Finally got my 1st diesel... where do I start?

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
The wires for the plug at the bottom of the fuel filter?? Wont the engine go into limp mode incase there's water in the fuel?

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
So if I put the sensor back in to plug the hole, It will run fine? Where do I get another one at? Is that an Autozone part or a dealership only part?

Do you think my truck is safe to start? is there anything else I should do or check before I put oil back in and start it up??

I dont think anyone answered this question for me earlier.... whats the easiest way to put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the engine?

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Just google "mechanical gauge port lb7" there's a lot of threads on it already.

Just put the oil in it and start it. Pressure will be back up until the crankcase fills up again. Theres a lot of good comments on this thread how to check for leaks.

You do know you have to prime that filter? If you don't know how. Google

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
There's a gauge port? Never heard of that before, thats awesome!
I saw a video on pressurizing the filter on youtube... I'll watch it again.
I'm glad thats not a dealer part, $20 isnt too bad.

Thanks for the fast replies guys!

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
Thanks for the tip!

I drove about 60 miles total since the oil was supposidly changed, and dumped out about 6 gal of fuel. So that might be around a gallon per 10 miles.... is that a really bad leak?

Also, it looks like somebody was inside the passenger side upper and lower valve covers (clean blue gaskets), so do you think it had some work done over there and now the driver side is leaking? Or maybe they opened up the passenger side, found the leak, and said OH HELL NO and closed it back up with new gaskets to get rid of it?

What side of the engine is the #7 injector on? Someone told me the balance rate on #7 was a little funky...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I would suspect someone worked on the right side of the motor and now it is leaking. If you try to cut corners and don't replace all the return line seals, they will often leak. It is also possible there is some crud on the end of the lines where they go on the injectors causing them not to seal. Injector #7 is on that same side.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Remember it could be a HP side leak also , so while the eng is running and you see a mist instinctively you will want to put your hand down to check it , DO NOT , if the eng rpms are up there is enough pressure in a fine mist to inject fuel into your blood stream , hold something up like paper to let it hit it instead of your hand , now a drip on a low pressure line is no problem ! I only mention this because you are new to these possible dangers !

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
Remember it could be a HP side leak also , so while the eng is running and you see a mist instinctively you will want to put your hand down to check it , DO NOT , if the eng rpms are up there is enough pressure in a fine mist to inject fuel into your blood stream , hold something up like paper to let it hit it instead of your hand , now a drip on a low pressure line is no problem ! I only mention this because you are new to these possible dangers !

I probably wouldn't reach for diesel fuel, but thanks for the heads up. I really dont know what to expect with all this stuff. I know cars and gas trucks.. parts replacing and stuff like that, but diesel is a whole new world to me.

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
Now I'm having trouble with the fuel filter. The old one was on there way too tight, but spun right off. The new Valuecraft filter only has 3 threads on it, where as the Napa that came off has like 5 or 6. It looks the same other than that... it goes on and spins freely but never gets tight... and once it's on there and spinning, it's hard to get back off. Do I have the wrong filter?? It's a V798. The 7 YouTube videos I watched all looked the same but mine just won't get tight.
And there's no old rings left behind...

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
Now I'm having trouble with the fuel filter. The old one was on there way too tight, but spun right off. The new Valuecraft filter only has 3 threads on it, where as the Napa that came off has like 5 or 6. It looks the same other than that... it goes on and spins freely but never gets tight... and once it's on there and spinning, it's hard to get back off. Do I have the wrong filter?? It's a V798. The 7 YouTube videos I watched all looked the same but mine just won't get tight.
And there's no old rings left behind...

There is a thick rubber gasket in the middle of the filter. Make sure the old one came off with the old filter

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
I did see that, the old one is still on the old filter. Do you think it's safe to put the old one back on just so I can start the engine to make sure the bearings aren't trash?
Also, if anyone has Snapchat, I can show you pictures of anything that might help. My username is the same.

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
Maybe I'll just wait until tomorrow and get another Napa Gold or AC delco... I just realized it was 23:00. Tomorrow is another day to be thankful for.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I only run ACDelco or Parker/Racor filters on the factory filter head. Most aftermarket stock style fuel filters are junk.

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
So I got the AC Delco on, zero issues. Took about 150 pumps to get the air out. Took about 8 seconds to fire up, then it took about 6 or 7 seconds for EOP to move at all. It's up to 61-71 at idle, higher wit RPMs. That all sounds about normal right?? No engine knocks or anything like that, altho there is a noise that I cant quit put my finger on. It kinda sounds like air going thru an air filter, but it really quiet and it sounds like a pulse, same pulse as the engine itself... doesnt sounds like a problem tho.