Fleece 63mm/68mm or DT 64mm?

jmdorris

Teacherman
Sep 18, 2016
Southern Illinois
Hey all,

Been watching and reading lots of posts for a few months. I've owned my LLY for about a year now and have 275,000 on it up from the 249,000 I started with. I've done the easier mods: Intake, EFILive by Rob, Exhaust, Downpipe, Turbo horn, PCV delete, EGR delete, Intercooler pipes, lift pump, etc. About the only air mods left to be done are the manifolds/up-pipes and a turbo.

I'm not planning on powering it up past the stock fuel system to save my factory rods and pistons until they die of natural causes.

Anybody with personal experience with a similar setup have an opinion between the two? They're similarly priced so I'd go with best results over a couple bucks. Or is it worth just having a local turbo shop with a solid reputation dropping some parts in my stocker? I don't formally race or pull. It's my commuter and lighter-duty workhorse on the farm/jobsite. I just want the truck to jump alive when I punch it and haul better than the factory. I'm also a fan of whistle.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
It's not gonna feel a whole lot different no matter what turbo you put on it without a built trans because not much of that power is going to go to the ground. Build your trans and get bigger tunes. If you like whistle get different vanes

jmdorris

Teacherman
Sep 18, 2016
Southern Illinois
I'm also planning an in-place head studding. A very successful local engine builder (gas and diesel) has told me swapping one stud in at a time in place of the old stocker bolts should work just fine. Just pop them in and torque it down all the way one at a time. I don't currently have a leak.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
You should be fine doing them like that. If you are planning on doing the trans yourself, unless you have built allisons before leave it to the pros. Pay to have it done at a reputable shop or it'll be coming out again most likely. These trans are finicky.

jmdorris

Teacherman
Sep 18, 2016
Southern Illinois
You should be fine doing them like that. If you are planning on doing the trans yourself, unless you have built allisons before leave it to the pros. Pay to have it done at a reputable shop or it'll be coming out again most likely. These trans are finicky.

I’m going to build it myself. How else will I learn?! I’d rather pay twice to learn than pay once and not know. And most of these built trans are double a top shelf kit and converter. It’s not witchcraft. If I don’t build it, I can’t have pride in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I’m going to build it myself. How else will I learn?! I’d rather pay twice to learn than pay once and not know. And most of these built trans are double a top shelf kit and converter. It’s not witchcraft. If I don’t build it, I can’t have pride in it.

To each his own...I have pride in mine knowing Big Dipper built it and it will hold whatever I throw at it.

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
I built my trans in my roommates bedroom of our apartment in college, If you ask the right questions Mike and Evan are great help over the phone.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
So with the trans needing to be built aside, lets talk turbos. I know were trying to help the guy out and give him great advice but lets not beat him up over it.

Me personally used to want the fleece 68 but as time has gone on i really dont. It's nice and makes great power and sounds loud. Its just not for me thoe. The tuning side of it turned me off and the loud as hell whistle would become annoying. I like it but not as much sound as that makes. It would draw the wrong kind of attention to me and be really expensive. Secondly my power goals are not so high i really want to be 550-625 range. If the truck would only be on the street then more is better but the truth is the truck see's alot of offroad and will be retired as an off-road, fire road beater, work truck... so for me some type of 64 or a p&p stocker is what im looking at.

jmdorris

Teacherman
Sep 18, 2016
Southern Illinois
I’m primarily looking at the 63 or 64 mm versions of the drop-ins. Like I mentioned, wanting to keep stock fuel pushed the right way. Low EGT, low heat soak, a good fun truck to use and to smoke unsuspecting pony cars. I agree with bud that a 68 would be overkill. But, if it still spools at 1500...I’m down.

jmdorris

Teacherman
Sep 18, 2016
Southern Illinois
I built my trans in my roommates bedroom of our apartment in college, If you ask the right questions Mike and Evan are great help over the phone.

Yes, that’s the kind of stuff I do on the regular. I’ve had my K10 to frame and back, with an auto to SM465 swap, engine build, one-off wiring, paint, and a new dash. All in an old, dusty barn.

9e743af1aabe861beee881943f62fe07.png

3e3f07a35526afb664e8742c69ee5436.png

41753b8d3f621b978748a1ed7e468126.jpg

Reactions: 715Hunter

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I'm also planning an in-place head studding. A very successful local engine builder (gas and diesel) has told me swapping one stud in at a time in place of the old stocker bolts should work just fine. Just pop them in and torque it down all the way one at a time. I don't currently have a leak.

If it has the factory head gasket still, studding it like that without the updated gaskets won't save you.

jmdorris

Teacherman
Sep 18, 2016
Southern Illinois
If it has the factory head gasket still, studding it like that without the updated gaskets won't save you.

Everyone seems to do stud jobs with GM gaskets and hold twin boost levels. How is my factory gasket different from a replacement GM? And I’m staying at a single and not going to exceed 45psi. Typically no more that 35.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
With the LBZ they changed to a riveted design and changed again with the LML platform
The Lly gaskets are a ticking time bomb
Do yourself a favor and just buy a kit from Brent @LDS or ATP :thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Everyone seems to do stud jobs with GM gaskets and hold twin boost levels. How is my factory gasket different from a replacement GM? And I’m staying at a single and not going to exceed 45psi. Typically no more that 35.

You have much to learn. Worries me about you building that trans....