From lifted to lowered

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Anyone who thinks a truck with a lift tows anything better than the same truck with de-cranked torsion bars and drop shackles is crazy. I have driven my share of lifted trucks, and 95% of them suck to drive without a trailer. I wouldn't even want to try to herd one down the road with any kind of weight on the back of it. My truck tows just as good as stock, if not better.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
I run timbrens on all our work trucks. Have to. Trucks run alot on highways and the factory joynce dont carry it well. And salter issues would be hight of truck. Couple of ours run below Bumper. Being lower might cause issues with hang ups on enterences and ramps. No clue because ours are not lowered. And the power wing is used on residential and commercial.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
And ive never owned a lifted truck that had bars cranked. I always buy a bigger lift, run it on lowest setting with bars down. But i was more talkin stock height anyways. But i did own a 01 with 12in lift, 38s and pulled all my trailers with it 100s of times. Did just fine but i prefer stock to 4in lift height.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
And ive never owned a lifted truck that had bars cranked. I always buy a bigger lift, run it on lowest setting with bars down. But i was more talkin stock height anyways. But i did own a 01 with 12in lift, 38s and pulled all my trailers with it 100s of times. Did just fine but i prefer stock to 4in lift height.
I didn't say a lift with cranked torsion bars. I said a lifted truck vs the same truck with de-cranked torsion bars (as in lowered the front via the torsion bar adjuster bolts) and drop shackles. This is the exact setup I run on my truck, and I have towed both bumper pull and goose neck trailers without a hiccup. I'm not sure why you are claiming my truck is a car :confused:

duramax05blk

Mar 16, 2012
How much do shackles truly drop the rear maybe two'' deff not the 3'' advertised. Must have some serious entry and exit angles to worry about if thats a concern. To each his own. Not trying to start an argument just showing that the lowered rigs are just as capable. i would agree that drop keys or spindles would be crazy if even doable.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
I'm not sure why you are claiming my truck is a car :confused:
Not tryin to start an argument but where are u located? Texas? I will agree lowered trucks will pull trailers. Ive seen them do it. But how many times in the snow? How many times in the farmers fields? You can honestly say you're truck can hook up to my trailer with my s250 on it (12,500+lbs) counting trailer and drop it off at my jobsite on monday? We have 18+in on snow on ground. Good luck. I wanna see it. Thats where i say car like. Cause stock they do it. And lifted they do it. Least ours do everyday.
To each there own. Ill leave it be.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Not tryin to start an argument but where are u located? Texas? I will agree lowered trucks will pull trailers. Ive seen them do it. But how many times in the snow? How many times in the farmers fields? You can honestly say you're truck can hook up to my trailer with my s250 on it (12,500+lbs) counting trailer and drop it off at my jobsite on monday? We have 18+in on snow on ground. Good luck. I wanna see it. Thats where i say car like. Cause stock they do it. And lifted they do it. Least ours do everyday.
To each there own. Ill leave it be.
Do you want me to go hook up to my dad's 35' goose neck trailer and load up one of his JD 6420 tractors to prove I can tow it? I'm sorry we don't get 3' of snow a day up here, but I don't really see where extra ground clearance helps with driving in snow unless you're breaking trail on a non maintained mountain pass or something. I drive around in plenty of fields if my dad needs me to lend a hand with his hay business. It goes out there just fine too.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
I know u do. Seen some pics and vids of yours in the past. Like i said if u use your truck for plowing, or have to pull often in snow, drifts ect a higher truck will help. Thats all. Many times job sites are not plowed, have mud ect where a lowered truck would make it more difficult. Josh your gettin alittle worked up over nothing. Its just my opinion. Sorry bud.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Not knocking lifted trucks, I love the way they look its just not practical for me. But I will say my truck tows way better with the t bars lowered and 3" drop shackles. I only tow 10k and under so heavy weight may tell a different story but the way my truck is set up now it's way more stable and handles curves better loaded than it did at stock height. I also have spring clamps which helps in the corners, but I had them at stock height also.

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
actually, your front crossmember ground clearance will vary depending on how you lowered the front end. De-cranking t-bars will give you less clearance, lowering spindles will do the same. Your rear axle clearance wont change untill another section of body is lower than the lowest point of the diff

What your not taking into account is the loss of breakover angle you have now.

It all depends on how you lowered the truck to still be able to tow like stock. The same can be said for a lifted truck. You do it half ass and it wont tow a heavy load nicely.

I'm just saying that I have more clearance than a stock height truck and I am lowered.

Take a stock Dmax with 27" tires or whatever comes on them...I have a 2" drop and 34.5" tall tires. So, 34.5" -2" = 32.5". So, I still have approx. 5" more clearance than a stock truck would just because of my additional tire height.

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
Also, drop shackles don't mess with the factory hardware in any way...my truck will tow a trailer in the same manner a stock height truck would. Now if you were pulling leaves that is a different story.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Running a 4 or 6" lift on 35" tires with the bars decranked gives you no more ground clearance than levi or the other guys with no lift amd bars decranked with 35" tires under their rigs. Unless your lift does not lower the front diff the full 4-6".

The fact its being argued a lowered truck can not plow or drive in 18" of snow is just bs. Where there is a will, there is a way and done right it will work just fine. Levi has taken his truck through deeper snow than that without a problem for a week or more.

Its pretty mute to argue whats being argued over. All your arguing over is opinion on likes and that shit is just like politics

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Anyone that lifts or lowers there truck to the extreme will diminish the usefulness of their truck to an extent, but I don't see how anything I have done has lessened my ability to do anything I would do at stock height. I have towed trailers and I have driven around in fields with and without trailers. If you don't think what I did to my truck is for you, that's fine, but to claim my truck is useless now is a little offensive to me.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Anyone that lifts or lowers there truck to the extreme will diminish the usefulness of their truck to an extent, but I don't see how anything I have done has lessened my ability to do anything I would do at stock height. I have towed trailers and I have driven around in fields with and without trailers. If you don't think what I did to my truck is for you, that's fine, but to claim my truck is useless now is a little offensive to me.

I know your trucks not useless, it sure pulled that sled like nothin! Lol but I'm going to have to agree with josh. Going from 37's and 6" lift to 32.x with drop shackles the ride is way smoother with and without a load. I still have the lift on it but its lowered all the way down and I can just imagine how it would feel if I removed it completely and set it up like Josh's.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
How much do shackles truly drop the rear maybe two'' deff not the 3'' advertised. Must have some serious entry and exit angles to worry about if thats a concern. To each his own. Not trying to start an argument just showing that the lowered rigs are just as capable. i would agree that drop keys or spindles would be crazy if even doable.

My two inch drop shackles dropped it 2 1/4" actually.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Sure they weren't a 2 or 3" shackle? That seems to be normal for a 3" shackle where as a 2" on mine dropped it 1.5".

They were a two inch drop for sure. I measure after the drop and at the fender well 38.75" and before it measured 41". That was with the same tire/wheel combination.