LMM: Former GM tech. Lmm no power/stalls

Suny

May 1, 2011
Now working at an open pit gold mine. Unfortunately I don't have anything to read any DTCs. So I'm already F'd in the A.

First off what the truck is doing. The truck is gutless not sure if it's normal for the truck to rev to 2500rpm when in park as a safety but even when driving the truck doesn't go further than 2500revs. The truck feels like the cat is plugged. So I disconnected the exhaust at the V- band clamp. The truck is still gutless and feels like the truck has a plugged exhaust. After about a min of test driving the truck the truck starts to miss and slowly dies out.

Bring the truck into the parking lot. Try to do a brake stand and the accelerator docent work anymore.

Inside the truck the dash gauges don't work. The temp gauge will go to half all the way over the over heat back to no heat. Oil pressure the same thing no pressure up to less than half back to none. The cluster also says that engine power has been reduced.

Under the truck the cross members under then engine pan and trans support are smashed. The engine oil pan is completle messed. The trans support Semmes to be pushing the trans up but I dint think it's gonna be the cause of any of the problems.

All in all highly doubt that the truck has ever been serviced properly. Since this truck is at a mine a few people drive the truck. And to be honest the terrain here is not the best and these guys aren't always easy of the truck, and to top it off they are all Ford/Dodge lovers. Any ideas as to what I could start with? If I could get a code reader to get some DTCs and maybe get some diag charts to get this running.

Thanks

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
I would start with a scanner. You undoubtedly have codes stored and it will at least get you pointed in a direction, possibly even the right direction.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Have to agree the rev limited issue is most definitely a code stored in the system since there's no CEL illuminated. Also would have to agree on the easiest thing to start with would be filters: air filter and fuel filter.

I thought engine power reduced was something to do with the DPF and needing to regen but I'm not positive.

Where are you located?

Suny

May 1, 2011
According to my cross shift the air and fuel filters have been replaced. But ya I also forgot to mention that the CEL is on. The glow plug light stays on all the time now that I'm thinking about what's happening with this truck. Apparently we do have a scanner here but I can't find it. It's either supposed to be in the bosses office or someone's locked tool box.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Sounds like you have several problems going on. The low power deal is probably a clogged DPF, but I've also seen the reduced power message from other things, such as MAF sensor codes. Either way, you should do a DPF delete on it. The glow plug light staying on more than likely means that one or more glow plugs are bad. As for the gauges, I don't know. It could point to something major, or it could just be bad gauges. You really need to find some sort of scan tool you can use to watch engine parameters and see if the gauges are actually reporting what the sensors are telling them.

towboattrash34

Sep 30, 2010
Picayune, Ms
my brother inlaw had his brand new dodge dpf get colgged... he only drove it about 20 miles or so and that was it.... it never got to do a full regin.. i had to make him do a 150 mile trip to clean it out

Suny

May 1, 2011
Josh H is pretty accurate on his guessing.

I was able to find the scanner and get some codes would anyone be willing to send me the diagnosis for them?

The codes are
P2033,2453,2455,0101,244B,0401,20e2

And a u0106 the u code I'm not worried about. Even when working for GM the lead hand said not to worry a out them.

Several of the codes are DPF related. Also have an exhaust bank 1 temp high.

And when did they start putting letters in the diagnostic codes?

Suny

May 1, 2011
Since the DPF was suggested how hard would it be? Indknt think this truck is ever going to see high way again normdoes it have to go for safety or emission inspections either?

DiverCraig

Jul 26, 2011
Dallas, TX
I am sure you fixed this but the best way to fix it is simply put some time on a road, about 150 miles but could be as short as 75 miles. The filter has to get cleaned out and once the back pressure is reduced the limiter will be reset.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I am sure you fixed this but the best way to fix it is simply put some time on a road, about 150 miles but could be as short as 75 miles. The filter has to get cleaned out and once the back pressure is reduced the limiter will be reset.

You don't understand.... This truck is on a mine site, you can't drive it 150 miles or hold a steady rpm for any length of time. Most mine rigs aren't even licensed or insured.

This is a common problem for ALL vehicles with a DPF that are stuck in a small area and never see the open road.

Sounds like normal wear & tear at the mine. I have jumped some trucks, er I mean have seen some trucks jumped at a mine.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
You don't understand.... This truck is on a mine site, you can't drive it 150 miles or hold a steady rpm for any length of time.

Improvise: Secure the truck on jackstands, put in gear, set cruise control (Have a sandwich or two and listen to the radio for a few hours...while getting paid). At 75MPH it would only take two hours to do 150 miles (ASSuming that is what needs to be done).

It is curious though that ALL vehicles nowadays have to have this DPF and urea and run certain "cycles" yet some industries and situations make those cycles hard to reach (as is evident here). I would think this would be WORSE for the environment than not having them installed at all.....(think of all the pollutants going into the air while this thing is on jackstands every few thousand to clean out the DPF).

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Improvise: Secure the truck on jackstands, put in gear, set cruise control (Have a sandwich or two and listen to the radio for a few hours...while getting paid). At 75MPH it would only take two hours to do 150 miles (ASSuming that is what needs to be done).

Dunno if that will work on light duty trucks for regen or not. On a Cat engine you have to be putting a load on the engine for X amount of time. You can manually regen without a load but that only works so many times, as it does not burn the particles out as well as a transient regen.

You only get so long to do a regen if you don't meet the time line, the engine goes into limp mode and then shuts down. You can restart for 30 seconds and then it shuts off again. Real pain in the ass.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
DPFs are not required for off road use. Seems to me trucks that are used like this would be a perfect candidate for a DPF delete.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
DPFs are not required for off road use. Seems to me trucks that are used like this would be a perfect candidate for a DPF delete

Bingo, that will actually make the truck useable and reliable if you follow what Josh is saying.... Been there and done that! :thumb:

E.carter

Feb 16, 2008
Princeton, Iowa
Now working at an open pit gold mine. Unfortunately I don't have anything to read any DTCs. So I'm already F'd in the A.

First off what the truck is doing. The truck is gutless not sure if it's normal for the truck to rev to 2500rpm when in park as a safety but even when driving the truck doesn't go further than 2500revs. The truck feels like the cat is plugged. So I disconnected the exhaust at the V- band clamp. The truck is still gutless and feels like the truck has a plugged exhaust. After about a min of test driving the truck the truck starts to miss and slowly dies out.

Bring the truck into the parking lot. Try to do a brake stand and the accelerator docent work anymore.

Inside the truck the dash gauges don't work. The temp gauge will go to half all the way over the over heat back to no heat. Oil pressure the same thing no pressure up to less than half back to none. The cluster also says that engine power has been reduced.

Under the truck the cross members under then engine pan and trans support are smashed. The engine oil pan is completle messed. The trans support Semmes to be pushing the trans up but I dint think it's gonna be the cause of any of the problems.

All in all highly doubt that the truck has ever been serviced properly. Since this truck is at a mine a few people drive the truck. And to be honest the terrain here is not the best and these guys aren't always easy of the truck, and to top it off they are all Ford/Dodge lovers. Any ideas as to what I could start with? If I could get a code reader to get some DTCs and maybe get some diag charts to get this running.

Thanks

I will give you 1000.00 bucks for it and come pick it up so you dont have to bother with it:thumb: