free fuel here i come!!!!

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Sounds good Kyle! Nice blocker plate:D

Real hard to tell from that pic without a smidge more photo but looks like the KKK K26 turbo. Its smaller than the AiReaserch. The K26 is faster spooling , better low-mid range, city driving and the T3 is more laggy but better mid-hi range and pulls better at highway speeds;)

So, the K26 compound with somthin bigger than the T3 should make a sweet setup! Mine came with the T3 and i swapped in a K26 off my parts motor, plus its louder:rofl:

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
yea i saw that the other day. my buddy has the t3 on his. ahhh, you're really gonna make me twin it huh:cool:.

chevy_dmax

Apr 30, 2008
Gladstone, MO
Hey guys, I found a 83' 300sd....price is not too bad on it. The pic's are crappy that I have, interior appears real nice, and can't tell body wise what kind of rust I'd be dealing with. It has 250k on it. I think I'm going to swing over there this weekend and take a peek at it. I'm not sure what to look for. I am concerned something might be wrong with it. How are the transmissions (4 spd auto) in these? Anybody have a list of common problems to watch out for on these...any advice is appreciated.

Bill.

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
Hey guys, I found a 83' 300sd....price is not too bad on it. The pic's are crappy that I have, interior appears real nice, and can't tell body wise what kind of rust I'd be dealing with. It has 250k on it. I think I'm going to swing over there this weekend and take a peek at it. I'm not sure what to look for. I am concerned something might be wrong with it. How are the transmissions (4 spd auto) in these? Anybody have a list of common problems to watch out for on these...any advice is appreciated.

Bill.

check the rear lower control arms for rust, check all the windows and such, if it runs see if it shuts down right after you turn the key off, check for rot in the trunk, pull the valve cover vent and hold you finger over it with the car running to see how long it takes to shut off (this will tell you if the engine has alot of blowby)

negative camber front and back FTW!

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Common rust spots are also the rockers and jack points. The SD's have that big plastic trim on the sides, rust can hide under there. Now also about shut down. Since door locks and HVAC and engine controls are vaccum operated, if theres vac leaks it will cause things to not work, long time for the engine to shut off, etc. Nothing to terrible, sudt trace the leak and fix it if theres any. Make sure the tranny shifts smooth at all times, hard driving and soft. If its harsh, could have a vac leak. They can slip also but is nothing major to fix long as it has had reasonable care and not beat on or drove slipping for a long time. Overall, fairly tough trannys. As said, check blow-by, i just pull the oil cap to see but even a fair amount wouldnt frighten me, these babies are old now, mine chugs a to of blowby out but it still runs fine, the only real issue with being worn is winter cold starts but fresh glow plugs and a block heater and your fine. Even in the worst cold, with enough cranking and glowing the plugs, it will fire! Car in the world with the most miles is a Benz Diesel Taxi in Greece with like 4-5 million miles:eek:

If you have any isssues after you look at one, tell us what they are and ill do my best to help!

As always, peachparts.com has the best Benz forum around, a mega library of info on them! Even just browsr as a guest, garrentee youll find an awnser to any benz question youll have;)

Last edited:

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
holy crap 4-5 millionm miles!

oh yea i just ordered a set of those monarch nozzles!

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Amazing huh!

Im gonna order some too, time for fresh tips! Nothing makes a Benz run better than new nozzles, so I hear, and i belive too.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Knowing how Kyle mods his stuff....Prolly:D Would not surprise me to see it bagged too:rofl:

I plan on intercooling mine, problem is packaging one in there, tough squeeze on these babies and somthing has to be done to fit normal plumbing to these. Stock the turbo huffs right into the intake via a aluminum coupler with an o-ring at each end that slips in the I.D. of both turbo and intake. So you hafta basically weld a useable type of connection to both to add boost boots or v-bands to route plumbing and reclock the compressor housing. OR alot of guys use a naturally asperated OM617 intake from a W115 chassis car cause they have hose connection type ends. And the turbo W115's had no EGR so they had a much nicer turbo exhaust manifold. And if adapting the stock turbos sucks too much, well there T3 manifolds so easy to slap a newer better design turbo on there! The HOT ticket for these cars is a Garret VVT from a Jeep Liberty CRD or a Sprinter for the slightly bigger one (older non-electronic VVT Sprinters). IIRC the Liberty turbo is ball bearing too. These arnt direct bolt ups and require adaptors made and a vane control assembly made but not to terrible of a job. That setup is the cats meow on these, plenty of boost at any load or RPM:hug:

Warning: Dont crank the boost up too much in these suckers, cause IDI engines are already 21.5:1 Compression ratio and cant get real crazy cause of that or you might hurt it. Stock K26 efficiancy maxes out at 8-9psi and 11-12 for the T3. I wouldnt push more than 20 in these cars unless you do some work to it:hug:

chevy_dmax

Apr 30, 2008
Gladstone, MO

check the rear lower control arms for rust, check all the windows and such, if it runs see if it shuts down right after you turn the key off, check for rot in the trunk, pull the valve cover vent and hold you finger over it with the car running to see how long it takes to shut off (this will tell you if the engine has alot of blowby)

negative camber front and back FTW!

Common rust spots are also the rockers and jack points. The SD's have that big plastic trim on the sides, rust can hide under there. Now also about shut down. Since door locks and HVAC and engine controls are vaccum operated, if theres vac leaks it will cause things to not work, long time for the engine to shut off, etc. Nothing to terrible, sudt trace the leak and fix it if theres any. Make sure the tranny shifts smooth at all times, hard driving and soft. If its harsh, could have a vac leak. They can slip also but is nothing major to fix long as it has had reasonable care and not beat on or drove slipping for a long time. Overall, fairly tough trannys. As said, check blow-by, i just pull the oil cap to see but even a fair amount wouldnt frighten me, these babies are old now, mine chugs a to of blowby out but it still runs fine, the only real issue with being worn is winter cold starts but fresh glow plugs and a block heater and your fine. Even in the worst cold, with enough cranking and glowing the plugs, it will fire! Car in the world with the most miles is a Benz Diesel Taxi in Greece with like 4-5 million miles:eek:

If you have any isssues after you look at one, tell us what they are and ill do my best to help!

As always, peachparts.com has the best Benz forum around, a mega library of info on them! Even just browsr as a guest, garrentee youll find an awnser to any benz question youll have;)

Thanks for the replies, I drove by lot, that has to be the ugliest baby blue i've ever seen on a car.
Bill.

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
hood stack might be on the "just for fun list" i have an extra hood and some piping. but that will be a summer deal. i need a full exhaust to warm my fuel lines for my veggie.

i just got my nozzles today so hopefully i will get them in on saturday when i get my new return lines.

also i just need to adjust the valves and put my new tires on and she's ready to cruise. i straight piped the beast too!!

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
The Sprinter and Liberty turbos guys are using are mechanically controlled VVT's. They are using a vac/boost pods and throttle cable conection to control the vanes. I hear it works fantasticly too.

Now the later model Sprinter turbos are electronic but thats about all i know about them.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
lol post #25 over there lol.

Also most people like him don't seem to know any mods to a car/truck are not legal if you read the EPA crap.

They don't want you to even change the wheels on them or put non stock intakes and anything you can think of.

Last edited:

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
that guy is so freaking hard headed it's amazing.

"there is no difference in temps before and after the turbo" WOW!!

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
Well I just picked up a 85 300SD for 600.00 CAN it has a lot of km but not a lot of blowby and just needs a bit of TLC to get it where I want it as I will be running 75% used oil in it when it is ready.

I will post some photos on Sunday as it is dark now and I was cleaning it all out it is the same blue/blue as yours but my seats are not as bad as yours.

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Congrats! :D Welcome to "Club W126" :rofl: I would recomend working your % up from a smaller amount. Mine got cranky around 50% oil but needs fresh injector tips still.