Finally got my 1st diesel... where do I start?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Pics need to be resized smaller. We had an update a while back that deleted the forum's resizer. If you're on your phone, the Tapatalk app works well for posting pics, too.

Balance rates are done at idle, engine at operating temp and also in drive, engine at operating temp.

Id like to see this "open spot" you mention, and also the area on pass side rear of engine. Also of the glowplug controller area on back of the drivers side engine.

That 122- sensor is the boost sensor. It should be plugged into a rubber grommet on top of cast intake inlet right there next to the turbo inlet. You cant miss the grommet. Theres one code down. :)

Yep, it sounds like a complete hack of a mechanic got ahold of this truck.

Sorry to hear about the family troubles. Keep your head up.

Last edited:

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
The fuse for the glow plugs is beneath the actual fuse box. Need to take it off and ohm it out. May fix that issue. Need to get that sensor back where it should be. If you’ve got blocker plates chances are a stock tune was flashed into it and there’s that issue fixed too.

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
Ok so maybe the plastic cover comes off to expose that fuse. What sensor "needs to be back where it should be"? The truck came with an Edge CS is the glovebox. When I plugged it in, it said there was no CELs and that it was on economy level. Is there a way to tell it there are blocker plates on, or is that a whole tune type of thing?

I have a few pictures to post quick

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Maybe it’s just me but the pressure sensor you posted doesn’t look like it’s in anything. If the truck has blocker plates the edge won’t delete so there is those codes. And yes the plastic cover comes off to expose the fuse.

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
The 1st picture I posted is the 122 sensor that isnt clipped to anything but has a hose going to the intake I believe. The 2nd picture is that relay I pulled out... that whole unit isn't bolted to anything, just laying there. Looks like 2 bolts, with metal sleeves, could be a ground for that unit. What should it be bolted to? I dont think I see anything in that area it could go on...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The truck had an EGR, but it has been deleted. That much I can see very easily in the pictures. It must not have been tuned for the delete. That could explain the EGR and the MAF codes.

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
The unit with the 2 hollow metal sleeves is the intake heater control . The intake heater is already removed and pluged, I can see that in one picture. Where do the wires go? Looks like one is bolted to the back of the alternator.

Thats the p0540 code.....

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
In the first pic, the 122 sensor clips to the tab right above it in the pic. The tab is just bent up , should be at a 90 straight down from where it's bolted on.

I know you said the MAF looks clean, but you need to spray it down with MAF cleaner. You have an oiled filter, chances are it's been contaminated with oil from the filter.

Last edited:

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
Do you guys think I should pull the driver side or passenger side valve cover off 1st to take a peak?
The passenger side looks to have someone in there already and closed it up with new gaskets...

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
Well I'm going to have some free time coming up in a few days and I was wondering if I should stay away from the new gaskets or if that should be the side to do.
Did you see the picture of the balance rates?

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
Also, is there a thread with someone else's step by step, or something close that I can try to follow?

Last edited: