Finally got my 1st diesel... where do I start?

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
Now, Im still doing research on what injectors to get, from where, how many, and how to do the swap (or maybe have someone else do it... I'm poor tho and I know the labor is crazy), but in the meantime, I want to move on to the trans.
I know everyone is going to use something different, but what are you all running thru your Allison? Should I just unplug it and fill it back up or should I take the pan off too and clean everything inside the best I can? Takes 2 gallons, correct?

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Brent lds. http://lincolndieselspecialties.com He sales Bosch remans and the cheapest around. Plus great customer service. Also replace or really clean them high pressure lines.

Dex lll is the fluid. Run only a red Allison spin on. Theres a magnet on that. Don't throw it away with old filter. I would also drop the pan and replace internal filter since you don't know the history.

If you want to go cheap start with that pass side and see if you find the leak and fix it.

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
$2k for fuel injectors is the cheapest around?? OMG!
My trans has a white Napa filter on it now, with no magnet. I assume I can get another magnet... GM says it doesnt need an internal filter until rebuild, I guess its safe insurance tho. Hopefully the pan gasket isn't trashed up too bad.

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
Here's what I forgot to ask... I see internal filters for a shallow pan and a deep pan...
How do I know which one I have?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If its the stock stamped steel pan, the shallow one is standard on our trucks. Its about 2-3 inches deep.
Deep pan would look the same, but be 4-5 inches deep.
Clear as mud?

And yes, LB7 injectors are not cheap. But then, neither are the other models.
Trouble is, with an LB7 its just not prudent to replace one at a time as they go out.
This is why I never recommend an LB7 to a new-to-diesels person, unless they can do all their own work.

Why havent you taken this POS back to the dealer you bought it from?

Last edited:

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
If its the stock stamped steel pan, the shallow one is standard on our trucks. Its about 2-3 inches deep.
Deep pan would look the same, but be 4-5 inches deep.
Clear as mud?

And yes, LB7 injectors are not cheap. But then, neither are the other models.
Trouble is, with an LB7 its just not prudent to replace one at a time as they go out.
This is why I never recommend an LB7 to a new-to-diesels person, unless they can do all their own work.

Why havent you taken this POS back to the dealer you bought it from?

Thanks for the measurements, thats what I was looking for.

There's no black market or cheaper way to find injectors? I dont even care if they're brand spanking new, they just need to work and not leak..
Is there anyone who upgraded their injectors and has their stockers laying around?? Is buying used injectors the worst idea for a diesel?

I didnt take it back because I paid cash, as-is and it just needs repair, I dont think the truck is trash (yet).

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
With Duramax injectors, esp LB7s...you get what you pay for. LDS has the best rep of any vendor, period. At least send Brent a PM with your situation. He may be able to help.

There are injector sets for sale in the Marketplace from time to time, but in most of the cases, they are really only good to be sold as cores.
When you undo the high pressure lines, crud that's built up between the inside of the nut and the sealing nub can and will fall into the injector inlet.
When that happens, you've essentially ruined the injector.
You could risk a set that was "installed, not driven much, removed for larger"...but honestly, you sound like a guy who shouldnt take that risk.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Buy once cry once. You and your family will hate yourself if you waste time and money installing questionable injectors instead of spending more on new good stuff.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
If you need to explain it to your family , this might help , 13 mpg on junk injectors 18 mpg on good Lincoln remans thats 30% better , so $3000 average yearly fuel cost you could save $900 per year if you drive between 12000 and 15000 miles per year , if you drive more you save more by buying good injectors , you literally save the cost of the new injectors in 2.5 years ! That may help !

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
There is only one way to replace injectors on an LB7. That is to do it correct the first time or you WILL be doing them again shortly.

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
I understand you get what you pay for, but most stuff in this country (and others) is just simply overpriced! Wheither it's from an expensive company with a name that everyone trusts or an unknown company, everything is overpriced these days... Especially diesel stuff. Like, I can get ARP head studs for a Mustang 5.0 for like $100, ARP studs for a Duramax is like $600... WHY?? Does it take $500 more in matierials? Doubt it. Does it take $500 more in the process to make them, doubt it... They are just overpriced because it's for a diesel! It's marketing and crappy capitalism! No need to be overpriced, other than the fact that they can!
I try not to be cheap with most of my stuff, but paying double is just dumb!
I found a place called InjectorsDirect.com and they sell sets of 8 for $800 or sets of 4 for $450. They are refurbished OEM Bosch injectors. They come with a 1-year/unlimited mile warranty. They are tested and guaranteed to be in factory specs... How bad can they be?? I tried to look up bad reviews on them, but haven't found anything...

I know everybody on here is friends with Brent from LDS and I'm sure he's a good guy and the business is great and they are a sponsor on here (and I dont want to be a traitor)... but they sell sets of 8 for $2k and that price difference, means the world!

If the leak was just a return line, that would be good news for me, but I have the worst luck and hardly ever catch a break... so I'm not counting on that, I'm expecting the worst situation, as usual.
Someone I know was watching the injector rates on the Edge CS and said #7 looked funky... Idk what that means...

What I would like to do soon is pull the valve cover off and try to see whats really going on in there.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
If you confirm you need injectors and can't afford to pay for good ones the first time, you for sure won't be able to afford good ones the second time around sooner than later. Listen to what everyone is telling you about injectors especially for an LB7, get them from LDS now or do it again in a month or 2 after the cheap ones fail. Do some research on the cheaper ones and you will find a lot of people have trouble with them.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
....come back to us after you go thru the hassle of replacing those ID.com injectors twice or three times....tell us if you saved money and time in the end.
There's a REASON we recommend Brent and LDS. But its your money....spend it the way you want.

As for your rant about pricing, we've all said it in the past at one time or another. Diesel = gourmet when it comes to parts pricing. Sorry to tell you, but these trucks arent cheap to maintain even in stock form.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Injectors Direct refurbished injectors are basically core injectors that they have tested to be OK injectors for now. They are not new or even remanufactured injectors. They are literally old, used injectors. If you're comfortable buying and installing old, used injectors in your truck, you may have luck, and you may be replacing them sooner rather than later.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
Good luck..... When you spend a whole weekend tearing it down then have to do it again in 3 months you will figure out why people are telling you what they are telling you. I'm not "friends" with brent. I'm not too smart a guy but I'm smart enough to know when the Duramax guru's on here tell me to buy good quality injectors and do it right the first time, well... that's what i did.

I went cheap and bought a FPR on amazon for $80. Damn thing lasted 2 weeks before I had to tear it all down and get a quality (expensive) one.

And remember nobody likes an askhole.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I understand you get what you pay for, but most stuff in this country (and others) is just simply overpriced! Wheither it's from an expensive company with a name that everyone trusts or an unknown company, everything is overpriced these days... Especially diesel stuff. Like, I can get ARP head studs for a Mustang 5.0 for like $100, ARP studs for a Duramax is like $600... WHY?? Does it take $500 more in matierials? Doubt it. Does it take $500 more in the process to make them, doubt it... They are just overpriced because it's for a diesel! It's marketing and crappy capitalism! No need to be overpriced, other than the fact that they can!
I try not to be cheap with most of my stuff, but paying double is just dumb!
I found a place called InjectorsDirect.com and they sell sets of 8 for $800 or sets of 4 for $450. They are refurbished OEM Bosch injectors. They come with a 1-year/unlimited mile warranty. They are tested and guaranteed to be in factory specs... How bad can they be?? I tried to look up bad reviews on them, but haven't found anything...

I know everybody on here is friends with Brent from LDS and I'm sure he's a good guy and the business is great and they are a sponsor on here (and I dont want to be a traitor)... but they sell sets of 8 for $2k and that price difference, means the world!

If the leak was just a return line, that would be good news for me, but I have the worst luck and hardly ever catch a break... so I'm not counting on that, I'm expecting the worst situation, as usual.
Someone I know was watching the injector rates on the Edge CS and said #7 looked funky... Idk what that means...

What I would like to do soon is pull the valve cover off and try to see whats really going on in there.

your ignorance is very clear here. why dont you count the number of head studs in a duramax vs a mustang, the size difference, and the torque rating between them. Not to mention the amount of mustang engines out there vs the dmax. supply and demand. Terrible comparison as to why one is more than the other

Josh stated exactly why they are cheap junk. Your not "catching a break" on this issue because you put yourself in the situation going against what everyone here is stating. You think we recommend LDS because they are a vendor? let me explain this board a bit to you. We dont just let ANY vendor join here. Vendors are given a hard look over on being aloud to sell here and must carry a reputation to back. Brent and the guys at LDS offer injectors at the some of the best prices/quality and i say this because i and MANY others have bought through them with great service and reliability. Its after reading these types of things on the board that we ok the vendor. Not a person here is stuck to a vendor or gets paid to bump their recommendation to you. we see someone turning south and not fixing their business, we will quickly voice that info and reevaluate.

Now quit griping about the price and start looking at the "why". The diesel industry is full of people trying to rip people off. its terrible but this is a young performance industry and at the end of the day, the customer is the one who suffers. Alot of us here have been through the ringer or know who to stay away from. If you choose to not listen to our advice after asking for help, you will quickly see how little help comes along