it I bet you think twice before you use it at over 20 mph or on pavement again. ;):D

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Keep in mind that whatever you put in the front in the way of a locker, with the exception of e locker or arb, will keep your ring and pinion and front drive shaft spinning all the time 4wd or not. Fuel mileage goes out the window and you gain the vibration from the front drive shaft at all times. When you kick out the 4x the right axle unlocks and starts to slow and the locking mechanism thinks the left tire is spinning and automatically causes it to lock right back up.
Then you might try to lock it in on snowy or icey road or dry pavement for that matter one time and if you don't crash it I bet you think twice before you use it at over 20 mph or on pavement again. ;):D

thats good to know thats why its up for discusion so we can learn from what others have tried without having to by the parts and find out the hard way , so at this piont the e-locker is still looking like the best choice, unless there are other experiences with the tru-trac .

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
bump ... see if there are any thoughts after a while about this ? i am still looking at them . need to see if its needed after all my other mods . if they arent enough i may try one .

ChevyTruckGuy78

Twins done Now for trans
Feb 7, 2010
Ct.
thats good to know thats why its up for discusion so we can learn from what others have tried without having to by the parts and find out the hard way , so at this piont the e-locker is still looking like the best choice, unless there are other experiences with the tru-trac .

i would go with the elocker. i agree that the tru-trac would keep everythign spinning when not wanted to be. i see problems happenin down the road from use of a tru trac in the front end. jmo

ku 808

Sep 6, 2010
Here in Hawaii we do alot of wheeling I've had my toy break the tru trac in the front twice under heavy pounding trying to get unstuck thats with 5.29 gears 33 boggers and about if lucky 95 hp thay cant handle the power I tryed the cheap route in the end went back with detroit

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I have never tried my elocker at the track. Been to scared. It would have helped a ton wed night though. My first pass was a spinning 1.67 60 foot time. My friend thought I was going to hit the wall. I think stingpuller had tried his ARB a few times

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Locker

It never really helped like I thought it would. I will tell you that if it spins with one the chances are you're going to break a axle. The only time I have broke a driveline part was with the locker. I broke a half shaft and every since I took it out I have not broken anything. Now if your pulling or off roading they are a must have item. Jeff

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
You will be fine with a puller/DD. A E-locker or ARB will feel just like stock unless you flip the switch and put it in 4 wheel drive

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have Stingpuller's ARB in the front of mine. I never know it's there on the street.