From lifted to lowered

Briggs0130

Dec 7, 2010
Is the rear of the truck stock height or do you have lowering shackles on it? The torsion bars dropped all the way down? I like the look of a lifted truck, but I think it looks much better now!

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Is the rear of the truck stock height or do you have lowering shackles on it? The torsion bars dropped all the way down? I like the look of a lifted truck, but I think it looks much better now!

I have a two" drop shackle kit and am using the max cam adjustable keys. They are set at .75" drop and adjusted where the front is one" lower than the rear. Everything clears the 305-60-18 tires just fine.

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
Lowering is the current cool thing to do. Lifted used to be in but it's working it's way back out of style.
Truck looks great.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Lowering is far from the in or style here. Its more considered worthless. Maybe down south its more even but up here u couldn't pay me to make a dmax into a car. Wouldnt go so well in snow. Some look good lowered but its just not me.

duramax05blk

Mar 16, 2012
Same here in NH as far as attitude is concerned. but even with keys dropped and 3 inch shackles I go fine in the snow and I even plow commercially with the truck and make regular trips a mile plus into the woods through class 6 rads and trails just gotta use a little more caution. Boost launches are deff worth the caution heading up to deer camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Excuse my grammar the iPhone makes me iStupid!

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Can i ask what plow and tire combo u use with a lowered truck then? Cause i dont by it. Does it have a salter on the back? U obviously cant lift up over a curb and push snow back? Sorry for sounding like a dick, but i own a landscaping business and we do snow removal, lots of it, and some trucks we have stock height wont lift over curb. I just dont see a truck lowered working at all.

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
My truck is lowered just like the last 3 I have owned. They have all pulled trailers, been taken hunting, and continue to be used as a truck. They certainly aren't neutered just because they are a couple inches lower than stock.

Ground clearance is determined by tire size not by suspension lift. I'm running a 34.5" tall tire with t bars dropped all the way down and 2" rear drop shackles. It has more clearance than most trucks out there but the wheels/tires are in the wheel wells where they are supposed to be.

Last edited:

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
I understand tires and suspension. Why do u think i asked what tires the guy was running. Im tellin ya right now u wont fit a 33in tire on a dmax, lower it and run a plow. No way. I have 10 trucks sittin here now that i will love to have a bigger set on our work trucks, but the plows dont allow it, tires rub and wont turn without cuttin the shit out of it.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
I love the look of most lowered trucks. But they just are not logical. Anyone that says a lowered truck pulls a trailer good, doesnt do it often. I pull all day everyday. Put a s250-t300 on a trailer and let me know after a summer of doin so. Most trailers will be higher and pull like crap. U wont be able to pull into jobs without dragging or over curbs without hanging up. Go into a rock quarry with a lowered truck and see what happens.

Sorry not tryin to take away from the op thread. Im done. Trucks looks great forsure. Its just not what i would do to my own. Thats all.

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
It's been done.

I had a true 35x13.5 tire on a stock height classic body style with zero rubbing.

My LBZ has 275/65/20 (34.5" tall) on it right now and the torsion bar bolts are removed and 2" drop shackle in the rear with zero rubbing.:thumb:

DaveB

Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Indiana
It's been done.

I had a true 35x13.5 tire on a stock height classic body style with zero rubbing.

My LBZ has 275/65/20 (34.5" tall) on it right now and the torsion bar bolts are removed and 2" drop shackle in the rear with zero rubbing.:thumb:

What offset/backspace wheels are you running? A lot to be said for running a positive offset with bigger tires or being lowered.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
My truck is lowered just like the last 3 I have owned. They have all pulled trailers, been taken hunting, and continue to be used as a truck. They certainly aren't neutered just because they are a couple inches lower than stock.

Ground clearance is determined by tire size not by suspension lift. I'm running a 34.5" tall tire with t bars dropped all the way down and 2" rear drop shackles. It has more clearance than most trucks out there but the wheels/tires are in the wheel wells where they are supposed to be.

actually, your front crossmember ground clearance will vary depending on how you lowered the front end. De-cranking t-bars will give you less clearance, lowering spindles will do the same. Your rear axle clearance wont change untill another section of body is lower than the lowest point of the diff

What your not taking into account is the loss of breakover angle you have now.

I love the look of most lowered trucks. But they just are not logical. Anyone that says a lowered truck pulls a trailer good, doesnt do it often. I pull all day everyday. Put a s250-t300 on a trailer and let me know after a summer of doin so. Most trailers will be higher and pull like crap. U wont be able to pull into jobs without dragging or over curbs without hanging up. Go into a rock quarry with a lowered truck and see what happens.

Sorry not tryin to take away from the op thread. Im done. Trucks looks great forsure. Its just not what i would do to my own. Thats all.

It all depends on how you lowered the truck to still be able to tow like stock. The same can be said for a lifted truck. You do it half ass and it wont tow a heavy load nicely.

duramax05blk

Mar 16, 2012
Can i ask what plow and tire combo u use with a lowered truck then? Cause i dont by it. Does it have a salter on the back? U obviously cant lift up over a curb and push snow back? Sorry for sounding like a dick, but i own a landscaping business and we do snow removal, lots of it, and some trucks we have stock height wont lift over curb. I just dont see a truck lowered working at all.

I don't run a sander. I run an 8ft sno-way mt series plow was originally on my 99 sierra. I run 285 70 17 dune grapplers i will admit i need timbrens next season as i get a little rubbing with the plow on but not enough to inhibit functionality. Curbs are an issue for sure especially with the design on the plow mount compared to say a fisher. but i can push a snow banks back like a loader.
dmaxplow1_zps29c33968.jpg
[/IMG]
photo1_zps230af2b4.png
[/IMG]
photo_zps83299852.png
[/IMG]
I totally get the skepticism no believes me until they see it and i get alot of looks :thumb: and its hard to tell but the pics provided are of a recent storm over 12 inches and the edge was over the whips. it was for a buddy to get to his wood pile took alot of methodical swipes but was doable. sorry for the thread jack just wanna prove our lowered rigs are just as capable actually got stuck for 20 min + in same yard last season with leveling kit and no broken parts this year:D

Last edited:

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
So the tires rub, cant lift over a curb, and u dont run a salter but u say its just as capable? Guess i dont see it. And thats with a smaller plow even. All our trucks run 9.5 vplows and the plow that was on my truck in my sig was the blizzard 8611 power wing. Goes from 8.5-11ft4in and is 1100lbs of heavy and never once broke parts.
Your truck couldn't plow one route we have if u cant run a salter, which requires least 2500lbsto in bed and be able to lift over a curb.
Sorry op, im done stealing your thread.

duramax05blk

Mar 16, 2012
i Should add the truck has no bump stop at all currently. i didn't say i could not run a sander or lift over a curb because i have and do. i may not be able to go over a curb at 90 but that's just careless. If you are running v plows on a stock truck i feel like with bump stops or timbrens i would be fine. but honestly if your running a power wing at 11'4 your doing parking lots so clearance is not an issue would rather have better driveline angles. yes there heavy to move from site to site but with a timbren kit or similar is not gonna be any differance were still running the same suspension components mines just turned down a few inches. i just dont have a need or ability to run a sander airport restrictions. i dont see how a sander would have any effect? I still run factory rear springs?

Last edited: